Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Interior Bike Rack

Old 04-21-2003, 05:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Interior Bike Rack

I was in the market for a bike rack, but found them too expensive. I didn't want to spend $200 on a bike rack - I would rather spend that kind of money on upgrades! Anyhow, I got this idea while browsing through the Yakima catalog:

INSTALL
- Universal Bike Mount
- Sheet metal bolts w/washer (1 1/2" long)
I used a drill bit socket adapter and simply drilled the sheet metal bolts though the mounting holes of the universal bike mounts, and into the back of the seats. There is a sheet of metal behind the rear seats (at least in my '91 4R), so this works perfectly.

I purchased my universal bike mounts at Performance Bike - its on sale for $10 each right now (in store only, online is $15). Yakima makes one called the "Blockhead", Thule's is called the "Low Rider".

Notice that the bike mounts are installed at an angle. This gives the handle bars plenty of room when transporting two bikes so they don't get tied up.
I chose to place the bike mounts on the back of the rear seats instead of the rear truck bed so that I could utilize the flat cargo area and slide items in and out easily when not transporting any bikes. If you choose to mount on the truck bed, you should be able to transport three bikes. For extra security, I use a bungee cord to secure the rear bike frame or tire to the trucks tie rings.

I use a very large trash bag as a tarp and line the truck bed. I lay the tarp down before mounting the bikes to collect the dirt after a good ride. No mess!

Total cost: $25

Last edited by BigGunna; 04-21-2003 at 06:06 AM.
Old 04-21-2003, 05:38 AM
Contributing Member

How exactly did you install them? You mentioned the sheet metal bolts. So they just srew into the back of the seat? I have an '01 runner and a GT Aggressor. I was looking for a solution just like this one.
Old 04-21-2003, 06:07 AM

Originally posted by sabre
How exactly did you install them? You mentioned the sheet metal bolts. So they just srew into the back of the seat? I have an '01 runner and a GT Aggressor. I was looking for a solution just like this one.
I used a drill bit socket adapter and simply drilled the sheet metal bolts though the mounting holes of the universal bike mounts, and into the back of the seats. There is a sheet of metal behind the rear seats (at least in my '91 4R), so this works perfectly.
Old 04-21-2003, 06:31 AM

That is a sweet idea! Just added that to my list of mods "to do", although with my cargo box in the rear I am not sure if bikes will fit like that - I will have to go and measure...
Old 04-21-2003, 06:35 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Looks like a very clean install.
I use to run one one of those type of mounts in the back of my '90 truck I had.
I had it bolted to a piece of wood and it worked out great.

As the kids got older though and they got bikes, I ended up putting all three mountain bikes on the roof of the truck with Yakima Lock Jaws that allow you to keep the front wheel on still.

I still have one Lockjaw mount on the 4Runner now for my bike.
Use to have 3 also on it, but the kids are grown now, and have their own vehicles.

http://www.toyotaoffroad.net/tando/b...mp/lockjaw.jpg

One of these days I need to get a new bike, mine is such an antique.
Old 04-21-2003, 07:35 AM

Big',

Your idea is cheaper, but I bought an interior bike rack for my bikes when I got the truck. It's a long plate with adjustable fork mounts. It fits width wise in the truck and you can slide the mounts to accomodate different handle bars etc. It was about $89 at bike shops. I don't bolt it down, but you could.

I'll take a pic tonight and show you.

Mike
Old 04-21-2003, 08:04 AM
Contributing Member

that's pretty neat. but I go camping when I windsurf and most of the time the wife, dogs, and I just throw the two sleeping bags (zipped together of course) in the back with the seatbacks down so those would kind of be uncomfortable. what we do with out bikes is just remove the front wheel and basically put them in the back like you do but only we take a 2 foot bungy and secure the frame to the striker loop thing that the seat back snaps onto. The seat stays on and pads the bike against the top part of the interior panel above the rear winders. this keeps them nice and secure and up against the inside so the middle remains open for the mountain biking and adventure racing gear.

Last edited by keisur; 04-21-2003 at 08:07 AM.
Old 04-21-2003, 08:24 AM

I was going to do something similar with my rig, except that type of mount doesn't work with disc brakes
Old 04-21-2003, 08:26 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by jacksonpt
I was going to do something similar with my rig, except that type of mount doesn't work with disc brakes
so just do what I do. I think it cost me $1 for the bungy's at the Dollar General.
Old 04-21-2003, 09:04 AM
Contributing Member

Hey that's a great idea. I am also looking into something for the mountain bikes. Problem is, I need the interior space to hold all the camping equipment. So, that forces me to look for something to mount to the roof.

Are those mounts to the seats really sturdy? I just dont see how they could be.
Old 04-21-2003, 09:16 AM
Erc

Originally posted by jacksonpt
Jackson, that mount works very well with disc brakes. It's very tall, so the caliper shouldn't touch anything when you drop the fork onto the QR axle. What kinda fork/brake do you have?
I have mounts just like pictured above. I bolted them to a 2x6. I can put it in the truck any way I want and it's not permanent, so I can use it on different vehicles (I used to use same rack inside a van).
Also, I used it with Magura, Hayes and Avid disc brakes (all on Marzocchi forks) with no issues.
Old 04-21-2003, 03:51 PM
Contributing Member

Dammit!
I need to stop coming here... I guess I'll be making a trip to Performance Bikes later.

Lessee now... what have I bought this month so far?

Cobra CB (antenna still pending)
Coleman 400/800 Power Inverter
Air horns
One of those locks that goes on the door knobs for extra keys (I use it on my tie-down hooks in my bed)
Buss Fuse box for battery connections

and coming soon... Bike bolting thingamajiggy

*sigh*
I wonder if McDonald's is hiring - I may have to start working for food. :pat:
Old 04-21-2003, 10:02 PM
Contributing Member

Well, I picked me up a pair. They look really nice and sturdy.

Can't wait until I have the time to figure where I want to put them. Thanks for the tip!
Old 04-22-2003, 04:35 AM

I have been using these for awhile with no problems. I simply mounted them on a piece of 1x8 with wood screws. You can put the bikes closer together if you mount the brackets at an angle. When I want to haul the bikes, I simply lay the board in the back and slide in the bikes. I put them in facing the rear, so that it is easy to access the mounts.

I don't have anything holding the board, so it can slide a bit if you slam on the brakes. There is not much room to move, so this has not been a problem.

Don
Old 04-22-2003, 04:58 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Tacoma Dude
...figure where I want to put them.
Mount them on the ceiling of the cargo area. That way you still have the whole floor of the cargo area to put gear.
Old 04-22-2003, 10:24 AM
Contributing Member

No roof in my Tacoma
I'm actually thinking on top of one of my wheel wells.
Or maybe bolted directly on to a polyethylene hopper toolbox I'll be picking up from Sears tomorrow...
Old 04-22-2003, 10:55 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Those look kind of cool, I need a bike rack, right now I just lay my bike on its side in the back and take off the front tire if necessary (depends how much other junk is back there)..
Old 04-22-2003, 10:58 AM
Contributing Member

The Performance Bikes guy told me that they'd be on sale until Sunday. I only have one bike but I bought 2

You never know, right?
Old 04-22-2003, 06:31 PM

Here's my rack.
Old 04-22-2003, 06:32 PM

oops, forgot the pic
Attached Thumbnails Interior Bike Rack-bike-rack-2.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Interior Bike Rack