Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Leak in rear end seal

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2005, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leak in rear end seal

How hard is it to replace the seal in the rear differential right where the drive shaft goes in? Just noticed today that I have a leak there on my 01 Tacoma 4x4. Thanks, Mike
Old 09-04-2005, 01:47 PM
Contributing Member

its not too tough...just unbolt the driveshaft, unbolt the flange and pull it off then yank out the seal...grease up the new one slide it in and bolt everything back together
Old 09-04-2005, 02:05 PM

Well the only thing I can say is go and buy the seal and make sure you have something cylindircal (HUGE socket, WD-40 can...etc) that will fit on the outer edge of the seal (the metal part) yet small enough to fit inside the diff housing.

You WILL need this to properly mount the new seal cause you can't just slide it in. I ended up puncturing a hole in a WD-40 can (to releive pressure obviously) and then using it as it was perfect snug fit without scaring up the inside at all. I did both my sides about a month ago and no more oil anywhere or smelly rear end.
Old 09-04-2005, 03:12 PM

Thanks allot guy's. I was hoping that it could be done without tearing apart the rear end, doesn't sound to bad.
One more question.... My Tacoma has 75,000 on it, while I have the driveshaft off do you think I should replace the universials too? Mike
Old 09-04-2005, 03:23 PM
Contributing Member

on the d-shaft? I wouldn't I've got over 400k on mine, factory driveshaft and u joints
Old 09-04-2005, 04:42 PM

I just realized that you were talking about a different seal than what I was talking about. I was talking about the inner axle seals and Im sorry to mistake you, silver truck is right above... theres never a need to replace the U's unless they are clunkin' and goin out. Keep em greased and the shaft at stock angle and they should last for a long long time.

But before you do that I would first check my diff. breather. That is usually the first thing to check when that seal starts to leak. Usually all you need to do is clean out/get a new breather (might as well extend it and do the breather mod as its cheaper than getting a new one from Toyota ) and it will stop leaking. Oil will leak past there usually only when there is excess pressure, cause 75k aint nuttin and the breather woudl be my first guess. You shoudl try it first and see... just get a new one or clear yours out really well then clean everything off and see if the leak stops.

G' luck
Old 09-04-2005, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by noahrexion
I just realized that you were talking about a different seal than what I was talking about. I was talking about the inner axle seals and Im sorry to mistake you, silver truck is right above... theres never a need to replace the U's unless they are clunkin' and goin out. Keep em greased and the shaft at stock angle and they should last for a long long time.

But before you do that I would first check my diff. breather. That is usually the first thing to check when that seal starts to leak. Usually all you need to do is clean out/get a new breather (might as well extend it and do the breather mod as its cheaper than getting a new one from Toyota ) and it will stop leaking. Oil will leak past there usually only when there is excess pressure, cause 75k aint nuttin and the breather woudl be my first guess. You shoudl try it first and see... just get a new one or clear yours out really well then clean everything off and see if the leak stops.

G' luck
A few weeks ago I was driving down a stream or creek bed and droped off into a hole so deep that the water was 1 foot from coming in my window.
Needless to say water got in everything except the tranny and the engine.
We blew out a seal on the front axle so we replaced that and drained the transfer case and the differential and they both had water in them.
My mechanic gave me hell for driving it home without draining it right there in the boonies. There was so much water in the differential that when he removed the plug the water and grease shot out like a guiser! He then did the breather mods and said I could still have problems. Today I noticed the leak starting.
I orderd the seal and a few other things but I'll leave the universals alone for now. My mechanic's out of town for a while so I'll do this one. I'm not a bad mechanic but this toy is all new territory for me. Thanks for all the info and help guy's, Mike