Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Jerry Can Mounting Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 10:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jerry Can Mounting Ideas?

So it finally happened...I ran out of gas. I was driving back to Austin from Albuquerque and I ran out of gas about 10 miles outside of a small West Texas town. Fortunately I have a AAA membership so they were able to send someone out to give me some gas. The only problem was that it took them 1.5 hours to get to me and ended up turning an 11 hour drive into a 12.5!!

So to prevent this from ever happening again, I want to mount 1-2 jerry cans to my truck to carry for road trips, wheeling expeditions, etc. I have a Yakima Loadwarrior rack that I want to mount them to, has anyone (other than Corey) done this? I saw Corey's thread but he only mounted 1 can and I would like to mount 2, if possible. Does anyone know of any 2-can mounts that would attach to my Yakima? Finally, what kind/type and brand of Jerry Cans should I buy?
Old 01-12-2011, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would like to know also

hope somone chimes in
Old 01-12-2011, 10:22 AM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
theres tons of selections of rear bumpers for 3rd gens that hold 2... I would suggest putting them on the rear bumper only because being on the roof, its gonna make things heavy up there.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by MaK92-4RnR
theres tons of selections of rear bumpers for 3rd gens that hold 2... I would suggest putting them on the rear bumper only because being on the roof, its gonna make things heavy up there.

As much as I would like to get a rear bumper that can hold my hi-lift, spare tire, and Jerry Cans I simply don't have the money for one right now. Some of the nicer bumpers go for more than $1,000 and that is just not feasible since I am still in school full time and only working part time...I am looking for something for about $100 that can mount the cans to the rack I already have.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:05 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Keep in mind gas is about 6-7 lb's per gal, closer to probably 7-8 with the can. Do you feel comfortable with 35 lbs of weight concentrated in a small load area on that rack? 70lb if you carry. Dont forget the added stress applied when you go over bumps.

http://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com...OLDER-p12.html

best thing with this one is it's lockable.

So is this one: I am not sure about the other one but this on is stainless steel.

http://www.hannibalsafari.com/produc...1&cat=6&page=1

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 01-12-2011 at 12:16 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:22 PM

I saw pics of a guy that made a flip down cage to hold 2 Jerry cans in the spare tire area. I think it was on ExpeditionPortal, but for the life of me I can't find the link now. Anyone seen this? I thought it was pretty slick.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Nelsonmd
I saw pics of a guy that made a flip down cage to hold 2 Jerry cans in the spare tire area. I think it was on ExpeditionPortal, but for the life of me I can't find the link now. Anyone seen this? I thought it was pretty slick.
I think it was an FJ60 or 62 on ih8mud...

I've made a swing out that bolts onto the outside of the factory hitch leaving the receiver free, but am currently making a bolt-on swing out for the rear bumper I made. I was also thinking about going the route posted above in the pics just for simplicity's sake, but haven't explored the idea too much.

Last edited by CYi5; 01-12-2011 at 01:58 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
Keep in mind gas is about 6-7 lb's per gal, closer to probably 7-8 with the can. Do you feel comfortable with 35 lbs of weight concentrated in a small load area on that rack? 70lb if you carry. Dont forget the added stress applied when you go over bumps.

http://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com...OLDER-p12.html

best thing with this one is it's lockable.

So is this one: I am not sure about the other one but this on is stainless steel.

http://www.hannibalsafari.com/produc...1&cat=6&page=1

Thanks for the info! I think the frontrunneroutfitters mount is exactly what I am looking for. I really like the fact that it is lockable too.

Yeah I understand that 2 - 5 gallon cans of fuel can weigh quite a bit, but I am not planning on having them up there for more than a couple of days at a time. I would only have the cans full for wheeling trips and road trips otherwise they would be empty so they wouldn't pose a problem at all. Also, I am going to install the jerry can mounts on the Yakima rack right over one of the Thule load bars toward the center of the truck so when they are full, they won't cause severe weight distribution issues.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:40 PM

So what type/brand of Jerry Cans should I go with?
Old 01-12-2011, 02:54 PM

Why don't you just stop earlier for gas?
Old 01-12-2011, 03:00 PM

I still think 70 lbs is gonna be too much for that rack to handle especially for off road duties.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:19 PM

Here is how I have mine mounted.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:16 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Made my own, it sit in the bed against the cab.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:18 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Name:  _MG_4350_2.jpg
Views: 3777
Size:  39.2 KB
Old 01-13-2011, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by CYi5
I think it was an FJ60 or 62 on ih8mud...
Does anyone else remember this design and maybe can find a link to it? I would like to see it again, but my searching is bringing up nothing. It was such a cool design because the weight of the fuel was very low on the vehicle.

EDIT:
Well, wouldn't you know it, I find the dang thing just seconds after posting. Here it is:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ad.php?t=15910

Last edited by Nelsonmd; 01-13-2011 at 05:35 AM.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by ScottyC
Why don't you just stop earlier for gas?
I absolutely should have, I will admit that running out of gas was completely my fault. I was trying to make it home as quickly as I could and I thought that I could make it to the next town based on my gas mileage calculation...Little did I know that the wind started to pick up, so I was driving into about a 20MPH headwind which killed my gas mileage. It would just be nice to have in case I do run out, and I would use it to carry extra gas or even water when I go on long wheeling trips.

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
I still think 70 lbs is gonna be too much for that rack to handle especially for off road duties.
Yeah I did some research and I agree with you. The Thule load bars say that they can safely support up to 175lbs and the Yakima basket says that it can safely support 165lbs IF the weight is distributed evenly...So I think that 70lbs would be too much weight in a small area so, I am just going to stick with a singe Jerry Can. The single can would weigh approximately 35lbs when full so I think the rack could handle the weight without a problem. Thanks for the advice!
Old 01-13-2011, 05:36 AM

fyi, it's perfectly safe to keep a Jerry Can inside a vehicle. Unlike your standard plastic fuel carriers. I think alot of people forget that. This is assuming you have properly working seals on the cap. As alot of them dry rot out and have to be replaced.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 01-13-2011 at 05:38 AM.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by Nelsonmd
Does anyone else remember this design and maybe can find a link to it? I would like to see it again, but my searching is bringing up nothing. It was such a cool design because the weight of the fuel was very low on the vehicle.

EDIT:
Well, wouldn't you know it, I find the dang thing just seconds after posting. Here it is:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ad.php?t=15910
That is an awesome idea! That may be something to look into considering the fact that I don't have a spare tire under the truck anymore. It would be even sweeter if I could rig it up to use the stock tire lift/lower system to load/unload the Jerry Cans and secure them in place. Hmmm more to think about...
Old 01-13-2011, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by 4ever4running
That is an awesome idea! That may be something to look into considering the fact that I don't have a spare tire under the truck anymore. It would be even sweeter if I could rig it up to use the stock tire lift/lower system to load/unload the Jerry Cans and secure them in place. Hmmm more to think about...
Dude, I was just thinking the exact same thing. My only thought with that and his design is whether the cans are in that rack tight enough to prevent vibrations from letting the cans rattling or sliding at all. I could see the cans getting beat-up (and I don't mean cosmetically), or shifting a bit under vibration. The ratchet straps should solve alot of that, but I think I would do it a little different than him.

I don't have a spare either. It was stolen from the dealership a few days before I bought the thing. Sadly they cut the cable to get the spare off, and with all my rust, i will have to cut the winch off the cross member, so I won't have it.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:57 AM

not sure if I would want those under there without more protection from being hit by rocks. But it is a good idea.

Quick Reply: Jerry Can Mounting Ideas?