Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

kill switch info needed, rig almost got stolen today!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2005, 04:30 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb kill switch info needed, rig almost got stolen today!!!!!!

I haven’t been this pissed in a long time. I took my dog with me on a hike to the same place that I’ve hiked a few times a week for YEARS. Well this time I got about 15 minutes into the hike and was thinking about all of the other things I should be doing with my day off so I turned around, lucky me..very lucky me. When I got back to the trail head there was a beat up S10 with VA tags parked next to my truck and there were 2 guys standing by my rig with their tool box open and the one had a small flat pry bar in his hand!!! I wasn’t in the mood for this at all. I asked them if there was a problem and why they were messing with my rig, they got REALLY REALLY nasty with me, but what can you expect, its 2005 and if you have a mullet and a T shirt “and I kid you not” that reads “heritage not hate” and has a big rebel flag on it, I say KILL YOURSELF. Anyway I loaded my dog in my truck and left but it made me think about https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...ght=stolen+rig My rig isn’t that nice but its still mine, modded by me, paid for and not beat.. I couldn’t replace it if it were stolen; my insurance would give me blue book for a rusted bed 1988 Toyota with 155,000 but to me its worth a LOT more than that.. Anyway the whole point of my posting is I want to install a hidden kill switch to cut the fuel circuit, so when I do park in these remote locations where some slack jawed yokel deliverance fuc$s may see my rig and try to steel it they wont be able to get it started. I just dumped another $1400 into a fiberglass bed, I don't need my rig stolen and beat to death by Bevis and Butthead! I guess I’m a little paranoid but it does happen and apparently after doing a little research the ignition in my 88 is pretty pathetic! How do you install a kill switch to the fuel circuit? Would you just cut the wire to the fuel pump and install a quality switch in line in a remote location? OR is it more involved than that, or would you kill the starter or the computer.. I need some input here! Thanks again, and congrats on getting your rig back!!!
Old 05-07-2005, 04:32 PM
Contributing Member

the link didnt work??

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...ght=stolen+rig

Once again, glad you got your rig back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-07-2005, 04:54 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Email me and I'll tell you how I wired mine up...and where I hid everything. I just did this less than 5 days ago and it cost less than $10, but works flawlessly and would be difficult to bypass w/o wasting a lot of time, then I have an alarm too! And a removeable/lockable steering wheel...

Old 05-08-2005, 12:43 AM
Contributing Member

Brian,

If he PMs you can you CC me on your response? Protrux forgot to take my key when I left my 1st gen there for service and they managed to get in and drive using someone else's 1st gen key :pat:
Old 05-08-2005, 05:17 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
It's not a big secret I guess...here is what I did and what I used.

(1) DPST toggle switch
(1) 30A relay

I located the 30A relay inside the engine bay fuse box so it is hidden from view. The toggle switch is located inside my Tuffy center console radio DIN, which locks, right beside the radio so I just flip it off whenever I get out and lock things up.

Attached is a diagram for wiring things up.

I didn't use a switch w/ a ground, just a simple DPST toggle switch that I got at the local auto parts store and I didn't solder on the new female clip, didn't need to. After I re-wrapped all the wires back up hidden in the main engine wiring harness you can't tell what is what. Oh, it could be bypassed, but it would take time to figure it out, and that is the idea, to make it harder to steal so they move on.

I also have the Grant lockable/removeable steering wheel system AND a Python alarm w/ ignition kill switch.

Email me for questions.

Attached Thumbnails kill switch info needed, rig almost got stolen today!!!!!!-killswitch.jpg  

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 05-08-2005 at 05:25 AM.
Old 05-08-2005, 06:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tacoma Dude
Protrux forgot to take my key when I left my 1st gen there for service and they managed to get in and drive using someone else's 1st gen key :pat:
Yeah, we've done that twice now out on the trail for people when they've locked their keys in their truck.

It's quite an eye-opener...
Old 05-08-2005, 07:28 AM
Contributing Member

One of the reasons I carry my PPK 9mm with me while hiking and mountain biking....started out for wild animals, now its mostly for the human kind...

You know everyone puts in kill switches but have you guys thought about magnetic switches?....In case you dont know you just like a switch but you can mount in anywhere, even in the fabric of the passenger seat. On you key ring you keep a special magnet and you just wave the magnet over the switch before you start the vehicle....it would be impossible to find and even easier to hide....I dont know too much about the actual working but my buddy has one in his jeeps passenger seat. The magnet on his key ring looks like any decortive key ring thing, he even had Jeep engraved on it.....I can ask him more info if you guys want....
Old 05-08-2005, 08:11 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by CynicX
One of the reasons I carry my PPK 9mm with me while hiking and mountain biking....started out for wild animals, now its mostly for the human kind...

ditto. I used to try to get away from things, but everytime it seems that some POS is trying to ruin it. It has taken a little while to get used to carrying a gun and knife, but sometimes (mostly someplaces) it is neccesary. I wish it weren't so, but PEOPLE SUCK. Not YT people, but everyone else. HAHAHA

Glad you turned around.
Old 05-08-2005, 11:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CynicX
You know everyone puts in kill switches but have you guys thought about magnetic switches?....I dont know too much about the actual working but my buddy has one in his jeeps passenger seat.
One type is a "magnetic reed switch". pretty easy to find really cheap from the surplus vendors. For example:

(click for more info)

Now, that type isn't "latching" which means that it's only closed when a magnet is nearby. Of course that isn't good news for a starter interlock. So, to make use of it, you'd look for a "latching relay". Ones with high-current contacts aren't cheap though ($30 new in single quantity), but you can go with a low-current one that's used for audio applications and have it drive a normal 30amp relay. Low current latchers are around $2-3.

The reed switch is really small, easily embedded into something like a seat. To wire it up, you put it in series with the coil on a latching relay. Pass a magnet near the switch, it juices the relay coil, the relay latches and allows current to flow to the fuel pump or whatnot.

To "clear" the latch, you'll need to apply current to another set of coils in the relay which can be done with a visible switch or get a bit more exotic and tie it into the ignition through another relay.

Here's some background on relays, latching and otherwise.
Old 05-08-2005, 04:19 PM
Contributing Member

It's great that you still have your rig. I was concerned about the same thing happening to me.

We've got a big problem with stolen vehicles, especially trucks because they're often used to commit other crimes. For example, they are ideal for ramming doors and hauling away stuff.

After I bought my truck about 4 months ago, I got an immobilizer installed. It cuts out the ignition, fuel, starter and one more thing which I've forgotten. It cost me about $400 Canadian to have it installed, and I've got peace of mind. Well worth the cost for me.

Last edited by YotaJunky; 05-08-2005 at 04:21 PM.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:40 AM
Contributing Member

This is exactly what I have been looking for as well! I had an '87 4Runner that was stolen back in September. With my new rig, I spent about $70 on a clutch lock (it's just like the club, but you put it on your clutch) and so far so good. I like it because they can't drive the car and they can't cut through it! But I do want to install a kill switch to go with it - that way I have 2 lines of defense - and eventually I'll get an alarm... and if that car gets stolen, with the lock, kill switch AND alarm - they deserve to get it!! And then I'll hit the bar