Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

ISR Mod is Pissing Me Off!!!!!!

Old 06-13-2003, 07:05 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ISR Mod is Pissing Me Off!!!!!!

I have spent all night messing with this damn thing and as of right now, the ISR is back on. Last night, I got the 2.5" ID PVC from Home Depot, cut it to a length of approximately 5 5/8", and painted it. I got home from work today ready to go and "drop" this thing into place and see how big of a gain I got. And so the ˟˟˟˟˟ing battle commenced. I don't know why it won't fit right. It seems to be a pain in the ass trying to wiggle and squirm the PVC into place. Then, when I finally got it in, it just looked a little off. The flex hose coming from the air box just didn't look as smooth as it did in Dr. Z's pics. I didn't understand this. Well I figured it was ok so I tried to put the hose clamps back on. The lovely little screws came up a fraction of an inch short. The clamp wouldn't fit no matter what I tried. Well, I thought maybe I should shave a little lip onto the PVC with the Dremel so that the clamps will fit. Wrong!! Still won't fit. So I decide to cut a new piece of PVC and not paint it yet. Just wanted to see if it would fit. It didn't. So I decide to go back to Home Depot and try to get this same screw for the hose clamp, just a little longer. They don't have it. I picked up some bigger ID hose clamps but in my frustration, I forgot how skinny the stock clamps are so these won't work either. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As the title of the post says, This thing has pissed me off!!!!!!

Matt

Matt
Old 06-13-2003, 07:37 PM
Contributing Member

Dang Matt... sorry to hear about all the troubles.
I'll admit that I didn't get all my parts right away. I drove around with parts I didn't want until I found good things to jury-rig together. Spent probably a week or so going to auto shops for grommets and hardware stores for caps.

Still, the little gain I got from it was worth it
Old 06-13-2003, 09:20 PM

It sounds like you tried to put the clamps around the hoses after you put it all together. Try putting the original clamps on the hoses before slapping it all together. Then, just before you try to slide the pipe into the hose, spit on it! Rub some spit on it, and she'll pop right in. Now, I know you're going to ask how I know this to work, lets just say I spent alot of time in junior high not studying...
Old 06-14-2003, 02:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In the "Flooring with SC" I had attached a photo of the PVC tube I used that was machined down to the OD specs that DrZ recommended. It fit perfectly. You should also replace the Phillips head clamp screws with some stainless screws of the same thread / pitch and length.
Old 06-14-2003, 06:29 AM
Contributing Member

Location: Home: Aurora, CO; Work: The People's Republic of Denver
I had the same issue with the mod. What I did was to put the tube into the flex hose coming out of the air box first and SLOWLY work it into the hose. Then I worked the other end of the tube into the TB flex hose using a small flathead screwdriver to pull the the lip of the hose over the top of the PVC pipe. Once together, I slid the PVC around a little to get the best fit. I also picked up two new 2-1/2 - 3-5/8" hose clamps from PepBoys that come two to a pack, unscrewed them completely, put them around the hose and screwed them back together. They work a lot better than the stock ones which I kept with the sliencer in case of a reinstall later. All works fine and it took me about two hours total.

I know how you feel since I got equally frustrated when I had to make the 8:30pm run to Pepboys for the clamp and when the hose didn't fit just right. Patience is an elusive thing for me in things like this at time. Works fine for me know, though, and the intake growl is awesome!
Old 06-14-2003, 08:02 AM
Contributing Member

For those of you that did this mod using a metal pipe or exhaust tubing, here's a couple of questions..............

1. Did it just slide in or did you have to wiggle it like crazy to get it to go in there?
2. Did you reuse the stock hose clamps or did you buy new ones?
3. What dimensions did you use? 5 5/8" for the length seems a little long to me.

Dr. Z, where you at podnah?

Later.

Matt
Old 06-14-2003, 08:06 AM

Here is the link to the pics of my 3 year old ISR mod with Ractive style "H" filter:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...threadid=12292
Old 06-22-2003, 08:24 PM
Contributing Member

Here is a picture of the mod on a 2001 3.4L engine. Note the difference on the FPR hose routing.
Attached Thumbnails ISR Mod is Pissing Me Off!!!!!!-isrmod2_web.jpg  
Old 06-22-2003, 08:26 PM
Contributing Member

Here is a better close up of the FPR hose routed into the manifold.
Attached Thumbnails ISR Mod is Pissing Me Off!!!!!!-isrmod1_web.jpg  
Old 06-23-2003, 07:54 AM

I Feel Your Pain!!!!

Originally posted by LSUMatt1514
For those of you that did this mod using a metal pipe or exhaust tubing, here's a couple of questions..............

1. Did it just slide in or did you have to wiggle it like crazy to get it to go in there?
2. Did you reuse the stock hose clamps or did you buy new ones?
3. What dimensions did you use? 5 5/8" for the length seems a little long to me.

Matt: When I did this mod on my 2nd gen I too had the same issues. Before you discount the fact that since mine is a 2nd gen and your is a 3rd gen, that these are two completely different applications......I want to let you know that I FEEL YOUR PAIN ON THE !@#$$#^$&%* INSTALL Brah

I had to get that frustration out.....now I feel better . My install went smooth all the way uo to painting my PVC.......then everything went to hell. My PVC didn't fit eaily into the rubber connectors either. I found that I used the regular 3" PVC and not the thin wall stuff.....so my OD was larger than what everyone else was using!!! So, I had to wiggle it....and wiggle it....and then cuss......and then wiggle it......walk away and cuss some more......kick the dog (well I didn't really do that...but I felt like it).....so I kicked the neighbors dog (didn't really do that either)....scratched the paint job on my PVC.....cussed a lot.... then I had a revelation. I remembered back to high school chemistry where we used Dawn dishwashing liquid to libricate glass tubing so it would slide into a rubber stopper. I tried that trick by wiping a little of the Dawn on the PVC pipe ends and it slid right in. It is very similar to VMaxjohn's spitting advice but the Dawn also makes it more slippery so it works a little better. I too had to make several trips to the parts store to get larger hose clamps. Mine now is installed and works but it did come back and haunt me again this weekend when the Runner failed to start. It cranked forever but never fired. All of that wiggling had knocked one of the sparkplug wires loose!! In the 2nd gen, the ISR runs right by the Distributor. I plugged the wire back in and the truck runs fine.

I hope you get yours installed. I just wanted to let you know that it mine wasn't an easy slam-dunk and that I shared your pain.

David.