Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Installed New radiator.. Have questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 10:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installed New radiator.. Have questions

Truck is a: 96 Toyota 4Runner Sr5 V6 4WD

I had several cracks along the top of my radiator. So I thought after watching some google videos I could pull this off myself. Everything was going good until I pulled off the two smaller hoses along the bottom. Now out came something unexpected, Im guessing its transmission fluid??!!

After putting in the new one, I checked the tranny dipstick and it was at the normal cool level.

So my questions are: Is this transmission fluid? If I start the truck is it going to drain into these empty hoses then all I need to do is add more until the dipstick is back at the cool level?

Im pretty much a noob at anything automotive so tell me if im about to ruin my tranny.

if this is tranny fluid. What are the general rules about tranny fluid replacement.

Thanks soooo much for any help given. If I dont botch this too much I think I may have caught the bug and look into other things I can do myself. Albeit I wont try to be a hero and just get by with google videos!! Ill get a shop manual for this truck.

Thanks-

~Chris
Old 11-12-2009, 10:42 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
yes the tranny cooler is part of the rad horrible idea if u ask me cause if it leaks its gonna be expensive
Old 11-14-2009, 09:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gnarls u and your worthless opinions* lol * .Is that the way my 90 is set up to or is this a bad design thats limited to the 96?

Last edited by Matt90V6SR5; 11-14-2009 at 09:22 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 05:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is the new rad a stock replacement? The OEM rad has a tranny cooler built into it, so if you are not using a rad that is specific to your vehicle you will need to get an external tranny cooler (which is prob a good idea anyway) and I would suggest getting the A/T powerflushed after you finish the install. It may not be necessary but is cheap insurance and will give you peace of mind.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nvrsummer2
Truck is a: 96 Toyota 4Runner Sr5 V6 4WD

I had several cracks along the top of my radiator. So I thought after watching some google videos I could pull this off myself. Everything was going good until I pulled off the two smaller hoses along the bottom. Now out came something unexpected, Im guessing its transmission fluid??!!

After putting in the new one, I checked the tranny dipstick and it was at the normal cool level.

So my questions are: Is this transmission fluid? If I start the truck is it going to drain into these empty hoses then all I need to do is add more until the dipstick is back at the cool level?

Im pretty much a noob at anything automotive so tell me if im about to ruin my tranny.

if this is tranny fluid. What are the general rules about tranny fluid replacement.

Thanks soooo much for any help given. If I dont botch this too much I think I may have caught the bug and look into other things I can do myself. Albeit I wont try to be a hero and just get by with google videos!! Ill get a shop manual for this truck.

Thanks-

~Chris
You said, it is in normal cool level. So I don't think you need to worry too much about it.

Since it sounds like you already put the new rad in, put those tranny oil hoses into that new rad cooler lines. and securely tighten the hose. (I believe you have the correct replacement rad for your 96 4r. Right?).

Then, as others said, just warm up the vehicle to the normal temp and check tranny fluid again. If it needs more, add more through dip stick hole.

Drive vehicle moderately in your neighborhood area (don't go to highway yet).

Come back and check the level again. If it is good, then, it is good. If you need more add more...

Check if any coolant or oil leakage...