Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Just got my muffler!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2003, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Just got my muffler!!

They said it might come in either today or tommorrow, and it came today!! Now I gotta go price shopping on how much it will cost to get this installed.

It's a magnaflow universal 2.25" center/offset

And here's an inside view just cuz I thought it looked cool

So I called a couple shops earlier, and this guy said it might cost up to 90 bucks, because and I quote "I do quality work unlike some other shops, I make sure my welds are tight and sealed, stainless steal might be more expensive to weld, and more complicated too"

So.....what should I do? I plan on going to like 3 shops tommorrow and ask on pricing. Hoping to find a good one and get it welded on by Monday at the latest.

I'm excited! I was just about to take a nap too!!
Old 09-18-2003, 02:18 PM
Contributing Member

Sweet!

$90 seems a little high! Check around, it shouldn't cost you more than $45ish.
Old 09-18-2003, 02:23 PM
Contributing Member

Nice dude! I will be running a custom 2.5" into a Magnaflow just like that one of these days.

I like it!

Now, get that puppy put on!
Old 09-18-2003, 02:30 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by <96 Runner>
Nice dude! I will be running a custom 2.5" into a Magnaflow just like that one of these days.
But what about your $50 glasspack?!?!
Old 09-18-2003, 02:36 PM
Contributing Member

I know...

I think I could squeeze more power out of my rig by re-doing the exhaust. Going to 2.5 cat-back and a nice magnaflow would definetly help it breathe better.

The glasspack only made a slight difference. But it does sound great, IMO.
Old 09-18-2003, 02:38 PM
Contributing Member

Rob, keep shopping, that $90 install is a ripoff!
Old 09-18-2003, 02:43 PM
Contributing Member

yeah, my install was about 20 bux if i remember correctly
Old 09-18-2003, 05:56 PM

yea I'm hoping to get it under 50, but if it's 60 I probably do it, just cuz I wanna get this on really bad!!
Old 09-18-2003, 07:16 PM

the shop that did it for me did it for 35 bucks and they new what they were doing they did it in about 20 minutes!!!!
Old 09-18-2003, 08:32 PM
Contributing Member

˟˟˟˟!! You guys are lucky....

So far in Albuquerque it's cheaper to buy the muffler from the shops and have it put on than to bring in your own muffler and have them just weld it in.

I had Midas weld my Dynomax on back in October. I noticed condensation in a couple spots during winter when I started up in the mornings but didn't think much of it at the time.

I found out last month that they did a half Arsed job. There were leaks in the welds and they burned a couple more holes in the muffler welding the hanger on. The only other place I found was Meineke and all they carry are Flowmasters. They gave me a good deal to put one on my wife's Pre-Runner and one for the Runner. The Flowmaster sounds good on the Pre-Runner but drones a lot on the Runner.
Old 09-19-2003, 03:51 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Yesterday

Some guy here in Tuscaloosa quoted me $380 for a flowmaster and twin pipes out the back with some tips. I just walked off. Why do some businesses just want to SCREW you over?

Brian
Old 09-19-2003, 03:53 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by ALBPM
˟˟˟˟!! You guys are lucky....

So far in Albuquerque it's cheaper to buy the muffler from the shops and have it put on than to bring in your own muffler and have them just weld it in.

I had Midas weld my Dynomax on back in October. I noticed condensation in a couple spots during winter when I started up in the mornings but didn't think much of it at the time.

I found out last month that they did a half Arsed job. There were leaks in the welds and they burned a couple more holes in the muffler welding the hanger on. The only other place I found was Meineke and all they carry are Flowmasters. They gave me a good deal to put one on my wife's Pre-Runner and one for the Runner. The Flowmaster sounds good on the Pre-Runner but drones a lot on the Runner.
What series of Flowmaster did you get? 40 series?
I bought the 60 series on my 4Runner and there is no drone and it sounds great. It is a lot quieter than a Magnaflow, so some people may not like it.
Old 09-19-2003, 04:48 AM
TOR

Ripoff!

Anything over $40 and they are full of crap. As for stainless steel being harder to weld, PLEEEEEASE! I would definitely go somewhere else, if he is willing to rip you off before the job whats to say he will do "quality" work.

Todd
Old 09-19-2003, 06:39 AM
Contributing Member

What series of Flowmaster did you get? 40 series?
Yes, the Delta series 40. It sounds better on our Tacoma than the Runner. It lacks on flow (CFM) compared to the Dynomax Super Turbo it replaced. I have noticed a slight decrease in acceleration at High RPM but noticed a slight gain in torque at low end.
Strange thing is my gas milage increased about 1MPG with the Flowmaster. I guess for the type of driving I do during a normal work week (40% highway/60% City) the lower CFM Flowmaster(352 CFM) is better. I average about 225-250 miles/week and since July when the Flowmaster was installed I've gotten better gas mileage.

I have mixed feelings about the loudness of the Series 40....
There are times when it is annoying. "But" there are times when others around me are D.W.H.U.A. (Driving with Head Up Ass) like wandering into my lane and all I have to do is stomp on the accelerator pedal and scare the ˟˟˟˟˟ out of them....LOL
Old 09-19-2003, 07:00 AM

my quote from yesterday....

local shop here in STL quoted me $210 for cat-back new pipe and a Magnaflow - installed and out the door. That seems reasonable.

A
Old 09-19-2003, 07:25 AM
Contributing Member

hey Rob, hurry up and put the new muffler on, so that when ya go wheeling next time, you can bend it up.

just a word of advice, look for the smaller shops other then meinike and the such. They tend to be a little cheaper, and most of the time, they do quality work.
Old 09-19-2003, 07:30 AM

Re: my quote from yesterday....

Originally posted by amorphous
local shop here in STL quoted me $210 for cat-back new pipe and a Magnaflow - installed and out the door. That seems reasonable.

A

LOVE the Avatar...hey that's my favorite red staples!!!!!!
Old 09-19-2003, 02:53 PM

Ok just got it welded on.

First impression: WOW

This is loud!!! Didn't expect it to be this loud. But then I start driving, and I start liking it and getting used to it. Just kinda weird where the loud sound is behind me instead of in front of me (isr mod). You can hear the exhaust in the cabin pretty well. On the road back I realized around 3k rpm my isr is louder than my muffler haha.

The whole time I was worrying about the weld. Afterwards I found out that they used clamps on both sides, welded the rear clamp all the way around, and the front clamp only at the bottom. I asked the guy about it and he said that's how they do it. And if I were to want to weld all the way around the front, it'd be another 60 bucks. Then he started reassuring me that it won't fall off or anything. I'm still kinda worried, but I guess it'll be ok. I can take a picture of the welds, but I'm afraid of what you guys will say (if it's bad welding)

oh yea it cost me 45 bucks including both clamps

Last edited by Toyo_Runner96; 09-19-2003 at 03:00 PM.
Old 09-19-2003, 03:00 PM
Contributing Member

Sweet dude!

Dont worry about the weld, if it falls off your rig will still sound sweet!
Old 09-19-2003, 03:02 PM
Contributing Member

Nice!!

You'll get used to the noise in no time. The best is listening to it from outside the rig.

Quick Reply: Just got my muffler!!