Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

just got a new 4runner, and I need help diagnosing it's problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 11:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just got a new 4runner, and I need help diagnosing it's problems

I just bought a new 4runner, and it needs a little work.

So far I've replaced the front shocks and idler arm. I'm still noticing a lot of problems though... I'll explain.

When I step on the brakes, and the vehicle nears a stop, it makes a creaking noise and feels kinda unsturdy. It sounds kind of like if you slowly shut a rusty hinge. I'm sure it's coming from the front end, I just don't know what to fix?

Also, the power steering belt has been giving me a lot of trouble. I had a loose belt on when I bought it, so I replaced it, it was tight, tightened the pulley as much as it would go, the ps reservoir's shoved against the motor. This belts causing more ลลลล than the original one though, now its become really lose and makes lots of noise when turning when the car isnt moving. Do belts stretch a lot or something?

Also, when I turn the steering wheel far, it makes a loud clunking noise that doesn't sound good at all. I'm taking it in for that recall, not sure if that's the problem though.

Also, I'm going to replace the rear shocks. Is it necessary to use the same for front and back? Also, what are good affordable off road shocks?

Thank you guys for any help!
Old 10-11-2005, 12:13 AM

Take a look at your front end on jack stands w/ the tires off...check brake pads rotors bj's and other suff...the creaking noise on turnin could be as simple as your sterring stops...little nub on your lower are that stops your steering...upon turning and suspension compression the two metal pieces meet and make an ugly noise...try some white lithium grear on ther every once in a while...it'll stop...

Doestech or Bilstein make good OEM replacement OEM shocks
Old 10-11-2005, 12:15 AM

Sorry... White Lithium Grease...I used to hit em every month or whenever I remembered, or got the noise...
Old 10-11-2005, 01:49 AM
Contributing Member

wow so many questions...

Originally Posted by GradSR5
When I step on the brakes, and the vehicle nears a stop, it makes a creaking noise and feels kinda unsturdy. It sounds kind of like if you slowly shut a rusty hinge. I'm sure it's coming from the front end, I just don't know what to fix?
I don't know but that sounds like a brake problem. Could also be something else like ball joints. Replace your streeing stabalizer if it looks old and then go from there. Just my .02 on that one.

Also, when I turn the steering wheel far, it makes a loud clunking noise that doesn't sound good at all. I'm taking it in for that recall, not sure if that's the problem though.
Mine does the same thing and it's not a "problem"....

My 2nd gen 4Runner/Truck makes a loud popping/grinding noise when I make a sharp turn. What is this noise?

Don't worry, most of the time this noise is just the steering stops rubbing on each other. Normally there is a plastic cap covering the metal preventing this noise.
However, these quickly wear away and fall off. You can get replacement caps for a couple bucks at the dealer, but most people just grease the metal stops, or live with it.

https://www.yotatech.com/~corey/4runner_faq.htm

Also, I'm going to replace the rear shocks. Is it necessary to use the same for front and back? Also, what are good affordable off road shocks?
The best and most affordable off/on road shocks are gonna be Old Man Emu.

OME N98 Front Shocks
OME N72F Rear Shocks

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54794

Use the forum SEARCH option for "OME" and "old man emu" and anything else. There tons of info to be found.
Old 10-11-2005, 02:29 AM

thanks for the replies. good to know about the steering stops, that's one less thing I have to fix. tomorrow im going to get started on the rest-

once again thanks for the help

oh yea and one last question, if I replace the ball joints, should I go for an expensive brand over ones i'd buy at autozone? the truck (eventually) will be used offroad a lot, and if its something thats prone to breaking id rather do it once right. also sorry for the newb questions, I don't know much about this sort of thing, but patience is appreciated

Last edited by GradSR5; 10-11-2005 at 02:38 AM.