95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Intermittent starting and stalling issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 09:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intermittent starting and stalling issues

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.
2000 4Runner SRS with 244K on it.

In the past sometimes I'd go to start it up and it would fire over and stall right away. I'd fire it up again and it would crank a little longer than usually but would fire up and be fine. This happened maybe once or twice a year.
My wife has been driving it the last few years and recently the above issue has started happening more frequently. She also says if she is sitting idling (for her work she has to sit in the vehicle and record notes on her laptop) for 5-10 mins and then turning it off if she tries to fire it up again right away it has trouble starting.

Timing belt was changed at 182K (the 2nd time it was changed).
Plugs changed about 60K ago and the coil packs are original I think.

My first thought is do plugs and coil packs. Anything else I should be considering or looking into?
Got it with 82K on it back in 2005 and it's overall been a great vehicle. My wife now does a lot of driving for work and really can't have her stranded.

Thanks for the help.
Old 12-04-2016, 10:32 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Is this stalling causing you MIL to trip ??

If so what code ??

Hard starting you mean it cranks long before starting ??

Leaking Injectors getting the plugs wet??
Old 12-04-2016, 05:08 PM

No warning or idiot lights are being tripped. I can run the scanner to see if any codes are being triggered.

Yes, hard starting meaning it cranks longer than usual for it to fire up.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I suspect fuel pump. When parked it might be losing it's "prime". The injectors can lose pressure when parked and have to pump back up while cranking. It might be time to replace the fuel pump, and/or fuel filter. Have a fuel pressure leak down performed and see if it's losing pressure while parked. Also see if the pump is making proper pressure at all RPM ranges.
Old 12-06-2016, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by stangman39
Hope everyone is having a good weekend.
2000 4Runner SRS with 244K on it.

In the past sometimes I'd go to start it up and it would fire over and stall right away. I'd fire it up again and it would crank a little longer than usually but would fire up and be fine. This happened maybe once or twice a year.
My wife has been driving it the last few years and recently the above issue has started happening more frequently. She also says if she is sitting idling (for her work she has to sit in the vehicle and record notes on her laptop) for 5-10 mins and then turning it off if she tries to fire it up again right away it has trouble starting.

Timing belt was changed at 182K (the 2nd time it was changed).
Plugs changed about 60K ago and the coil packs are original I think.

My first thought is do plugs and coil packs. Anything else I should be considering or looking into?
Got it with 82K on it back in 2005 and it's overall been a great vehicle. My wife now does a lot of driving for work and really can't have her stranded.

Thanks for the help.
Symptoms do not sound like plugs or coil packs but suggestions on fuel supply (pump, filter) could be correct. If you can't do further diagnosis, I would recommend that you start by removing and cleaning the Idle Air Controller (IAC) which is cheap and not difficult. Just had similar issues on my 2000 3.4L at ~235,000 miles and this fixed it. In disassembling the IAC for cleaning, one of the screws got rounded out and the gasket fell apart so I purchased new screws & gasket from Toyota dealership - $5 - $10 total as I recall.

Buckaroo.

Last edited by Buckaroo5; 12-06-2016 at 03:08 AM.