Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Items to survive an east coast winter?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Items to survive an east coast winter?

Hi everyone,
I'm going to be spending some time on the east coast in winter (Philly, NY, MD, NJ, etc). Bringing my 4runner (3.0 auto 4wd) with me. Any tips for driving or equipment? I grew up in SoCal so I "don't know how to drive". he he he

I have been told to carry burlap bags for traction if I get stuck, change my windshield washer fluid to the stuff with antifreeze, get a windshield scraper, and to try not to touch the brakes or make sudden moves. Any secrets? Should I buy chains?

How fast can you drive on icy/snow-covered roads/highways while in 4wd. Not planning to do any off roading, but it could happen.

How about care for the Runner. Is synthetic oil a good idea since I have 163k miles on the motor? Should I bother washing it in the winter to get all the salt off or will the water just freeze all over everything? Should I idle the Runner for 10 minutes or something before I drive off in the morning?

Thanks for any suggestions,
J
Old 10-30-2005, 02:05 PM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Since you will be near the coast, when ever there is a warm up, wash it and get the underside too. If you are driving on snow depending on the road, highway, no more than 35 in 4wd. Secondary roads, no more than 25. If people pass you, just wave knowing you will probably see them in the ditch later, personal experience.
Definitely get a scraper and a brush for snow removal. The blue stuff for washer fluid is fine for temps you will see.
Your runner is fuel infected, no need to idle for more than a couple minutes.
When was the last time your battery was replaced.? more than 5 years, get a new one. Nothing kills a battery like cold weather.
Never slam your brakes on snow and ice, pretend you have an egg under your foot and keep at least 5 car lenghts between you and the person in frony of you. Good luck.
Old 10-30-2005, 02:05 PM

After the first snowfall, find an empty parking lot and figure out how to drive in snow. Let it slide, check braking distances, just don't try tight corners. Definitely wash you runner. Doesn't have to be a good wash job but if you visit a carwash and get the cheapo wash with underbody spray that will do wonders. Forget the burlap and carry kitty litter, much better and it will give you weight for traction so you don't have to drive in 4 all the time. Use 5w30 versus 10w30. Your engine performs better when cold, hence cold air intakes. Start it and let the idle settle down then drive away. Pre-heating is just that, heating the interior for those who can't stand being cold.
Old 10-30-2005, 02:15 PM

how long you goin to be there for? good choice is to get it undercoated for like 60 bucks to stop the salt from rusting your rig out.
Old 10-30-2005, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by token7888
I grew up in SoCal so I "don't know how to drive". he he he
Oh boy, you are in trouble.

Great advice about checking the battery and feeling your runner out in an empty parking lot. Remember, 4 wheel drive doesn't make you stop any faster, so allow a lot more stopping distance than you are used to.

You should make sure your rear brakes are adjusted properly. They tend to get neglected and they will help you a great deal in the snow. I favor the windshield de-icer instead of the blue stuff. Remember to keep your heater on 'fresh' air to help defog.

I like to put a fresh coat of wax on before the snow starts to help minimize rust (namely on all of my 'rock dings'). Do not use your emergency brake in the snow. The ice build up will freeze it in the on position. Good tires make all the difference in snowy/icy conditions.
Old 10-30-2005, 02:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't tell you haw many people from Flordia I have pulle dout of ditches after snow/ice storms...

Only real way to get good is to practice, just find a parking lot.

A good training tool is to put a FULL glass of water in the cupholder, and try to drive around without spilling it. Thats the kind of driving style that works best in snow.

Lamm
Old 10-30-2005, 03:03 PM

one more thing that no one mentioned yet - try to keep your gas tank at least 1/2 full. two reasons: 1 - if you get stuck and have to sit on the side of the road, you'll need the engine to keep you warm. 2- water vapor condences out in the cold. if the tank gets too empty, then you can get a bunch of water in your gas and it'll freeze in the fuel line - not a good thing.
Old 10-30-2005, 05:40 PM

know how to use your gears... on slipper roads, using gears to keep your speed in check (especially when going down hill) is key.

other than that, just leave LOOOTS of distance between you and everyone else, and allow a lot of extra time to brake.

Don't worry about all the "gear" necessary to survive a winter... get a decent ice scraper, and leave a set of gloves in your rig. Keep a fair amount of gas in the truck at all times (just in case), and have at it. A smart, responsible person is a good driver, a "prepared person" can still be an idiot on the road.

