Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Knocking! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2003, 06:45 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Knocking! Help!

Seems my runner just keeps getting worse.
Today, while driving from Landcruisers NW where i just picked up my OME steering stabilizer, I developed a knock, and a very bad one at that. Had to put the hazards on since it was all uphill and I had no acceleration. Pulled over, and let her sit. Didn't help. Knocking is still there, and still real bad. I checked oil pressure, it was low, so added more oil to be safe. The knocking is now quieter, but still there. Could low oil cause such a bad knocking? Maybe a bad oil pump?
Talked to my mech friend, says I might have spun a bearing and that a rebuild is in order. Told me, worst case scenario, 2500-3000 dollars. I about ˟˟˟˟˟ my pants. Im real worried about the runner and am going take her in tomorrow for a look over.

Any suggestions of what I should do?
Should I go to the stealership and dish out and arm and a leg to get her fixed? might this be something smaller then what Im stressin over? Any help will be MOST APPRICIATED. I have no cash for this sorta thing right now.
Help me out!

Steve
Old 07-17-2003, 07:03 PM
Contributing Member

Went to check oil level, says there is no oil, but I just added 2 quarts back when i had previously pulled over. This means its a bad oil pump right? But would a bad oil pump really cause all this bad knocking? If the oil isn't draining to the pan, where is it staying and what sorta damage is this gonna cause? Im clueless at the moment, just stressing over the money its gonna soak up.
Any suggestions?

Steve
Old 07-17-2003, 07:41 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Need some more information. What engine do you have? Manual or Auto? Where does the knock seem to be coming from? Is it the same when stopped (reving in neutral) as when driving? Make sure the dipstick is pushed all the way in. Several components can get in the way and keep the stick from going in the last inch or two without a good wiggle and push. Any other symptoms? Any smoke from the exhaust? How does the coolant look? What does the underside of the oil filler cap look like? Any strange smells? Any brush caught up in the driveline? Hope it turns out to be something simple.
Old 07-17-2003, 07:58 PM
Contributing Member

mtnfreak

Its a 3vz-e v6, automatic. The knocking seems to come under load, at idle, seems ok, but once you give it some gas, the knocking begins, in neutral, while revving, the knocking still happens. The knocking seems to becoming from the engine itself. From the engine bay, using the throttle, you can definitely hear and feel the knocking from the engine.
Pushed the dip stick all the way down, made sure it was seated correctly before pulling it out and check again, same problem, coming up almost not there, im tempted to poor more oil back in, but im afraid of flooding it with oil now.
Checked the underside of the oil cap, and looks pretty gunky. Does this mean something? Every thing else seems good, no odd smoke, no smell, besides the heavy acceleration going up hill smell seems everyone else gets, kinda sulfurish/burning smell, but that only happened when the knocking began.
Im starting to think this might be something major?

Let me know what you think, thanks for replying

Steve
Old 07-17-2003, 08:40 PM

Well if the oil is not on the stick, its just not there. When you pulled over the first time and added oil just to be safe, why did you do that? Was it low to begin with? Make sure it sits level and let it sit for at least 10 min. Then check the oil. If its not up to proper level, fill it up untill it is. Better yet, change the oil. You may have lost your oil for some reason. You want to be sure you have the proper amount of good oil to determin if that helps.
Old 07-17-2003, 08:56 PM

How long before you went on that trip was the oil checked/changed.....ALL engines will use/burn oil....even if your exhaust doesnt smoke.....and my 3.0 is an oil hog.....the exhaust doesnt smoke and the engine doesnt leak and it doesnt go into the radiator.....and if i dont check it at least once a month it will get pretty low.....to the point where no oil will show up on the dipstick....im thinking about doing that auto-rx treatment to it...but kinda skittish about it because i really dont have that kinda money right now for it not to work...

Shoorty
Old 07-17-2003, 09:30 PM
Contributing Member

The first time I pulled over, I checked the dip stick, and it registered as a bit low on oil, my friend said be safe, add oil, and I did. Came home, and checked again, it sat for a good amount of time, but now it doesn't even really register any oil, just a small dot of oil. I'll run to the store and grab some more oil and see if that helps.
Old 07-17-2003, 09:51 PM
Contributing Member

might be time to try some 50 or even 60 weight oil. see if that quiets it down. low oil will kill rod bearings.....
Old 07-17-2003, 11:12 PM
Jay

hm..

Sounds like a lower end noise for sure.

There just happens to be a yotatech loyal dealership employee in your neighborhood.
Old 07-18-2003, 12:57 PM
Contributing Member

Welp

The car is dead, shes spun her bearings. :cry: I let it sit over night, added more oil and started her, sounded great, was so relieved, but drove her around the block, gave her some gas and knock knock. Came back home, and the father told me to take it to the mechanic. He said drive it, i said tow it. He drove it, and on the way there, the knock got even worse. SO basiclly, the engines blown. The quoted me 2200 for a used engine with 95k miles and 1k at least in labor, i said yea right. So now shes just sorta sitting in my driveway. Called the dealership, gonna cost 4500 for a rebuild. I don't know what to do now.

Options are now, get the engine rebuilt by a mechanic I know, for 3k, sell her, which i really don't want to do, or engine swap, maybe a supra? but oh what a headache all this is right now.
Any suggestions?

Jay, you work at the Beaverton Toyota? thats where we bought it new and have taken it for service, i guess i lapsed on the last service and paid dearly it seems.

Steve
Old 07-19-2003, 12:14 AM
Jay

Yes sir, I do work at Beaverton Toyota. Im an evening shift service advisor. Been with Toyota for 12 years, 5 of which here in Beaverton.

4500 sounds about right. Sorry I probably wouldnt be able to make that part any better, but I am good for some valuable advise when needed. Not all us folk at the "stealership"(as you people put it) are bad guys.

Sorry for the bad news.