Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Just another reasons to hate my truck.....

Old 09-28-2003, 03:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just another reasons to hate my truck.....

So I got up this morning and I felt like going out and checking the oil in my truck, since it's coming up to it's next oil change.....

Take out the dipstick.... ALMOST NO DAMN OIL IS APPARENT ON THE STICK!

It showed about 1/4 of an inch on the stick, and I still think that's a little too much...

I only have 103,000 exactly on it... Why is burning so much damn oil??

Is the engine eating it or what??

I haven't noticed no oil stains in my driveway............

WHAT HELL IS WRONG??

IS THIS NORMAL??

'Em I stupid and I don't know something or what.......??

Old 09-28-2003, 03:25 PM

Does it blow smoke when you first start it up, if it does it might be bad valve stem seals.
Old 09-28-2003, 03:26 PM

i seem to remember reading a few posts a while back where some people had the same issue and they replaced the PCV vavle to fix the issue of lost oil.................try a search of the forums and you should find it.
Old 09-28-2003, 03:33 PM

Originally posted by Reed23
Does it blow smoke when you first start it up, if it does it might be bad valve stem seals.
Nope.

Originally posted by AverysDad
i seem to remember reading a few posts a while back where some people had the same issue and they replaced the PCV vavle to fix the issue of lost oil.................try a search of the forums and you should find it.
OK.
Old 09-28-2003, 03:38 PM

btw.............how old is your truck?? is upgrading to a tacoma an option at all??

i went from a 94 reg cab 4x4 to a 95 ext cab taco 4x4 and love my taco ( i still liked my old truck too ). you might be able to find a 95/96 taco for not a lot of money but still in good shape. you might find you'll have less problems with the newer engines anyway.

just a thought
Old 09-28-2003, 04:07 PM

I did some research, and there is no way in hell I'm going to even attempt to change the PCV vavle.

I'll have my neighbor do it (he's a mechanic)....

I'm also thinking to have him clean the TB as well.. What will I need for him to do that??

My truck is nine years old -- it's a '94.

Yes, I've heavly considered upgrading to a TACOMA over the past months but I keep sliding in and out of that zone (my dream continues to pursuit my dream truck).

However, if I was to upgrade to a TACOMA, I would look for the newer models, say, 98s, 99s....

I want that TRD e-locker...

If Im going to get something, Im going to get what I want, and not beat round the bush.
Old 09-28-2003, 05:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Since I got mine in '96, it's used about a litre (quart) every 5,000 km (3k miles). Never paid it much mind. Rather, when down a quart, time for an oil change.
Old 09-28-2003, 05:25 PM
Contributing Member

You may want to get underneath your truck and look for any oil spots. I paid the dealer $40 to replace my PCV valve. Since then my oil leaks have lessened. You may want to add some gasket restorer stuff to your crank case and see if that makes you gaskets seal better. My rig has been going through about a quart every 1K miles and that's without leaving a spot on the road. The only way that I know that leaks have lessened is from looking underneath. It hasn't been long enough to check the mileage.

Old 09-28-2003, 05:37 PM

I was the one posted recently about my oil disappearing. Check the maintenance forum.

Anyways, I was using full syn mobil 1 and I had to keep filling up the oil. My PCV valve had been replaced - oil still disappeared. At 170,000 for my rig, I'm sure the oil is just to thin/slick for it. I'm gonna try something else mobil 1.
Old 09-28-2003, 08:04 PM

Originally posted by 89-4run
I was the one posted recently about my oil disappearing. Check the maintenance forum.

Anyways, I was using full syn mobil 1 and I had to keep filling up the oil. My PCV valve had been replaced - oil still disappeared. At 170,000 for my rig, I'm sure the oil is just to thin/slick for it. I'm gonna try something else mobil 1.
I read your thread.
Old 09-28-2003, 09:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I had a problem with my 90 truck burning oil.... didnt leak, no drips, valve stems were ok. I found out that I blew a ring on the number 3 piston and had to have a complete rebuild. The truck worked fine after that, but I only had 110k miles on it when i got the rebuild. Luckily, i didnt score the cylinder walls and have to replace the engine. Maybe its time for a new toyota dude...

Tim
Old 09-29-2003, 08:17 AM

Originally posted by Duffdog
Maybe its time for a new toyota dude...

Tim
Hope your wish comes true.

This would be the perfect reason to either uprade to a TACOMA or . . .
Old 09-30-2003, 10:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have a tacoma-- but i wish that i kept my old yoter also. I cant believe i sold it for 3k!! doh! Im kinda thinking that you should get a new toyota also KING... then all your strange problems might just disappear!

Tim
Old 10-01-2003, 06:32 PM

Originally posted by Duffdog
I have a tacoma-- but i wish that i kept my old yoter also. I cant believe i sold it for 3k!! doh! Im kinda thinking that you should get a new toyota also KING... then all your strange problems might just disappear!

Tim
I'm right in the decision zone.. TOYOTA or .....
Old 10-01-2003, 06:51 PM
Contributing Member

my 83 was drinking full synthetic about as fast as gas. switched to semi synthetic, and it got better, but not great. switched back to pure oil, doesnt burn a drop. that new stuff is to thin for these old motors.
Old 10-01-2003, 08:19 PM

ya, i just put in mobil 1 semi-syn tonight... gonna see how it works out.
Old 10-02-2003, 06:05 AM

King, you didn't specify if yours is the V6 but I am going to assume that it is from your reference to not doing the PCV valve yourself. I would recommend using a good brand of regular (non synthetic) oil since your rig is older. I don't believe in that semi-synthetic stuff. Get the thing to the "full" mark on the stick and log how namy miles you go until it's at the "add" line. If you're using a quart every 2 or 3K miles that is "acceptable" oil consumption. Not desired but it is acceptable. Does it run ok (or does it lack power)? If it runs ok and isn't going through more than a quart every couple of thousand miles, I would drive it and not worry about it.
Old 10-02-2003, 06:37 AM

What brand and weight oil are you currently running? I was having the same problem as you. No leaks and little to no smoke during startup and acceleration. I was running 5w-30 dino at the time. 10w-30 was a little better. Then I switched to Mobil 1 10w-30 synthetic at around 200k miles. It has helped. I burn less oil because the synthetic reconditions the seals. If you are using synthetic it shouln't leak any worse than conventional oil as long as your'e using the recomended weight. Check out http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi? for a lot of good info on oil.
Old 10-02-2003, 06:25 PM

Originally posted by Highland Runner
What brand and weight oil are you currently running? I was having the same problem as you. No leaks and little to no smoke during startup and acceleration. I was running 5w-30 dino at the time. 10w-30 was a little better. Then I switched to Mobil 1 10w-30 synthetic at around 200k miles. It has helped. I burn less oil because the synthetic reconditions the seals. If you are using synthetic it shouln't leak any worse than conventional oil as long as your'e using the recomended weight. Check out http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi? for a lot of good info on oil.
I'm using VALVOLINE 10W-30.

Yes, it's a V6.
Old 10-02-2003, 06:35 PM

Guys, please only oil in the crankcase.....no additives if you want your motor to live a healthy life.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just another reasons to hate my truck.....