Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Key question

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Key question

My 2000 4runners key has a recognition chip. My question is, will just a standard key (no chip) cut to match unlock the doors? I like to keep a spare under the car in case I get locked out but dont really want to spend $30 or $40 on a key to do that with.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:51 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes it will be fine.

Edit: hopefully you caught this past Saturday's episode of Extreme 4x4 where Ian drilled a hole through the key holder and used an existing bolt and a wing nut to hold it in place and keep it well hidden under the exhaust shield under the vehicle. Both function to keep it hidden and from falling out onto the ground when 'wheeling.

Last edited by Ironmike4x4; 03-23-2010 at 03:54 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:59 PM

Thanks man.

I missed that last weekend, but that sounds like a pretty good idea!
Old 03-24-2010, 07:37 AM

from my experiences from making these keys, honda and toyota, the ppl from walmart or home depot will not make it for you. They have an ILCO scanner. Walmart now provide chipped keys.

I would try at convenience stores or local lock smiths. cost couple of dollars.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:55 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by profuse007
from my experiences from making these keys, honda and toyota, the ppl from walmart or home depot will not make it for you. They have an ILCO scanner. Walmart now provide chipped keys.

I would try at convenience stores or local lock smiths. cost couple of dollars.

I've ran into problems at Wal-Mart cutting the key slightly wrong and the key will only work properly from one side instead of either one. I'd second the locksmith deal. They have MUCH more expereiences with making key copies.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:19 PM

i used a locksmith for my 88 4runner key yesterday and the difference in quality of workmanship from that of home depot is night and day!

+1000 for a locksmith.

also, we have a 2000 4runner and the key is NOT chipped.

a few years back i lost one of the keys for the 2000 and went to a dealer for a blank and they wanted to sell me the chipped one for some crazy money.

i asked why so much and he told me about the chip.

we argued back and forth and i told him my spare key is just a metal key with NO chip and it starts the 4runner with no problem.

he kept asking me if i was sure and i kept saying "YES!!!!"

he finally sold me the blank without a chip and i had it cut and works great to this day.

i wonder why yours is chipped and ours isn't.

joel
Old 03-25-2010, 06:53 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't know the real deal on th echipped key but my local delareship will cut a standard key for you at no charge. all I have had to do was supply them with the VIN number and proof of ownership and they have cut keys for me. After telling them what year and model (4runner duh!) and the registration (which has the VIN) they come back a few minutes later with a new cut key. This will only work if your ignition tumbler hasn't been changed out. My '98 had a replacement ignition switch but the VIN still matches my door locks. I have had spare door keys cut for free but have had to get the igntion switch cut at a local lock smith. Always good to have that spare just in case.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Ironmike4x4
Yes it will be fine.

Edit: hopefully you caught this past Saturday's episode of Extreme 4x4 where Ian drilled a hole through the key holder and used an existing bolt and a wing nut to hold it in place and keep it well hidden under the exhaust shield under the vehicle. Both function to keep it hidden and from falling out onto the ground when 'wheeling.

For a spare key, I mounted a Master Lock 5400D Select Access Key Storage Box ($18 from Amazon) behind one of the rear wheel wells. You can set, and change at will, a 4 digit numerical access code on the unit. The box is magnesium and steel, with a rubberized coating. It mounts with a padlock-style hanger latch. With the plastic key pad guard raised, it's been good at keeping out road grit (although we don't get much snow or salt down here; your mileage may vary). Ours has been hanging with no issues for around a year now.

There's also another version of the box without a hanger; this one screws or bolts into a surface behind the unit through 4 holes in the rear of the key area in the box. I use one on my back porch in case we lock ourselves out. It could easily bolt anywhere on a vehicle.
Master Lock 5401D Select Access Wall-Mounted Key Storage Box - $17 at amazon

Both boxes are pretty tough - they could be broken into, but if I was a criminal, I'd just bust out a window first; it would be easier. I think it's better than hiding a key and hoping nobody thinks of your hiding place.

Edited to add: you can give these things a spray of black paint, and they're much harder to see. That would also cover up the 'Master Lock' logo, making most people who might casually see it (or the average criminal) think it's just an electrical box or other car part.

Last edited by pendrag; 03-25-2010 at 06:22 PM.