Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Kenne Bell boost-a-pump

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2003, 08:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kenne Bell boost-a-pump

Well, this weekend I happened upon a great deal for one of these (less than $100!!), so I went ahead and picked one up. Instead of dropping my tank and buying a new fuel pump, I got this to shore up the fuel pressure shortage that comes with adding in more fuel for our S/C'ed engines. However, when looking through the install instructions, they seemed a bit more involved than I had counted on but I think I'm just bein paranoid.
Has anyone done this install before? Where did you mount the large red box? And where do I find the fuel pump wire to splice into (unfortunately I don't have a wiring diagram for my 96' 4Runner)? Thanx,

Brad
Old 08-21-2003, 04:54 PM

Brad,

The install is easy. I mounted the red box and the black box (adjustment knob) under the driver's seat. The power wire for the fuel pump is located in a plastic conduit, which is under the drivers side foot guard (that plastic cover that holds the carpet down). To find the correct wire, you:

1) Lift up the rear seat and pull the carpet towards the front of the vehicle.
2) Locate the fuel pump wire access cover (black cover attached with three screws)
3) Find the wire harness that goes to the plastic connector that feeds into the fuel tank (this connector goes to the fuel pump that is inside the tank).
4) Carefully pull back the black tape that bundles the wires and find the heaviest gauge wire. This is the fuel pump power line. Make a note of the wire color, my truck (1998 4Runner) has a blue wire with red tracer)
5) You could connect the BAP lines to the fuel pump wires under the back seat but I decided to tap in by the driver's seat. To do this, you just need to find the same color wire in the conduit under the drivers side foot guard. I have posted a few photos on the web that may help you. The link is here: http://my.net-link.net/~n8rws/BAP

Hope this helps...

Jeff B in MI
Old 08-22-2003, 06:15 AM

Yes, the install was a snap. I did this on Wednesday nite, but thanx for the reply anyway. I already had an amp mounted under the drivers seat so I mounted the BAP on the floor, as far back as it would go, next to the rear seat on the drivers side. There's a perfect spot for it there and the fuel pump wire is easily accessible from this location as well. The install looks really clean and stealthy as I mounted it to the metal floor pan and ran the carpeting over the top. I am one happy camper, let me tell ya!! Have a good weekend everyone - I know I will,

Brad