Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Keyless Entry/Remote Start Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2003, 10:10 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keyless Entry/Remote Start Questions

I bought an Ultra Start Remote Starter to install in my '91 4Runner. I've been reading through the installation instructions and have a few questions about how to wire it into the ignition system. Can anyone decipher the wiring diagram at the link below and give me a clue as to which wires to cut? I don't want the thing to blow up on me.

Here's where the instructions say the wires go (paraphrased slightly):
  • Yellow: Starter output. Connect to starter wire. 12 volts during crank only. 30 amp output.
  • Green: Heater. Connect to vehicle accessory wire. 12 volts in accessory during start. 30 amp output.
  • Red: 12 volt power. Constant 12 volt power at ignition harness. 30 amp input.
  • Red: 12 volt power. Constant 12 volt power at ignition harness. 30 amp input. (Yes, there are two red power wires)
  • Blue: Ignition 1. 12 volts in ignition and start positions. Connect to vehicle's primary ignition. 30 amp output.
I'm not sure where to splice them into the vehicle's wiring harness. I'd rather measure twice and cut once, if you know what I mean. Any idea which wires on the diagram at the link below would be the right ones?

Link to wiring diagram

By the way, here's some information on the Ultra Start 1250 if anyone is interested:

Ultra Start 1250
$54.99 at etronics.com

Last edited by jimrockford; 12-11-2003 at 10:32 PM.
Old 12-11-2003, 10:21 PM

It's pretty easy, I did it in my 86 Jag.

Do you have a wire tester thingy? (It has a clip to ground onto something, and a needle to poke into the wire) If you have one of these, I can explain what to do. If you don't I can still explain what to do. PM me.
Old 12-23-2003, 04:38 PM
Contributing Member

I installed my remote starter today. It wasn't a very pleasant experience. I used quick splice connectors to tap into the ignition wires so that I wouldn't have to cut them. I'd never used those before and found them to be anything but quick. They were difficult to work with in the tight space under the dash.

I managed to find the correct wires to connect to thanks to tenfourtyeight and a tech support rep at Ultra Start. Tenfourtyeight gave me a link to a wiring diagram for my vehicle. It was for a Bulldog Security starter, but it looks like they're all pretty much the same. I also got one from Ultra Start. Neither one of them directly applied to my install, but were close enough to figure it out. I had to make a few educated guesses, but got it right the first time.

I ran into one problem, though. I can remotely start my 4Runner, but the heater doesn't turn on when it starts. There was one wire that I didn't think I needed to hook up, but now it looks like I do. It's a white wire labeled "Selectable Output". It has three options set by moving a jumper:
  • Second Starter
  • Second Accessory
  • Second Ignition (default)
I didn't really understand what the instructions meant by those options. Now, I'm thinking I need to select the Second Accessory jumper and connect the white wire to the positive lead going to the heater. Does that seem reasonable?

Last edited by jimrockford; 12-23-2003 at 04:40 PM.
Old 12-24-2003, 01:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by jimrockford I can remotely start my 4Runner, but the heater doesn't turn on when it starts. There was one wire that I didn't think I needed to hook up, but now it looks like I do. It's a white wire labeled "Selectable Output". It has three options set by moving a jumper:
  • Second Starter
  • Second Accessory
  • Second Ignition (default)
I didn't really understand what the instructions meant by those options. Now, I'm thinking I need to select the Second Accessory jumper and connect the white wire to the positive lead going to the heater. Does that seem reasonable?
Well, I gotta' say, you sure have lead me down an interesting sidetrack in trying to help you with this!

Lemme answer your question first.

Yes, that seems reasonable and it's what I would try. I would set the option jumper to "Second Accessory".

From all that I've read, the options map out like this:
  • Second starter
    This will make the output hot only while the engine is cranking. Just like how the starter only gets power when you turn the key to START.
  • Second accessory
    This will make the output hot after the starter cycle. Just like turning the key to ACC.
  • Second Ignition
    This will make the output hot while the starter is cranking, AND after the "key" is returned to ACC.
Now, the sidetrack that you lead me down was that you doing this has given me a new option in trying to get my original RS3000 alarm to work.

I sunk my truck up tot he floorboards a few weeks ago, and the alarm system hasn't worked since. I've pulled everything apart, cleaned and dried everything, and still no luck. So, I've been actually using my key to open the doors for the first time since I bought the truck in 96! I miss my remote opener..

Anyway.. since you brought this up, I've looked at the Bulldog and the Ultrastart systems, and have read through the user and install manuals for each. And instead of replacing the original RS3000, I'm now right on the edge of ordering up an UltraStart 4500:
http://www.ultrastarters.com/us_mode...us_xr_2way.htm

http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=ult4500

At $190, it's just as expensive as a replacement RS3000 control unit, and I get a LOT more.. Plus it's "cool".

So... "thank you" Kevin, and I hope you get your heater fired up!

Mark
Old 12-24-2003, 01:55 PM
Contributing Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Kevin, when installing a remote starter on my 91 4runner I connected the Accessory wire from my remote to the BLUE/RED wire on the ignition switch harness.

hope this helps
Old 12-24-2003, 02:34 PM

See, wasn't it easy? Once you do it, you can do it off the top of your head the next time.

Did you connect the green heater wire? If you did connect it to the blue/red and the heater is still not coming on, then yes, it is reasonable.