Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Installing air conditioning in 2nd gen without AC?

Old 08-16-2004, 08:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing air conditioning in 2nd gen without AC?

Ok, so I'm a lousy parent. I hunted around for months to find a 2nd gen 4Runner that had everything I wanted; namely, nothing. Power steering and power brakes are the only big conveniences on it. The fact that I even found one with no airconditioning I thought was a big score.
Enter the fact that I have a one year old son and I live in western Colorado where temps in the high 90's are quite normal. Personally, I love it. The hotter the better. I spent 15 summers working roofing and where all the other guys would leave the windows on their trucks rolled down, I left mine up. I love that sauna feeling of getting into a boiling hot truck
Clearly this doesn't work for a one year old and as much as I hate it, I need air conditioning. So, what is the best way to go? This truck never had ac so there is nothing there at all except for whatever Toyota found it easier to stick on all the trucks as part of mass production.
Would I be better off finding an r134 Runner and take everything off of it or get some sort of aftermarket set up? Heck, I'd even consider getting a whopping big alternator and buying some sort of plug-in set up that I could put in the back of the 4Runner to keep him cool if such a thing exists.
Any opines would be appreciated.
Old 08-16-2004, 09:50 AM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
The kits for the 84-89s were all sold and gone from Toyota now, I believe. So you're stuck with pulling all the parts from a wrecking yard, or an aftermarket universal system - the kind that has a console you just hang under the dash would work if you can squeeze the evap unit there. (like the UN-101 unit shown here: http://www.affordablestreetrods.com/...nditioning.htm ) You could get ahold some of the street rod kit suppliers, (Vintage Air, Hot Rod Air etc) they can probably set up up.

I would think the junkyard route would be the best way to go, but pulling the needed parts will be a beehatch. You'll need the dash switch setup and fan motor too, as these are different (higher capacity blower and a 4 speed switch) plus various pieces like a part of the harness for the resitor pack, the resisitor pack itself, then the evaporator, condenser, dryer (you'll need a new dryer when you charge it but using the old one for setting up the install is handy,) hoses, compressor, brackets etc. If you go this route - see if you're local friendly dealer mechanic can set you up with the installation instructions for the dealer install kit - then you'll exactly how its installed so you can make sure and get all the parts...

Last edited by Flamedx4; 08-16-2004 at 09:52 AM.
Old 08-16-2004, 12:25 PM
Contributing Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I just installed a kit from ackits.com. In my case it was cheaper than screwing around with used stuff.
Old 08-16-2004, 03:07 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how much does it cost to put all that in? i got no a/c either and it sucks in eastern washington when it gets 100+
Old 08-16-2004, 03:17 PM

No kiddin! Tri Cities is HOT in summer, and cold and damp in winter (I've been throught that fog many times...) The AC makes the defroster work so much better its worth having even if only for that.
Old 08-16-2004, 03:48 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
see, i bought my truck with the mind set that im gone every summer and only drive in the winter, but i came home early this summer and not have a/c is killing me! i usually drive with the windows down anyways but ya know! a buddy of mine and i were talking about putting a/c in my truck and how much it would cost but neither of us knew the answers.
Old 08-16-2004, 04:17 PM

I was running down I-84 through Pendleton and WOW it was;
1) Muggy
2) Hot ... I am Mississippi hot or Floridia pre t-storm hot.

R134a coolant doesn't seem to do the job like the old R12. Man oh man, do I miss R12.
Old 08-16-2004, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Flamedx4
The kits for the 84-89s were all sold and gone from Toyota now, I believe. So you're stuck with pulling all the parts from a wrecking yard, or an aftermarket universal system - the kind that has a console you just hang under the dash would work if you can squeeze the evap unit there. (like the UN-101 unit shown here: http://www.affordablestreetrods.com/...nditioning.htm ) You could get ahold some of the street rod kit suppliers, (Vintage Air, Hot Rod Air etc) they can probably set up up.

I would think the junkyard route would be the best way to go, but pulling the needed parts will be a beehatch. You'll need the dash switch setup and fan motor too, as these are different (higher capacity blower and a 4 speed switch) plus various pieces like a part of the harness for the resitor pack, the resisitor pack itself, then the evaporator, condenser, dryer (you'll need a new dryer when you charge it but using the old one for setting up the install is handy,) hoses, compressor, brackets etc. If you go this route - see if you're local friendly dealer mechanic can set you up with the installation instructions for the dealer install kit - then you'll exactly how its installed so you can make sure and get all the parts...

Thanks for the great info!
Of course, the really hard part is finding a dead 4Runner to get the parts out of. Out here in western Colorado any 4x4 Toyota that hits the junkyard seems to depart in the blink of an eye. The only exception I have seen in a while is a second gen 4Runner sitting at a local junkyard. Having been on fire seems to have kept most interested parties away. I need to stop there some day to see what diffs it has. I'd like to put some 4.88s in mine even just bone stock ones. I did notice the other day they had the butt up in the air so the rear could be gone already.
That kit at ackits.com looks interesting, although not junkyard cheap and apparently doesn't include the stronger fan motor and possibly other bits.
Looks like maybe Ben might have to settle for a fan and a wet washcloth Naw, not even a bozo like me could do that. I may have to admit I screwed up and either throw $$ at it or maybe just go get a different 4Runner. After all that searching, I just can't make myself like this truck. Then again, I probably wouldn't like the next one either as long as I still have my '85 to drive around
Duh! I just realized my '85 has AC. I got rid of the compressor and hoses years ago when the LCEngineering motor was put in, but everything else is still there. Any ideas of if the hardware from the '85 would work in a '93? All it would leave for me to get would be the hoses, compressor, some bolts and brackets. Heck, maybe I'll even just put the '85 back together and if I really need ac, I'll put up with having to climb in the back to get him in his carseat.
Here I sit with 2 4Runners and apparently what I need is a car

Last edited by Fahrenheit 451; 08-16-2004 at 07:01 PM.
Old 08-17-2004, 12:28 PM

LOL, I feel your pain. What I see under my 90 hood doesn't *seem* to look like what I remember seeing in the 85, but without being able to put em side by side who knows? I bet the evap core is different, but again, whos to say?

I never used to use a/c, but as I get older I sure do. On hot days when I drive the convertible (71 Cougar, mint original) I even tend to put the top up and use the a/c. Too hot in the sun with the top down.
Old 08-18-2004, 01:29 PM

Thought I saw a complete AC system for sale down in the Classifieds. Just a heads up.. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38796