Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Just bought an '01 runner.... help diagnose noise please!

Old 01-23-2008, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just bought an '01 runner.... help diagnose noise please!

01 SR5 81k 4x4 green, I'll probably put up some pics sometime...

Everything seemed fine except when I was backing in my garage today (in 2wd) and one of the rear tires was spinning on the ice (very slow at idle). There was a clicking sound which seemed to be coming from the front diff area. In 4 wheel drive, there are no sounds or binding.

I assume because it was in 2wd the front axles were not lined up with the diff and maybe thats where the noise was coming from. could be the syncro in the transfer? what do you guys think.. did I get a lemon? Everything seemed great on the test drives and what I could tell looking under it. I could be over-reacting. I havn't tried to re-create the sound since I just got home from the dealer and backed it into my garage less than an hour ago. Next time I go out i'll see if it happens again. Any ideas/comments may help me figure out whats going on.

My questions are; is this normal? does it happen on yours? Like I said there was no problem in 4x4 and only made noise when the rear tire was slipping a bit.

Anything else I should look for, while its still under limited warranty

looks like i might have to change my nickname to "Nice 4runner with a wierd noise when the tire slips in 2wd"

I searched, couldn't find anything that seemed like what this is.

Future plans for my taco: gonna fix up what I can ( steering rack, starter, put some new brakes in, etc etc ) Maybe sell it at that point, get an old FJ or 4runner. I may just continue to build it into my wheelin machine.

Oh another question; which i can probably search for: Any of you put a receiver hitch on your runner that didn't come with one? Seems like the spare tire is RIGHT there where the hitch needs to go.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I no when I have mine in 4x4, and the go into 2wd it clicks for a bit, but goes away. I don't no if I answered your question, but just my 2 cents.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:39 AM

yeah I know what you're talking about, it's not that. I was in 2wd when it happened then went to 4x4 to get up the ice.

Thanks though

keep it comin
Old 01-23-2008, 02:39 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I also have an 01 and have never heard the noise. It could possibly be the traction control, the relay for that is in the small fuse box on the passenger side under the hood. Maybe what you heard is the relay clicking.

As for the hitch I have a Hidden Hitch on mine. It interferes a bit with a 265/75R16 spare, the tire is jammed between the hitch and the trac bar. I keep the spare deflated and carry a compressor otherwise I'd need a crowbar to get it out.

Old 01-23-2008, 04:42 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
What you're hearing is the traction control system kicking in. Check the left side of your instrument cluster next time it happens... you should see an amber colored indicator in the shape of a vehicle skidding on ice light up when the clicking is happening. All '01 and '02 4Runners do it. It will do it in 4WD also. It's slightly annoying, but normal.

Last edited by GSGALLANT; 01-23-2008 at 04:47 PM.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:43 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If I cut the wheel too hard (ie at full lock) on pavement while I'm in 4WD I'll hear a clicking/popping sound from the front CV's. That may have been the sound you were hearing. Either that or it may have been the traction control.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like the traction control. I get a rapid clicking noise from the engine compartment when it is activated (along with the amber skidding vehicle icon appearing near my temp gauge).

From what I know of the system, it is applying the brake to the slipping wheel to transfer power to the other non-slipping wheel.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by skjos
Sounds like the traction control. I get a rapid clicking noise from the engine compartment when it is activated (along with the amber skidding vehicle icon appearing near my temp gauge).

From what I know of the system, it is applying the brake to the slipping wheel to transfer power to the other non-slipping wheel.
That's exactly right.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:20 AM

PHEW.... yeah, I did notice the amber light slipping symbol, however I didn't even know I had traction control. And yeah the clicking did sound a bit like a relay.

Thank you everyone!

As for the spare, I might just put it in the cargo area once i get a hitch. Or deflating it is also a great idea. Thanks eric-the-red and bonus points for the pics.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:30 AM

If you want to be able to enable/disable the traction control and skid control systems whenever you want, look up "Andymod" for the procedure. A lot of us have wired in a switch to allow us to disable the systems when we don't want them engaged. This also disables your ABS, though.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:10 PM

sounds great, I will look into that more later on. I am not a big fan of the traction control or ABS. My tacoma doesn't even have ABS, believe it or not. It also has factory manual hubs. pretty cool.

quick question for you; how do you like the deckplate mod? I don't plan on doing many mods to the 4runner; some husky liners, maybe wet okole's and probably a stereo, beyond that I wouldn't consider much more than the deckplate mod. Is there a noticeable difference?

PS. look for a future thread, I'll get some pics of the runner up once I find my girlfriend's camera (that i bought her, now it seems she is hiding it)
Old 01-24-2008, 03:31 PM

Deckplate mod sounds cool, and may increase my mileage some if I drove reasonably when it was out. Problem is... it sounds good at high RPM, so I tend to keep it there when the deckplate is out, which leads to higher gas consumption. There's probably a slight power increase... again mostly at higher RPMs.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:01 PM

ill sell you my reciever hitch when it gets pulled at the end of the month for new bumpers......