Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Leak at 3rd member- 94 V6

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2003, 07:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leak at 3rd member- 94 V6

I was at the gas station after work this morning, and I noticed a drop of gear oil hanging at the bottom of my 3rd member. I got down underneath, and lo and behold, there is a leak. It appears to be coming around the area of the two bottom most nuts. Has this happened to anyone? I was just under there last week doing my oil change and I didn't see it then. I am hoping that all I need to do is just tighten the nuts. If I have to replace the gasket, I assume that will involve yanking out the axles, and dropping the 3rd member. Hell if I have to do that, I think that I will go out and pick up a Lock-Rite for the rear tomorrow! :pat:
Old 04-27-2003, 02:52 PM

Re: Leak at 3rd member- 94 V6

Originally posted by seafarinman
I was at the gas station after work this morning, and I noticed a drop of gear oil hanging at the bottom of my 3rd member. I got down underneath, and lo and behold, there is a leak. It appears to be coming around the area of the two bottom most nuts. Has this happened to anyone? I was just under there last week doing my oil change and I didn't see it then. I am hoping that all I need to do is just tighten the nuts. If I have to replace the gasket, I assume that will involve yanking out the axles, and dropping the 3rd member. Hell if I have to do that, I think that I will go out and pick up a Lock-Rite for the rear tomorrow! :pat:
It happens. Just check the gear oil level at the fill nut and make sure you aren't low. Also, check the pinion flange for play...put it in neutral and grab the drive shaft and see if there is any movement from the flange. Sometimes the crush sleeve and oils seal goes bad...happened to me last year in my '94 PU. If all is cool, just tighten the nuts that you see the leak from. If you do need to reseal it, you will have to pull the axles and pull the 3rd, take off the old gasket material and reseal. It's really not that big of a deal...I've got pulling the 3rd down to about 30 min.

...but it is always a good excuse to put a locker in!!!

Good luck!

Greg
E-MAIL MY WEBSITE
Old 04-27-2003, 03:01 PM

Thanks for the info. I took out the fill plug, and was only able to put in a little squirt of gear oil in there before it was full again. So I guess that I didn't lose much fluid at all. I think that I am going to go out and pick up that locker tomorrow though! I am just apprehensive about the "banging" sounds that other pocket locker users have reported. Also I am accustomed to accelerating out of corners! But I can adjust. Thanks again.
Old 04-27-2003, 03:10 PM

Thanks for the info. I took out the fill plug, and was only able to put in a little squirt of gear oil in there before it was full again. So I guess that I didn't lose much fluid at all. I think that I am going to go out and pick up that locker tomorrow though! I am just apprehensive about the "banging" sounds that other pocket locker users have reported. Also I am accustomed to accelerating out of corners! But I can adjust. Thanks again.
Banging is COOL! I have a Detroit in my '94 in the rear and a TrueTrac in the front. You certainly get looks from people when you take off hard from a light and shift into second...and...BANG! Cornering is something to get used to, especially in the rain!

Later.

Greg
Old 04-27-2003, 08:21 PM

Greg,
How much lift do you have on your 1994 pickup? I have been tossing around the idea of an IFS lift, or whether I should wait to do an SAS. I am no hardcore wheeler as of yet. I have a line on a used Pro-Comp Stage 2 from a 4Runner, so I would just be buying the front part.
Old 04-28-2003, 02:39 PM

Greg,
How much lift do you have on your 1994 pickup? I have been tossing around the idea of an IFS lift, or whether I should wait to do an SAS. I am no hardcore wheeler as of yet. I have a line on a used Pro-Comp Stage 2 from a 4Runner, so I would just be buying the front part.
I have the Trailmaster 4" front IFS lift and the Rockstomper IFS travel kit...combine that with 5" lift 56" long AOR Poly-Eye springs in the rear and a 2" body lift. If you can get the Pro-Comp lift, I'd say go for it and get used to the height before committing to SAS.

Good luck.

Greg