Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

LCA bushings

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LCA bushing help

Has anyone changed thier lower control arm bushings (2nd gen)? I'm getting a ton of rattling under the front end and I'm going to replace all the ball joints next week and figured I'd go ahead with the LCA bushings as well. Now, I have tried to replace them before and found out the hard way that they need to be pressed out. Since I'll have it all taken apart for the ball joints, I figured I'd just pull the whole control arm off. What type of place should I take it? Machine shop, Stealership? Can I rent a bushing press? Is there even such a thing?

Thanks.

Last edited by ChickenLover; 05-20-2004 at 08:26 PM.
Old 05-21-2004, 03:54 PM

Anybody?
Old 08-12-2005, 09:16 AM

So what happened? my second gen is beginning to squeak.
Old 08-12-2005, 10:42 AM

Well, I went through the hell of replacing them. To no avail. It still rattles. It's looking more and more like the inner spindle bushings.
Old 08-12-2005, 10:54 AM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Curious to hear just how much fun it was to replace them. Thinking of doing the same myself. Did you go with poly replacements? Does it feel better now?

I have a popping that I'm sure isn't caused by bushings, rather more likely to be the lift, but at 216k the bushings are bound to be worn out...
Old 08-12-2005, 11:35 AM

My truck came from the east coast so rust may have been an issue. I had to cut the old ones out with a torch. When it came time to put the new bushings in I tried to press them in with large vise. I cranked on that thing so hard, I had to back off in fear of breaking my friend's vise. The bushings didn't even begin to go in. I had to heat up the control arm with the torch unitl it was nice and malleable and quickly pound the bushings in one by one before it cooled down. Then hit it with water before the rubber caught on fire. If you have access to an actual press, it would be much easier.

I didn't use polys and I didn't notice any difference in ride. Really, the only good that came out of it was the fact that my control arms got a nice new paint job.

Last edited by ChickenLover; 08-12-2005 at 11:36 AM.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Poly LCA bushings are a real PITA to install.

I found that pusing them out with a shop press and alot of WD40/ lube was they way to go... Makes it far easier to get the tings apart for the inner sleeves to be re-used.

I ended up having some inner sleeves made out of stainless to prevent rust issues...
Old 08-12-2005, 02:35 PM

Someone did a good write up for this. Can't seem to find it though.

I remember the person used sockets instead of the SSTs to remove the bushings.
Old 08-12-2005, 02:53 PM
Contributing Member

I have a rattle under my front end. I suspect it is the tie rod ends, when I went to grab them the moved very easily and made a little noise when rotated to the stop. Check tie rods.
Old 08-13-2005, 07:49 AM

Hey guys I have installed the poly bushings in my rig, They are a pain but it's not hard when you use a MAPP gas torch. I used the Energy Suspension kit. You have to burn the old bushings out and clean up the old steel. Before you install the poly bushings you need to grease them up with Formula 5 by ES then there will be no sqeeks.
Old 08-14-2005, 04:05 PM

I went with poly bushing on my 91, had to take it to a shop to get it done but it rides tons better.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:53 AM

Talking

Lotsa great info ..or @least insight in this thread. Thanx guys. Haven't exactly figured out which way I want to go about getting my new MOOG poly LCA bushings in yet. I have @least gathered that it's gonna be a PITA.. ..which will be in the same spirit of this whole process thus far. Referring to the removal of the back passenger side camber bolt. Ended up using my cut off wheel by grinding both ends of the camber bolt down as close to the frame as I could then twisting the whole A-Arm with the ground down ends of the bolt @ opposite ends of the horizontal slots. Had to wedge a big screwdriver between the front bushing washer/frame to make room.. then punch the previously 'head end' of the bolt back behind the the frame. Then I was able to 'twist' the whole arm out. All that probably belongs in another thread and I apologize if so..scold me please if I deserve it=] I got the rubber part of the old bushings out by working from the inside of the LCA out if that makes sense. Popped the bushing washer off then cut the rubber 'lip' off. used pbBlaster for lube then used a big punch and hammer to beat em out. My new bushings have to be pressed in which means now I have to get the metal sleeve out of the LCA that housed the rubber part of the old bushing. Thought I might be able to maybe punch it out but that's not gonna work. Might buy a socket that's the right size and try that. Thought about drilling a hole in it and using a screwdriver or something in the hole to try spinning it to break it loose. Point is: I Hate taking my projects to someone else until I'm pissed off enough to give up. Still not sure if I'll need a press to get the new ones in. wondering if I could use a big vice to seat them?? Any advice and experience would be welcomed and appreciated. uhhh..this is really long..Hope I didn't just break a buncha rules.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:17 AM

Check out energy suspensions bushings for your rig. I have a set for the control arms on my Runner, and they're great. She still squeaks and creeks, but I know that the front end is solid. I used a torch to burn our the old rubber ones, and I will have to check, but I bought a set of cores for the lowers for reasonably cheap from another member. I have a write up on doing mine; but it's not very thorough. Search for a write up with "meatball" in the title....(I've been a bad boy and not updated it like I should)
Old 11-06-2012, 06:53 PM

Thanx wiitarded[lmao] funny you should mention it.. I'm actually waiting for a set of RED Sway bar/end links from "Prothane Suspension Parts" to be delivered. Ordered them from "carid" first and the order was cancelled cause they couldn't get them from energy suspensions. Just had to have the red ones so here i sit..waitin'. Know yur talkin' LCA bushings but figured I'd share. But I DID get my new Camber bolts/washers/nuts today..Toyota had to order 'em for me. The Big socket/extention trick along with heat seems to be working ok getting the 'cores' out..well, 2 outta 4 so far..and it's taking way too long..and I'm sure my neighbors love all the noise. One of these days I'll have to get me one of them garages with all the cool tools n stuff