Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Intermitent temperature gauge malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intermitent temperature gauge malfunction

As the title says my temp gauge fluctuates sporadically. It just does it out of the blue every month. It dips down to the bottom of the gauge "cold" them goes back to the normal operating temp. It does it a couple times, then it is fine until the next time it does it.

Has anybody else had this problem, and what was the cause.

I guess when I get time I will be checking my wiring etc.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:09 PM

i am having the same problem with my temp gauge? When i start the car gauge will be at the middle int he normal temp location??

Anyone???
Old 07-29-2009, 02:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Runner00,
Does the gauge dip really fast like it lost power and then right back up to normal again, or does it move slowly? Does it always drop or does it spike sometimes too? Bad ground or bad hot is my guess.

86 RunnerSR5,
Does it drop like Runner00, or is it always in the middle no matter what even after sitting all night? Does it pop up to the middle when you turn your key, but before you start the motor?
Old 07-29-2009, 02:28 PM

When i start the 4runner in the morning after sitting all night long it will go up to the middle right away. and also when driving around town it will drop to the bottom and then spike back to normal temp again..

so you think it could be a bad ground from t he cluster or in the engine??
Old 07-29-2009, 02:42 PM

The temp gauge should work with the engine off, but in the ACC mode (1st click when you turn the key). I would suggest letting it cool down for at least a few hours and then see what the gauge reads in the ACC position before your turn it over. It would help determine the problem.

It could be a bad ground, maybe a bad gauge or a number of things. If it's a wiring issue, I would guess it's isolated to that gauge and not the cluster unless you have problems w/ your other gauges too. Check the wiring going directly to the gauge behind your dash.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:44 PM

"Runner00,
Does the gauge dip really fast like it lost power and then right back up to normal again, or does it move slowly? Does it always drop or does it spike sometimes too? Bad ground or bad hot is my guess."

It always drops really fast and flickers like it lost power (on/off/on etc), then back up to normal again. Does it a couple of times in a row when it does do it.

Thx for the reply
Old 07-29-2009, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by brian2sun
The temp gauge should work with the engine off, but in the ACC mode (1st click when you turn the key). I would suggest letting it cool down for at least a few hours and then see what the gauge reads in the ACC position before your turn it over. It would help determine the problem.

It could be a bad ground, maybe a bad gauge or a number of things. If it's a wiring issue, I would guess it's isolated to that gauge and not the cluster unless you have problems w/ your other gauges too. Check the wiring going directly to the gauge behind your dash.

If i turn the ACC on it goes to the middle at normal temp level, everyother gauge works fine.. so i dont think it might be the cluster from what you are saying. but i might have to check all of the wires going to the temp gauge.

thanks for the replies.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by runner00
"Runner00,
Does the gauge dip really fast like it lost power and then right back up to normal again, or does it move slowly? Does it always drop or does it spike sometimes too? Bad ground or bad hot is my guess."

It always drops really fast and flickers like it lost power (on/off/on etc), then back up to normal again. Does it a couple of times in a row when it does do it.

Thx for the reply

Sorry for the high jack runner00, i just have the same problem as your 4runner.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:24 PM

Runner00, it sounds like it is the wiring to me. It could be the sensor on the other end, but since you didn't mention a check engine light going off, I'll bet it's the gauge. Since it's a sudden flicker, I've found that intermittent problems like this are usually bad wires, loose connections, or corroded contacts.

86RunnerSR5, I've found that if a gauge spikes, it's usually because it grounded out itself out somewhere. Since yours doesn't spike, but rather it goes to the normal operating temp (middle of the gauge) when you know the coolant/engine is cold, I am thinking the gauge just wore out. Does it ever go into the HOT?
Old 07-29-2009, 03:50 PM

Location: Shelburne, VT previous: Everett, WA; Bellingham, WA
Runner00, it sounds like it is the wiring to me. It could be the sensor on the other end, but since you didn't mention a check engine light going off, I'll bet it's the gauge. Since it's a sudden flicker, I've found that intermittent problems like this are usually bad wires, loose connections, or corroded contacts.

86RunnerSR5, I've found that if a gauge spikes, it's usually because it grounded out itself out somewhere. Since yours doesn't spike, but rather it goes to the normal operating temp (middle of the gauge) when you know the coolant/engine is cold, I am thinking the gauge just wore out. Does it ever go into the HOT?

I followed this conversation and concur with the quoted response. My gut says bad ground/corrosion for Runner00, and bad gauge/sensor for 86RunnerSR5.

Remember, you can't always SEE corroded wires.. ask me how i know...
Old 07-29-2009, 05:53 PM

No it never goes to HOT level, it always stays on the middle. If the guage is bad then this is a good excuse to get a set of autometer gauges

Last edited by 86_RunnerSR5; 07-29-2009 at 05:56 PM.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:52 AM

there are 2 temp sensors

one drives the dashboard indicator

one drives the ECU

hook up to OBD-II and see what the 'gauge-that-matters' reads and compare
Old 07-30-2009, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by BigBallsMcFalls
there are 2 temp sensors

one drives the dashboard indicator

one drives the ECU

hook up to OBD-II and see what the 'gauge-that-matters' reads and compare
That's a good idea. An OBD-II won't work for 86_RunnerSR5 though right? OBD-I for him?

86_RunnerSR5, since the gauge doesn't ever go hot and doesn't ever seem to move from the middle position except when it flickers, it's still looking like a bad gauge to me. Good luck..and please post the results..Runner00 too!
Old 10-31-2013, 11:25 AM

Did anything come of this thread??

I have a '98 4runner with the same problem. The temp gauge won't work, but sometimes if I bang on the dashboard it comes alive. Thus, I'm quite sure this is a loose connection somewhere in the dash cluster. This (at least for me) is not a sensor issue. I wonder if that's the same issue affecting others on this thread. When it's not working, neither will the fuel gauge (though that's harder to detect because it reacts so slowly.) Has anyone else dug around behind the dash and determined the culprit? I'd be really grateful to hear from anyone who has. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:41 AM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
pull the wire off the temp gauge sensor, and with the key on tap the wire to a ground and watch the gauge. It should dance when you tap the ground. If it not the gauge is faulty.