Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

intake mod

Old 05-05-2003, 09:49 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
intake mod

I was reading about the 3.0 V6 intake silencer removal mod.
It says it is for 2nd generations. I have a 88' V6. and the intake loks the same. Will the mod work for mine too?
Old 05-05-2003, 09:55 AM

Yes, it will
Old 05-05-2003, 10:00 AM

I know this has nothing to do with your post...But your name...Tatsuo....Is that from Akira? and if it is...Then I thought it was spelled Tetsuo....Nothing major...
Old 05-05-2003, 10:02 AM
Contributing Member

if you do the mod...

if you do the intake mod don't paint it black that will absorb more heat from the engine bay and thin the air. you should either mahe it out of stainless steel or otherwise paint it silver or white or have it chromed this will cause it to reflect heat away from the intake and help to keep the incoming air as cool and dense as posible which will lead to better performance...there may also be an increasein the noise level it might sound like you've got a jake brake on the engine when you lift of the throttle...nothing wrong with that! cheers Aviator
Old 05-05-2003, 10:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: if you do the mod...

Originally posted by aviator
if you do the intake mod don't paint it black that will absorb more heat from the engine bay and thin the air. you should either mahe it out of stainless steel or otherwise paint it silver or white or have it chromed this will cause it to reflect heat away from the intake and help to keep the incoming air as cool and dense as posible which will lead to better performance...there may also be an increasein the noise level it might sound like you've got a jake brake on the engine when you lift of the throttle...nothing wrong with that! cheers Aviator
Or wrap it with header wrap. Might reduce the noise too.
Old 05-05-2003, 10:38 AM
Contributing Member

Re: if you do the mod...

Originally posted by aviator
if you do the intake mod don't paint it black that will absorb more heat from the engine bay and thin the air.
I hope you are kidding about this.
Old 05-05-2003, 10:40 AM

Originally posted by Mudd Runna
I know this has nothing to do with your post...But your name...Tatsuo....Is that from Akira? and if it is...Then I thought it was spelled Tetsuo....Nothing major...
No it sure doesn't, But i do get asked that question a lot. Yes, in Akira he is named Tetsuo, The japanese name that was given to me is Tatsuo.
Old 05-05-2003, 11:03 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Tatsuo
No it sure doesn't, But i do get asked that question a lot. Yes, in Akira he is named Tetsuo, The japanese name that was given to me is Tatsuo.
Translation:

Tatsu:

"Dragon or Mighty"

o:

"Guy"
Old 05-05-2003, 11:13 AM

*clap clap clap clap* congrats, your the first person to figure that out
Old 05-05-2003, 05:20 PM

Tatsuo

lol...Thanks..I'm a wicked anime freak...But you still haven't answered my question...Isn't it spelled "Tetsuo" ? lol
Old 05-05-2003, 05:21 PM

OOps

Nevermind my last post...I didn't even see that last one you posted...lol..
Old 05-05-2003, 10:37 PM

It's all good
Old 05-06-2003, 12:24 AM
Contributing Member

That thread sure went off topic in a hurry......... If you have the 3.0 V6 in your truck you can do this mod exactly how the write up states. I am not familiar with the 4banger enough to say whether or not it'll work with that. My question for the techies is would wrapping the intake to keep it cooler even be worth the effort on a 3.slow? The one I am having built is fiberglass which I am hoping will be a crappy heat conductor.
Old 05-06-2003, 04:40 AM

Sorry about that guys

Yeah...I'm sorry..I just saw his name and had to comment on it...Didn't mean to mess up the post....
Old 05-06-2003, 06:19 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by UKMyers
That thread sure went off topic in a hurry......... If you have the 3.0 V6 in your truck you can do this mod exactly how the write up states. I am not familiar with the 4banger enough to say whether or not it'll work with that. My question for the techies is would wrapping the intake to keep it cooler even be worth the effort on a 3.slow? The one I am having built is fiberglass which I am hoping will be a crappy heat conductor.
SCC did some extensive testing on different types of intake piping and how they conducted heat. They found the only significant difference to be between a CAI and a Open filter in the engine compartment. The piping made no difference because the velocity of the air inside it.

I would say no to answer your question. Color, Material, etc does not make enough of a difference on your intake piping to be worth the time or money.
Old 05-06-2003, 07:05 AM
Contributing Member

96Runner thanks you confirmed my suspicions.
Old 05-06-2003, 07:16 AM
Contributing Member

No problem. I have also tried many different types of material on various vehicles, and nothing made much of a difference. Header wrap, plastic, metal, even Reynolds Foil Wrap (yes, I will admit it). The biggest difference ever felt was on my 95 SI when I went to an AEM CAI, and that piping was ceramic coated.

So, the best bet is to modify where the air is ingested.

Just thought I might add that...

later!
Old 05-06-2003, 10:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The air does travel fast through the intake, but wouldn't the pipe become heated after a long period of driving and heat the air going in? Or does the air travel too fast for it to make a difference no matter how hot the tube gets?
Old 05-06-2003, 10:10 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Churnd
The air does travel fast through the intake, but wouldn't the pipe become heated after a long period of driving and heat the air going in? Or does the air travel too fast for it to make a difference no matter how hot the tube gets?
Well according to SCC, the air travels fast enough. I will try and dig up that issue, I think I have it somewhere.

Figure it this way, it may make a slight difference as to what type of material your intake is, but not enough to register on the dyno. So, I would conclude that its not worth the hassle, unless it looks a lot better or something.
Old 05-06-2003, 03:58 PM

I thought about doing the intake mod on my 3.0, but once I got all the piping and boxes off, and was looking inside, the air already has a clean shot to the throttle body. I could not see what was to be gained from modifing the parts so the silencers are removed. I could understand if it was baffeled or restricted. Now I know that the boxes will help to quiet the intake sound, but do they reduce the air velocity or volume that runs through? Seems that they would resonate at certain frequencies and those might be 180 degrees out of phase with the frequencies within the intake tubeing and cancel them out. These frequencies might be only 1 or 2 of many, many frequencies, so the overall effect is that 2 frequencies are canceled while all the others, and thus the over all flow, is unaltered. Anybody have ideas on this? Like I said, I was about to modify mine, but just could not "see" what differences could be made, so I just put it all back.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: intake mod