Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Installed-Raingler Rear Cargo Barrier

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2005, 03:53 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Installed-Raingler Rear Cargo Barrier

After the recent addition to our family, I was looking for a cargo barrier that would keep all the junk that I pile in the back from coming forward in case of having to slam on the brakes or being in an accident. Milford makes sturdy barriers, but not for a 4Runner. I was looking for something a lot sturdier than any run of the mill dog barrier.

On an Xterra page I came across a company called Raingler that makes all kinds of cargo netting, but again not for a 3rd gen 4Runner. But, I e-mailed them anyway. I got a quick response that said they didn't have anything made for my application, but if I took measurements that maybe one of the other applications would work. So after a couple of phone calls to Raingler (spoke with Eddie Cline) we determined that one from a Land Rover Defender 90 would fit perfectly. I would need to make a couple of mounting points but it was no big deal. So, I ordered the net:

http://www.raingler.com/shop/product...?productID=156

and some Footman Loops:

http://www.raingler.com/shop/product...?productID=217

The netting using six straps to tighten it down. The Footman Loops come in handy for tie down points. I installed two of the footman loops near the roof by screwing them through the plastic and into the metal behind. For the bottom strap mounts I used the loops that the rear seat locks into and for the middle mounts I removed the plastic bracket that is used for the factory cargo cover and discovered that the 2 screw holes it uses were exactly the right spacing to install Footman Loops!

The fit is perfect (especially since I have a rear cargo box) and I am very pleased, so here are the pics (someone posted for me over on IH8MUD):

http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=63328

You will need to scroll about half way down.

Enjoy!
Old 11-26-2005, 04:24 PM
lee
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that looks great man!
Old 11-27-2005, 11:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Dragr1,

Looks nice.

The owner of Raingler posted hear a couple of years ago in the vendor section.
He was looking for someone on the forum to take measurements of there 3rd gen cargo area so that he could make a rear cargo netting for our rigs. He was willing to send the product to the person who volunteered to test and take photos of it installed.

I e-mailed him on it but we lost contact.

You should send him pics of your setup. Maybe he could figure out a way to make it a complete bolt-on rather than having to drill into upper pilars.

If by chance can you take a close shot of the upper pilar mod you did?

I've been at his site several times and having been thinking about getting the netting for the floor cargo http://www.raingler.com/shop/product...?productID=148

Anywho again that looks great.

Mike
Old 11-28-2005, 04:22 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by smr4runner
Hey Dragr1,

Looks nice.

The owner of Raingler posted hear a couple of years ago in the vendor section.
He was looking for someone on the forum to take measurements of there 3rd gen cargo area so that he could make a rear cargo netting for our rigs. He was willing to send the product to the person who volunteered to test and take photos of it installed.

I e-mailed him on it but we lost contact.

You should send him pics of your setup. Maybe he could figure out a way to make it a complete bolt-on rather than having to drill into upper pilars.

If by chance can you take a close shot of the upper pilar mod you did?

I've been at his site several times and having been thinking about getting the netting for the floor cargo http://www.raingler.com/shop/product...?productID=148

Anywho again that looks great.

Mike
I can take a pic of the upper pillar, but basically it's just 2 screws holding on the footman loop. They are screwed into the metal behind the plastic. I have sent him some pics and I' going to send him some more with a higher resolution camera. I don't think there is any other way to mount the top portion b/c there is nothing to tie into near the roof w/o doing what I did.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Milford makes a gen2 4Runner barrier.
It "fits" in a Gen1