Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

leak in my axel seal

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 09:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
leak in my axel seal

so i went to gat my brakes done the other day and found out one of my axels has a leak in the seal

the rear right axel is the culpret

the guy told me i has to not only replace the seal, but the bearings as well because they are connected to one another. also my drum brake would have to be replaced due to contamination. as well as an abs sensor.

is this all corect?

has anyone done this?

does 8-900 sound right?

is this something i can do myself so save labor?
Old 07-12-2006, 09:25 AM
Banned

do a search on axle seals.

800-900 for the axle seal and bearing?????? does that include lube?

I would definately go elsewhere.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:56 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I had this done before I knew I could do it myself. It only cost me $200 for everything (labor, parts, breaks).

I would either go somewhere else, or do it yourself. It will take you a few hours but you can do it.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:25 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why the bearings? I just did the outter seals and replaced the shoes. Also be sure to do the diff breather mod afterwards to help prevent this in the future. Here's the link to the breather mod. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f129/rear-differential-breather-mod-75747/
Old 07-12-2006, 10:32 AM

they said the bearings were attached to the seal. but i think ill pick up an in depth manual and do it myself. and the diff breather is def. in the plan now too. thanks guys. i tired an axel seal search and a whole list of randoms popped up.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:56 AM

i just did this last weekend on my tacoma. Exact same setup with the exception that it doesn't have ABS. I do not know about replacing the ABS sensor, maybe that nees to be done maybe not, but I can't speak from experience. What I can tell you is the job is not difficult to do. You will need to replace only the axle seal and not the wheel bearing seal in order to fix the leaky axle. The axle seal is 7 or so dollars at NAPA. You will also need new drum pads for the rear drum brakes. These run 25 dollars for the cheapest set at napa, and go up from there. Also clean the entire break setup really really well with brake cleaner to get all that oil out. If that gets on the pads you'll be redoing the whole thing. As an added precation clean the drum really well and have it turned, just to make sure all that oil is out of there.

There is an excellent write up on replacing the axle seal here:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f128/replacing-rear-axle-seals-3rd-gen-4runner-76339/

You will also need to replace the oil in the diff as its going to run out of the axle housing when you take out the axle. If you haven't done it recently, I would drain the diff and replace the oil at this time as long as you're there. You will need a 24mm socket to remove both the drain plug and the refill plug. You MUST have a socket to remove the drain plug, you can't get at it with a wrench. When you finally go to remove the axle seal, that can be tough. I used a regular hammer to get it out. Just put the claw of the hammer behind the seal and pry it out. All told you are looking at 50-60 dollars in parts maybe 70 if you don't have the socet (minus the ABS sensor). 900 is outrageous for this job. If you are comfortable with it, do it yourself and save hundreds. I had never done this before, and I thought it was easy to do. I also would not regard myself as experienced automotively. I replaced the seals on both sides when I did this becaue I already had the diff drained and had to replaced that pads, so why not spend 30 extra minutes now to save way more time and $ later? Good luck!

PS to remove the axle you will be removing the brake line on the side you are replacing the axle seal. This will require the brake line to be bled. Make sure you know how to do this before starting, or you won't be stopping.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:05 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Ironmike4x4
Also be sure to do the diff breather mod afterwards to help prevent this in the future. Here's the link to the breather mod. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75747
Old 07-13-2006, 08:42 AM

I just did the axle seal on both drivers and passenger rear of my truck. I followed the guide and picked up two timken 1960 seals for a whopping $12 at autozone. It took no more than an hour a side. Had I not broken one of the bolts that holds the hub to the axle it would of been the quickest cleanest fixes I had ever done. No speacial tools needed.

Anyways, I dont see how the bearing or abs sensor can be ruined by a leaking seal. The ABS sensor is just a magnet inside the axle tube.

As for your brake shoes, they will have to go. I am planning on replacing mine in a week or so. In the mean time I just unloaded 3 cans of brake cleaner and one roll of paper towels to get as much gear oil out of the drums as possible.