Oh, and wash it when you can, but if it's cold, the doors will freeze shut on you after a wash... so make sure you dry out the door jams. Washing is not crucial though as you will only be here for "part of the winter". Give it a good wax before you get snowed on, then a good washing when you leave the northeast. Regular oil is probably fine - weight is more important than synthetic or regular... and the cheap blue washer fluid that goes on sale at wallmart for $.99 gallon is fine. Fill your res early and often, and keep an extra jug on hand - you'll go though a lot of fluid.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:28 AM

From a lifelong vet driving NJ roads in the winter, my personal peice of advice is to always fill your tank the day before major snow. The extra weight in the rear always seems to help me...plus you'll need it when sitting in traffic jams, trust me.

I dont think that ant-freeze washer fluid is any great shakes...hell if you just leave your def on full blast a& let the car warm up it does the ice melt for ya...plus you'll be going through quite a bit of it during snow melt time on the highways...all that water & salt mist from the highway will give you a nice layer of salt on your windows, so you'll be using a lot of it. Coupled with am sunglare its brutal.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:40 AM

How are your tires? Tires can make quite a big differance in the snow. If you're looking to replace them, take a look at some studded tires, heck better yet, look at some bridgestone blizzaks. They are some good tires that do really good in snow and ice.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:47 AM

If you ask a policeman for one piece of winter driving advice most of them will simply say two words..."Slow Down"!
Old 10-31-2005, 06:52 AM
Banned

May I recommend giving the undercarriage a good coating of WD-40 before and after the trip. Salt is not metal's friend!

Also don't forget a flash light and yes bring chains!

O ya, Watch out for big rigs! Them dudes are nuts!!!
Old 10-31-2005, 07:22 AM
HawkFanatic

One thing to really do is be alert. Watch out for other people.
Last winter there was about 8" on the ground. I was coming home and a factory had just ended thier shift and all these people were coming out of a parking lot one by one. Well one dude in a taurus wagon was screwing around and pulled out too fast and ended up sideways in the middle of the road with me barreling down on him. I would have creamed him, but I just maintained speed, and drifted off to the right in the entrance to a industrial park and right back on the road without missing a beat.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:34 AM

I bought a rig from down south, I almost lost the engine because he ran mostly water in the antifreeze!
Old 10-31-2005, 11:57 AM

Make sure to keep an extra sweatshirt, pair of gloves, and a hat in the truck, if you have to walk to get help you won't regret it. I agree with the advice to find an empty parking lot and learn how to handle your rig. Slide the rear end out and practice recovering it, hit the brakes hard to see how to handle it, etc. Also, not a bad idea to keep a small shovel or something in there just in case. Also, skip the kitty litter, it gets soggy after a while and no longer offers you the same traction. Buy a couple bags of "tube sand", adds weight over the rear tires, doesn't rip open easily and can be used if you get stuck.

The big thing is just be careful and try to minimize suddent movements. Remember, nothing responds in the winter like it does in the summer, even small movements can get exagerated in the winter, and no matter how many wheel drive you have nothing will help you on ice but well-siped tires and slow speeds.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:00 PM
lee
Contributing Member

^^^ yup.

i use the sand in a tube stuff too.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:33 PM

Lamm said:
"A good training tool is to put a FULL glass of water in the cupholder, and try to drive around without spilling it. Thats the kind of driving style that works best in snow."

This isnt Initial D !!! lol
Old 10-31-2005, 01:46 PM

Huh? Whats initial D?

Lamm
Old 10-31-2005, 03:15 PM

I grew up in PA and I can say you can get cought in a real mess of a storm in as little as an hour in that area. It can really come down fast. I was right in central PA where there are alot of the mountains so there were a lot of small curvy roads that did not get plowed untill days after a big storm. Be ready at all times. Just because the roads are clear on your way to where you going does not mean they will be clear on the way home.

As far as the truck goes. I see it is an auto so make sure your fluid is good and fresh for the winter. Your trans gets HOTTER in the snow than it does on dry pavment. Be patiant with traffic. I drive to PA every year around the holidays to see my family and it not uncommon to be going 35- 40MPH on I-80. Keep your speed down is the best advice anybody can give. Somtimes you can not avoid an accident. but at least if you at slow speed you can usually walk away.

As was said earlier. Keep your distance from 18wheelers. Those guys are nuts.

Last edited by ThomasJ; 10-31-2005 at 03:18 PM.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Swissdrums
Lamm said:
"A good training tool is to put a FULL glass of water in the cupholder, and try to drive around without spilling it. Thats the kind of driving style that works best in snow."

This isnt Initial D !!! lol
I was gonna say..." What are you delivering tofu??"!!!

Quick Reply: Items to survive an east coast winter?