Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Introducing the SMT7......

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2004, 12:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Introducing the SMT7......

DING DING DING ROUND 2....heheh NOT....lets hope....

Well everyone the time has fianlyl arrived and the initial SMT7's have been released for testing. I am hoping to reciev mine sometime in november in which i will be extensivly testing on GEN 1 2 and 3 tacomas....(yes finally supporting the GEN 3's)

I will report the results on my website (www.sea2skytuning.com its currently down as im adding some checkout features to the main site) and have fuel upgrade kits availble shortly after with either the SMT6 or SMT7 options...

Some of the key features that the SMT7 brings to the table is as follows:

Most importantly-
Up to 2 balanced ignition signals (CRANK+CAM) can be intercepted and mapped via Throttle/RPM, AMP and Air temperature for the purpose of retarding/advancing the ignition.That means that the problem the SMT6 had is now resolved for the GEN3 Tacomas as it needed the crank and cam sensor to be altered.

A narrow band lambda signal is intercepted and can be mapped via Throttle/RPM.
A wide band signal can be modified (not intercepted and not displayed!).

This feature gives the ability to modify a closed loop system on cars that already have one installed.

This gives you the ability to modifiy closed and open loop systems in your vehicle for dead on tunning and no need for the ESC1 to dump you into open loop at 2psi as you can adjust the fuel ratio to be richer as you go around 5-6psi (jsut shy of wot).

Boost Control
It is for turbo installations where the boost must be controlled to avoid knocking on non-decompressed engines, or when the boost is increased at high RPM. The boost level can be specified for each RPM. The SMT7 will operate a “bleed” valve with the specified PWM values. Take note not to use a solenoid that measures less than 13 ohm.

Pritty straight forward....boost control for any turbo guys out there.

The SMT7 firmware can be upgraded in the field, it can be “re-flashed”. This allows you to receive new firmware via the internet and download it to the SMT7. It is also possible to have different firmware for different applications.

Map switching....
Stright forward...2 maps for different driving levels/gas types...whatever you wish.

Logging display shows every sensor that is wired to the SMT7 and is able to log the volts it produces for tuning purposes.

Launch Control
This is for turbo cars where “spooling up” of the turbo is required on the start line. The ignition is retarded when a specified RPM is exceeded and advanced when the clutch is released.

All i have to say is....fun times! Who doesnt want launch control!

Driving History
This screen displays the recorded driving history and all maximum recordings. Provision is made to clear or reset all recordings. The driving history is displayed in minutes and can be shown in 2D and 3D.

Pritty stright forward there....leave yor vehicle at the dealer? you can tell what they did while it was there...if they drove it hard or not....and good for tuning as well

Oh and can any other NON STANDLONE do this?

The SMT7 can be used for converting from a MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor to a MAP (Manifold Absolute pressure) sensor. The SMT7 can “learn” the MAF sensor characteristics while monitoring the MAP sensor. After the “learn” process the SMT7 requires fine-tuning.
Thats right get rid of that maf and put a map sensor in there no need to worry about cleaning that thing out anymore! Lots of oppurtnity here......

Those are some of the key features i have pointed out for the smt7....of course i will be testing this unit as much as possible so we dont have another million page thread agian. In the testing process i will wokr closly with the techs at PP to make sure things are A-Ok....

Its gonna be great to have such a unit to work with and finally be able to work with all 3 tacoma gens!

Thanks all for reading all this hope it was informative!

-Johnny R.

www.sea2skytuning.com

Last edited by Weasy2k; 10-22-2004 at 12:53 AM.
Old 10-22-2004, 08:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think I now have a chubby! roflmao

I was just thinking about the smt 6 and wondering when the next version would come out. My god everything is just falling into place for my next truck!!
Old 10-22-2004, 08:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am still amazing at what this thing can do....im already in the works of getting a MAP sensor and then its bye bye supra maf gonna be interesting on what can be done now.