Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

JET V-Force

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2003, 09:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
JET V-Force

I installed the JET V-Force controller a few weeks ago. Initially, I didn't think it made that much of a difference but as the days wore on, the tires were busting loose more, the intake throb was snortier and now it takes minimal pedal to cruise and maintain freeway speeds (even on grades). Granted, it likes 93 juice now but I'm willing to fork it over.

I figured it was sorta bunkish, but did the ECM relearn and get cozy with the V-Force after a few weeks (I figured a '94-vintage engine management system wasn't quite that advanced compared to what's out these days)?
Old 09-20-2003, 12:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What was involved in the install of the chip, and, if you don't mind, how much did it cost you?
Old 09-20-2003, 01:02 PM
Contributing Member

93 wow. We don't even have that out here. Did you reset the ECU? The computer would take time to adapt to the new conditions (or relearn if you did reset it) so yes, you're probably right. Is it possible that the gains are due to using a higher octane? Not sure how much of a difference it would make but it's just a thought.
Old 09-20-2003, 10:36 PM

It's actually pretty easy. It's not a chip per se but a box with an on/off knob (mounts anywhere inside the cab) and and an LED bar. There are five wires coming off the box: one that taps into a throttle position sensor wire and two that splice into an air flow meter wire; power and ground. Cost me $300 'n' change CDN -- can't find the receipt. The LED bar reads off the TPS and IMO is just for show and flash (I don't need an LED bar to tell me how much I'm opening the throttle).

Check jetchip.com. Go to "Imports" and then the "V-Force" and pull down "6cyl 90-02" P/N should be 67010 for a V6. Like I said, I wasn't blown away, but it's strange because it's just seems more aggresive and the tires spin all the time now. I've used hi-test before with no difference. Now, seems to make a difference. And this from Mr. Negative himself.
Old 09-21-2003, 12:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It looks like the V-Chip is kinda' canned in that it doesn't let you have access to the timing and fuel maps.. Had you seen this box before you chose the V-Chip?
http://www.perfectpower.com/products/smt6.asp

There's a huge thread on the forum about the SMT5/6:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...&threadid=5130

Mark
Old 09-21-2003, 05:41 PM
Contributing Member

Boy that description on the v-chip page is vague in true Jet fashion. It sounds like it does nothing just like the actual jet chip as Gadget proved. I don't know what to attest your gains to though...
Old 09-21-2003, 07:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Toyota Punk
Boy that description on the v-chip page is vague in true Jet fashion. It sounds like it does nothing just like the actual jet chip as Gadget proved. I don't know what to attest your gains to though...
Yeah... I wonder what it's really doing? I'd bet half a buck that it's just tweaking the advance by lying to the ECU - kinda' like the ECT mod that many of us have used.

I guess it could really be running new ignition and fuel maps, but there's VERY little info about it on the site, not even a manual or a hookup diagram.

truckmike26, you said that it T's into the TPS, and then inserts between the MAF and the ECU, right? That's would tend to indicate that it's cheating the MAF info to the ECU. Interesting.

If it works for you, cool, but I think that there are other products on the market for about the same money that do a lot more with a lot more control for the user. I really don't care for "closed systems" like that.
Old 09-22-2003, 06:49 PM

I hear ya and I know. And yeah, I was really peed how vaguely described it is. I'm pretty sure that's what it does -- fiddle with the MAF and TPS inputs for some more advance and injector pulse width.

I'll open up the box soon to see what's inside. I'll be even more peed if I find a few resistors and 555 timer! Dynamic Spectrum Tuning my ass!