Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

just got my first truck....what should i do?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2003, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just got my first truck....what should i do?

hey guys...i'm new to this forum...i have always been a car guy but i'm selling my integra because i got a 97 4 runner....all i know is it has a v6 and its sr5...its also 5 speed....i know nothing about off roading or about the vehicle.....i went off road the other night with a friend and loved it.....so what do i do first? and then in order what should i do after that? i was thinking about putting some bigger tires on first....whats the biggest size i can get without throwing off the odometer? i think i want a/t's
Old 04-21-2003, 07:47 PM

Do you have 15 or 16" wheels? You can probably mount a 32x11.50r15 or 265/75r16 with only a small hit on the speedometer. (like 2-3% I think)
Old 04-21-2003, 07:58 PM

help

i think it has 16's.....so will it affect the odometer? what else do i do next?
Old 04-21-2003, 08:07 PM

if it has 16s you have to go with the 265/75/16s, which is fine, they are a little more narrow than the 31x10.5x15, but whatever. I would recommend bridgestone dueler a/t revos. a few people here have them, they seem to be a real good a/t! If you plan on lifting anytime soon, do the lift first and then get bigger tires, you don't want to have those small 265/75/16s if you have 2" or 3" of lift (you could do 285s with like 3" I believe) ...
Old 04-21-2003, 08:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: just got my first truck....what should i do?

Originally posted by roninb18
hey guys...i'm new to this forum...
Welcome!

...so what do i do first?
GET IT DIRTY!

Old 04-21-2003, 08:27 PM

Re: just got my first truck....what should i do?

hey guys...i'm new to this forum...i have always been a car guy but i'm selling my integra because i got a 97 4 runner....all i know is it has a v6 and its sr5...its also 5 speed....i know nothing about off roading or about the vehicle.....i went off road the other night with a friend and loved it.....so what do i do first? and then in order what should i do after that? i was thinking about putting some bigger tires on first....whats the biggest size i can get without throwing off the odometer? i think i want a/t's
Wow, I too sold an Integra to get my 4Runner. 94 Integra GS-R to a 99 4Runner SR5. I would definately say the first thing you need to do is read all you can get your hands on about different options for your truck. I wish I had done that before I got my first lift. You can bet I would have gone with a different one that suited my needs better. You really have unlimited options as far as mods go, it is all up to you and the skill you have, time you have, or money you want to spend. You can go mild as 265/75/16s on a stock rig or anything beyond as long as you have the time, knowledge, and money. Do yourself a favor and find all the 3rd gen 4Runner web pages and read up on everything there is to know. Once you feel like you are up to speed on everything make your choice.
Old 04-21-2003, 08:31 PM

Search and read a lot. Wheel it. Only make mods that you feel you want to make. Ask a lot of questions, this forum is an awesome group of folks and there is a huge knowledge base here to learn from.

Welcome, let the wallet bleeding begin !

Mike
Old 04-21-2003, 08:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome Roninb,

Look through the entire Tech section and read the ones that are of interest. You'll be surprised at what people have done---and documented.

Then search a few key words (lift, suspension, tires, etc) and the get to reading.

When you're done a month later, come back and ask questions!

No, in all seriousness, do what you must do in whatever order you choose, but definitely use the "search" feature and browse through the Tech section and ask questions. There's a lot of friendly folks here.

Bob
Old 04-21-2003, 08:57 PM

Originally posted by Los Gatos?
you don't want to have those small 265/75/16s if you have 2" or 3" of lift (you could do 285s with like 3" I believe) ...
265/75r16 are close to 32x10.50 - you call that small? I have 285/75r16 envy too but no way with my puny 3.0
Old 04-21-2003, 09:02 PM

what are you looking for?

first thing to consider is what do you want to do with your 4runner? Are you looking for power, off-roading, want to keep it a comfortable daily driver? Consider exactly what you want to use it for before changing anything. Some off-roading stuff, (lift, tires, shocks) are nice off-road, but may affect on-road handling. some lifts seem will be stiff and feel rough for normal street driving. Some large tires will have a whining noise when on the highway. I am sure you already understand changing exhaust and intake and the benefits and downfall of them( i assume you worked on the integra when you had it). Consider everything, do alot of research, and then start finding prices, and see what will be most useful to you per the amount of money you will have to spend on it.
Old 04-21-2003, 09:04 PM

Originally posted by Victor
265/75r16 are close to 32x10.50 - you call that small? I have 285/75r16 envy too but no way with my puny 3.0

okay fair enough, not small, but smallER than 32/10.5
Old 04-22-2003, 03:56 AM

I say just wheel it stock for a while and then address the needs that arise. Always go with a buddy, pick up a good tow strap, plan ahead, be safe.

Chances are, bigger tires and good skidplates will be your first steps. It all depends on how extreme your wheeling gets.
Old 04-22-2003, 07:21 AM

thanks guys

yeah...thanks for all the info guys....i can't wait to get started...so will the 275/65 tires throw off my odometer at all?.
Old 04-22-2003, 07:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Absolutely...first things first...GET IT DIRTY!!

I'd say don't even think about changing a thing untill you've spent some time doing what you want to do with it. That way you know exactly what it's weaknesses are (if any) and find ways to address them.

Remember, it's perfectly fine not to change a thing. Only change what you think really needs changing.

For me, the mods always come down to low gearing, a differential locker or two, and removing body parts to gain clearance. I guess there aren't too many low-range options for the newer ones, but if you feel like you're short on traction, a differential locker makes a huge difference. I picked up a LockRight for about $230, installed it in the rear axle myself, and trail running has never been the same. Even with small, whimpy tires, the locker will get you over things that will put big tired, lockerless rigs to shame. Some later 4Runners came with an electric rear locker from the factory. Look for a button on the dash to the left of the steering wheel that says something like "Diff. Lock." If you have it, TRY IT!! (only works in low-range) You might never want to change a thing. If you don't, figure out if you want to add one or not.

Just get out on the trails and get your mind off of mods for a while.

Have fun,

Eric
Old 04-22-2003, 09:03 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: thanks guys

so will the 275/65 tires throw off my odometer at all?.
Any time you change the tire size, the odometer/speedometer will be off, it's just a matter of how much and if it's significant. Changing the tire pressure will throw off your gauges but you don't notice it. It's a linear relationship, meaning if you go up 3% in size, then your gauges will be off by 3%. That's what happened when I went from 31s to 32s.

I say the first thing you should get is armor. The pyschological obstacle is bigger than any boulder on the trail.

Welcome,
Steve
Old 04-22-2003, 09:12 AM
Contributing Member

Re: Re: thanks guys

Originally posted by Robinhood150
I say the first thing you should get is armor. The pyschological obstacle is bigger than any boulder on the trail.
So true.
Old 04-22-2003, 09:22 AM

thanks

once again thanks guys..i plan on using it as an everyday driver which will include lots of highway...but i also want to do some mild offroading...on trails and stuff....i dont plan on ruck crawling or anything like that really....i guess i'll just hit the trails and see what seems weak....maybe get a locker but for now tires will come first

Quick Reply: just got my first truck....what should i do?