Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Leak coming from front diff...pics

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 04:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Leak coming from front diff...pics

So I was under changing my front diff fluid yesterday, when I noticed that there was a leak coming from where the driver's side axle enters the differential housing.

I have looked at all of the CV boots to further make sure nothing else is torn, and they are all good.

Interesting thing, when I drained the fluid out of the diff, about 1.2 qts came out, which is what the amount that it should hold, based on my manual. So the leak, can't be too big.
My question is there a seal/bearing in there that is going out to cause this? Is this something I can replace under the truck assuming I get that drivers side shaft outa there? Any insight would help. thanks!

I know the pics are close to the same, but I was trying to get good light on it...
Attached Thumbnails Leak coming from front diff...pics-leak1.jpeg   Leak coming from front diff...pics-leak2.jpeg  
Old 07-04-2009, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Watch what happens next time you change your engine oil and it comes time to take your filter off... the oil will run right down the side of the diff and drip off right there... making it look pretty convincingly like a diff leak. I thought I had a leak too until I paid attention when changing my oil. Clean it all off real good and then check back in a few days, I would be surprised if your "leak" hadn't stopped. It could be a real leak, but try this first.

Last edited by kmcaprice14; 07-04-2009 at 05:35 PM.
Old 07-04-2009, 05:42 PM

Ok so it looks like I will be replacing that driverside seal in the diff...

I found the FSM with removal/installation.

I have read you can do this w/o draining all of the fluid out of the front diff...some might just come out where the driveaxle meets the diff housing...is this true? Can I just put a bucket under there to catch what leaks out from there? I ask because

1) I am poor and I just replaced my diff fluid yesterday at $12/qt

2) The drain plug on the front diff is on it's last leg...If I believe it has one more removal before a new one is needed...

and

3) I have about half a quart leftover I could use to re-fill...
Old 07-04-2009, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by kmcaprice14
the oil will run right down the side of the diff and drip off right there... making it look pretty convincingly like a diff leak. .
I thought this could be it too...but the thing is I wiped it off yesterday after I was done changing the fluid, and that photo was from today.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:16 AM

So another quick question about this...I know it is the seal that is leaking, and it's a fairly inexpensive part.

But I posted over on ttora too about this and one of the repliers has the exact same truck as me...year, model, make, w/ manual hubs also. Said they had the exact same leak coming from the exact location, but they weren't going to do anything to it because they have manual hubs.

Well, I understand that w/ manual hubs the driveaxle isn't spinning unless the hubs are locked/engaged. So in the summer, when not needing 4WD, my hubs aren't locked. So I would say the wear is minimal. Yet, I tend to keep my hubs locked in the winter times due to the condidtions of the roads here. This would pretty much be equivalent to a "push button" 4WD. So there is more wear in the winter.

My question then, can I get away with leaving this how it currently is (small leak) or should I attack it before the winter? And if left how much worse can it get...I've had the truck 5 years and that's all the leak I've ever noticed...and also as I stated above I got the 1.2 qts out of the diff when I drained it...
Old 07-05-2009, 12:34 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it dripping yet?
That looks to be a very small leak and I still wonder if it wasn't just some residue dripping down after the change.

I'd wipe it off and leave it for a day over a piece of cardboard and see how much fluid you have sitting there the next day.
That'll give you an idea of how urgent it is.

Fink
Old 07-05-2009, 01:45 PM

Well, after I got done the change, I wiped it down. That picture was taken yesterday, which was the day after the change. I wiped it down after I took that picture. i just went outside to check it, and there is a little bit of leakage, about the same as in the photo. I don't think it has even dripped yet, and if it has it's all going onto the skid plate. I can tell it's the new stuff because it's still clean. Plus, if it was residue from after the change, it would be coming from the fill plug which is facing forward...that is the drain plug and it's coming from where the driveaxle enters the housing above the drain plug...

I can do the cardboard trick, but I'm not sure that will even produce anything...unless I put it on top of the skid.

And it seems the fill plug is pretty close to being horizontal with that female housing, so it would seem to me that the worst leakage would happen when that driveaxle is spinning and kicking fluid around, unless it's sloshing about while driving. So I'm wondering how much worse it will get and if it's worth tearing it apart now. Like the picture shows and I've observed, if anything it's a very slow leak, due to the near correct amount of old fluid that came out of there...

Last edited by KrashDH; 07-05-2009 at 01:48 PM.