Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Just bought an 88 and need help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2002, 08:10 AM
02SilverV6

Just bought an 88 and need help!!!!

Hi everyone, first off let me say I love this site. I have a 2002 Tacoma and just got my brother an 88 reg. cab 4x4 pickup.

Here is the break down of what the issues are. When we got the truck it ran like crap. Weak power, hesitation etc. I replaced the usual parts (air filter, oil filter, oil, cap, rotor, plugs, wires, PVC and fuel filter) All were in VERY bad condition. The air filter was packed solid (literally) with crap and the plugs were very worn and had a lot of deposits on them. After doing all that the truck has better power and runs pretty well. My problem now is that it's hard to get started when it's cold out. When it gets warm during the day it fires right up. It's just when it has been sitting over night and you go out on a cold morning to start it. Any suggestions? Also, the thing sounds like a diesel engine when it's running even after warming up. Could it be the valves need adjusting? Anyone have instruction of how to do them if that sounds like the problem? the guy we bought the truck from just redid the timing chain also if that helps any.

Thanks for your help with this. It's much appreciated.

D.
Old 12-09-2002, 08:21 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Welcome to the forums.
I beleive I know what is happening during the cold starts.

Here are few threads to get you going:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...start+injector

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...start+injector

More than likely, it's this bugger.

Often the CS injector can be plugged, or needs replacing.
I had the same symtoms your brother's rig has for two years before I ended up having it replaced at the dealer.

Once a new one was put in, all the cold start snafus went away.
Old 12-09-2002, 08:50 AM
02SilverV6

Cool, i can try that out. How much was the cold start injector by the way. Any idea's on the loud clacking noise?

D.
Old 12-09-2002, 08:51 AM
02SilverV6

Also I forgot to mention before this is the 4cyl engine model. 22RE if I recall correctly.

D.
Old 12-09-2002, 08:59 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I think with labor and all it ran me about $150.
Had I known where it was located at the time, I would have tried replacing it myself.

I do not know where the one is on the 22RE engine.

Not sure about the clacking sound you are getting.
Could be a lot of things.
Corey
Old 12-09-2002, 09:03 AM
02SilverV6

I'll take a look at it when I get home, hopefully it will look the same as the one you showed me in the pic. Thanks for the replies.

D.
Old 12-09-2002, 09:41 AM
CTB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys,

This is also something that I was considering replacing fairly soon. Are there any reasons not to replace it if the truck is still starting? Easy installation/replacement?

Jay, do you have any comments about this? Thanks for the info-
Old 12-09-2002, 10:19 AM
Contributing Member

I may have the same problem with my 894r, also in No. VA. I'm actually having my engine replaced because my clacking is coming from the bottom end and the engine is old anyway. Better to swap it all than dump almost as much into the fix and have somewting else go wrong, can easily double your engine expenses.

Check your symptoms at this post...
http://bb.wildyoats.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=789

maybe you can have a listen to mine, see if you may be doomed to a new engine also... Or if you prefer, we can compare and you can get your fixed, see if I'm overdoing this a little... :rolleyes:
Old 12-09-2002, 10:25 AM
02SilverV6

Mine is making the noise from the top of the motor. I'm thinking it's the valves sine the guy just had the timing chain replaced. I'm going to pull the cover off tonight also just to make sure he checked the guides. Good luck with the swap. Are you replacing the whole motor or just the bottom end?

D.
Old 12-09-2002, 10:36 AM
Contributing Member

I'm replacing the whole motor, reman long block. Has been a pain in the ass though, should be done friday.
I had just had my timing chain done too at the dealership (long story) and they said it was definately not the chain or guides. Don't be too sure about the sound location, clacks can travel through the engine. I had several people listen to mine and while one guy said it was at the top, several others and 2 Toyota dealership guys said it was definately in the botom end. Either wrist pins or rod bearings or other.
It could be a simple fix to go in through the bottom, but my luck is pretty bad, I'm sure something else would go wrong immediately after and require another teardown, would basically waste that money. I figure at 120, 000 it's close enough to "old enough" that I might as well do it now. besides, the rest is in good shape, wanna keep it.
Where are you in No Va?
Old 12-09-2002, 10:41 AM
02SilverV6

Mine has 178K miles on it. I'm planning to work on it tonight so I'll check for noise on the lower end also. I'm in Springfield near the mall.

D.
Old 12-09-2002, 01:06 PM
Jay

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
22RE have been known to have a noise that resemble's a diesel engine. This noise is coming from the wrist pins. Generally the noise happens when cold, but in severe cases happens when warm.

To describe the noise im speaking of, in comparison to what a rod knock sounds like, this noise is more of a dampened rapping knock on acceleration. More of a thud than a tap. :confused:

This has been classified as a 22R characteristic in the toyota community.

Jay
Old 12-09-2002, 01:11 PM
CTB

Jay,

What do you think about replacing the cold start injector as just good preventative maintenance? Difficult job?

Thanks for your info-
Old 12-09-2002, 01:28 PM
Jay

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just pull it out, and clean it with carb cleaner. These only typically fail due to the nozzel becoming restricted with carbon deposits.

Jay
Old 12-09-2002, 04:21 PM
Contributing Member

Hey Jay, Glad to meet the resident Toyotech.
So, what would you estimate $'s to totally fix wrist pins, both dealership and non-dealer?
Old 12-09-2002, 04:55 PM

wrist pin

Hey..I gotta ? for ya...what's a "Wrist Pin"? I'm not stupid or anything like that, just not that mechanically inclined to know what it is and or where it is. The only reason I ask is because when I start my truck, as the motor is turning over I have heard and kind of knocking, rapping sound also..but it only lasts for a few short seconds then is gone.....and for those of you who were in the service..sounds like a 60 cal.....lol....
Old 12-10-2002, 02:56 AM
02SilverV6

Follow up. Well last night I went out and pulled the throttle body off and man was it nasty. a thick coating of gunk all over it. I cleaned it up and reinstalled it. Next I pull the Cold start injector. It to was totally covered in junk. After cleaning it i test fired it into a jar. It had a nice fan spray. So this moring I went out and it was cold as hell. I figured this would be a perfect test. Well, it fired right up on the first try. Thanks much for the tips on the cold start injector it worked like a champ. I'm going to try to do the valve adjustment and fuel filter tonight. Hopefully that will help the knocking noise. I took a good listen last night and the noise is definately coming from right under the valve cover. so, I'm pretty sure it's the valves.

On the question about the wrist pin. It's the pin that holds the piston to the connecting rod. the noise you hear at start up is most likely a dry engine if it goes away after a few seconds. when the truck sits all the oil drains back into the pan. When you crank it up in the morning it takes a second or two to pump it back into the motor to lube and quiet everything down again. I'm no expert but I think that's accurate.

D.
Old 12-10-2002, 04:37 AM
CTB

Hey O2SilverV6,

Would you mind posting a few more details about cleaning your Cold Start Injector? Do you simply unbolt it, spray it with carb cleaner, wipe it clean, and then bolt it back up? Any more tips/info would be appreciated. Thanks-
Old 12-10-2002, 04:47 AM
02SilverV6

I'll take some pics of it tonight so you can see what I mean and where it was.

D.
Old 12-10-2002, 04:55 AM
02SilverV6

Question for the experts......how does all that carbon buildup get in the intake system anyway? Isn't it just supposed to be air passing through there? Nothing burns in there to create the carbon deposits does it?

Quick Reply: Just bought an 88 and need help!!!!