Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Installed OME 3" lift but still have rake...HELP

Old 09-29-2010, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installed OME 3" lift but still have rake...HELP

Ok, so after a ton of searching I decided to install the OME 3" lift with 881s in front and 890s in the rear. I also did the top plates in the front assuming that it would level it out. HOWEVER, I still def. have a noticeable rake in the front. I don't have pics yet but I will post later.

Oh, I also did do the diff. drop, so no worries there as far as wear and tear on the CV axles.

I do have stock shocks all the way around but is that really the only cause for the rake? The shocks are all in great condition so any help would be great!!! No additional weight in the front either...
Old 09-29-2010, 11:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did the same spring with the TO spacer and my trucks sits pretty level, maybe a hair taller in the rear which is fine.

I am not sure, but the OME front struts may have the spring perch sit higher than a factory strut hence the height difference. I was told countless times that OME springs and struts are made to work together.

Post some pics and let us take a looks see.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:11 AM

Yeah, I was told OME stuff works best with OME stuff but I was told by the dealer, Toytec, that there wouldn't be any leveling issues with the additional top plate. They said it would sit level. I know it isn't an issue with function but I really wanted it to sit level. I am at work but I will post pics when I get home.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:12 AM

You prob should install the OME shocks. I have the same set up and I'm level. ToyTec even states to use the OME shocks with the lift:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/d...w-pics-213517/
Old 09-29-2010, 01:22 PM

Ideally, I agree. I would like to install the OME shocks but that isn't a monetary option right now. HOWEVER, even if the stock shocks aren't the best, I still feel like there is something else going on to cause so much rake. Unloaded, on level ground, the springs should be doing the majority of the "lifting" right? I.E. Even if the shocks aren't the best, shouldn't it still be level???
Old 09-29-2010, 03:29 PM

You may have the top plate installed wrong. Need pics
Old 09-29-2010, 03:36 PM

Here are some pics...
Attached Thumbnails Installed OME 3" lift but still have rake...HELP-img_9154.jpg   Installed OME 3" lift but still have rake...HELP-img_9155.jpg   Installed OME 3" lift but still have rake...HELP-img_9157.jpg  
Old 09-29-2010, 03:45 PM

The back will settle down a little. Throw some tools in there or something. Mine took a couple months, and a trip to the trails to get settled pretty good.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:54 PM

See, I thought it would settle too but these pics were taken 1 month after install AND after a 2400 mile trip from Colorado to Washington State and back with over 500 lbs in the rear the whole time!!! To be honest, it was probably closer to 750 lbs...
Old 09-29-2010, 04:53 PM

bump for help
Old 09-29-2010, 06:27 PM

Some 4runners (my 98 does) have the extra bump stops in the rear coil...you could take those out to help the rear sit lower, if you have them. I hope that helps...
Old 09-30-2010, 08:43 AM

To be honest, I am not sure if mine has the extra bump stops....I was thinking that by the looks of it, it seems that the front is lower compared to other guys OME 3" lifts...I have some pics on their way to Toytec so I guess we will see what they say.

Oh, and Dylan at Toytec agreed, while sitting, the springs should do all the work the even if the shocks were going, you shouldn't be able to tell when the vehicle is standing.
Old 09-30-2010, 03:30 PM

UPDATE!:!:! I heard back from Dylan at Toytec and he said everything looks like it is installed just fine That means there is something out of whack here!!! He said they don't see this and he isn't sure what is going on. He is being helpful for sure but is at a loss as well. Is there a ARB rep on here or a OME rep?!?!?

Can someone help me out please!?!?!?
Old 09-30-2010, 05:29 PM

Do you have the stock cones installed in the rear coils or no? They should be left in and that's a .5" difference right there.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by brian2sun
Do you have the stock cones installed in the rear coils or no? They should be left in and that's a .5" difference right there.
I do have the stock bump stops in the rear installed. The problem is the FRONT is lower than the BACK...

I know its not huge to some people but it is driving me crazy that I paid to have it level and its not
Old 09-30-2010, 07:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I guess I'm not reading it all correctly. Rake to me means the back end is sitting higher than the front. But your original post reads "...still def. have noticeable rake in the front"

Yet later you refer to it as the rear higher than the front-post #15. I'm not seeing rake in the picture. Is that a level driveway? You sure? Have you compared on other flat surfaces?

Many of us are running the 890s, so presuming you have the stinkbug look-with the back end a bit higher than the front. You don't like that so let's figure it out.

We've seen pics of the front end, so now lets see the rears. It's my guess that the rear springs are not positioned correctly in the indent.You know how the coil matches up to that groove on the bottom side? Is it slid all the way over with no gap?

We'll get it figured out. Let's see the upside down cones and the bump stops. The more pics the better. Let's hear some measurements too. Ground to bottom of the flare, both sides front and rear. And center of the hub to bottom of the flare both sides front and rear.

Any chance the Old Man Emu springs are not truly 890s? Were they in original packaging? Even so I am taking a wild guess that they are 891s in 890 packaging. Any tags on them when installed?

How is it riding? It looks great. Feel free to stay in touch with me and we'll chase it down. Bring it by if you like and we'll figure it out.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by mswenso1
I do have the stock bump stops in the rear installed. The problem is the FRONT is lower than the BACK...

I know its not huge to some people but it is driving me crazy that I paid to have it level and its not
I'm thinking that the stock shocks would limit the travel of the axle to the point where it wouldn't touch the cone (aka bump stop) on the opposite side anyways. So in other words, you can take the cones out and loose .5" in the rear.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:08 PM

You may want to consider keeping the rake though because it is an advantage off road. The back can be lifted higher than the front on our trucks and that gives you a better departure angle. It comes in handy for steep hills, but I also think it looks good if it's a moderate rake.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by 85 PICKUP
I did the same spring with the TO spacer and my trucks sits pretty level, maybe a hair taller in the rear which is fine.

I am not sure, but the OME front struts may have the spring perch sit higher than a factory strut hence the height difference. I was told countless times that OME springs and struts are made to work together.

Post some pics and let us take a looks see.
I am inclined to think that 85 PICKUP has it right. I don't know about the OME shocks for sure either but I have bilstein shocks on my rig and the spring perch on the bilsteins does sit higher than on the stock shock. So with my bilsteins and stock springs, I do have a slight amount of lift in the front due to the difference in spring perch height.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:18 AM

I bet if you installed OME shocks it will be problem solved. Prob why they suggest it on their website...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Installed OME 3" lift but still have rake...HELP