Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Just bought '97 4Runner with 200,000+ miles and need advice on upgrades

Old 03-19-2012, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Just bought '97 4Runner with 200,000+ miles and need advice on upgrades

First off, kudos to this forum. I did a lot of reading before buying my 4Runner and it proved to be very useful in knowing what to look for.

It seems to be in really good condition and I'm pretty confident it will serve my needs well.

In the near future I'm going to be driving across the country for a move, possibly hauling a 2-horse trailer filled with some of my things. I will probably opt to buy a cheap 2-horse trailer since I'm planning on getting a couple of horses at some point after the move, and that way I won't have to pay UHaul for a trailer.

I'll be moving from Virginia to a remote rural property in the mountains of California. The property is way up in the hills, down a long and winding 4wd road.

I won't normally be doing much/any towing. The 4Runner should be sufficient as it is for the move.

It's a '97 4WD Limited. Good tires, good/regular service history. Has had the timing belt replaced, a new water pump. Has clearly been well-cared for. Part of my "rationale" for nabbing such a high mileage vehicle is both because 4Runners are known to have a long life expectancy and because it's a 4WD vehicle, and the kind of wear/tear that a driver might get into in a 4WD doesn't require that they drive a lot of miles. It only takes a couple of miles of rough off-road stuff to really wear down a vehicle, and that kind of *quality* driving (as opposed to *quantity*) doesn't show on the odometer. I've never owned a new vehicle, and whenever possible I buy stuff refurbished. I'm the fourth owner of this vehicle--and that's hard for me to imagine -- it seems to be in great shape.

I'm going to do the 231mm Tundra brake upgrade. Possibly get a new radiator to avoid the potential strawberry milkshake BS, and I'll get the front lower ball joints replaced.

Yesterday I installed a new stereo/sat radio, though the stock speakers still leave a lot to be desired. I will get a little underseat subwoofer and maybe someday upgrade the front speakers.

I'm not going to shell out bucks for floor mats. When I need it, I'll throw down a tarp. I can't justify paying $100 for a rubber mat.

I'm keeping it stocked with a small electric chainsaw, small electric superwinch, JNC battery jumper, and the standard tools/blanket/rags/gear. Where I'll be moving is off-grid, all-solar. Though in the future I'd like to start a micro-hydroelectric thing there too.

Question:
Suspension. I'm thinking about adding steering stabilizers. I'd like to have good rough-road suspension, as that will be most of what this 4Runner will see. Suggestions?
Old 03-19-2012, 01:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So you're wanting to run new springs without gaining a lift? Personally I would look into some OME coils. You may want to beef up the rear springs if you plan on towing cross country.
Going off the grid sounds awesome btw
Old 03-19-2012, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: off-grid

Living remotely and sustainably off the grid is incredibly rewarding. It's a big change from city living. But I would rather live in a city than in suburbs, and it's depressing to see how urban sprawl transforms what was once beautiful wild land into plots that go on and on. Quality of life, for me, is living in the woods with the occasional foray into the city.

Thanks for the rec on the OME springs. Those seem to be pretty popular.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by big-sir
Living remotely and sustainably off the grid is incredibly rewarding. It's a big change from city living. But I would rather live in a city than in suburbs, and it's depressing to see how urban sprawl transforms what was once beautiful wild land into plots that go on and on. Quality of life, for me, is living in the woods with the occasional foray into the city.
Tell me about it. Coming from a small town that still has dirt roads to Charlotte was a big change for me. I get out into the woods every chance I get, wheeling or not . Best of luck on your travels!