Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Installed my Downey HD's this weekend.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2003, 07:32 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Installed my Downey HD's this weekend.....

I put my Downey HD coils in this weekend. It took way to long because one nut on one of my shocks was rusted on. That took an hour in itself to get one nut off (that included using air tools). Then I had to go and get some flare nut wrenches. That ended up being a waste of time because the brake line nut stripped anyways . Yes, I was turning the wrench the right way. So I guess I have to go to Toyota and order a new hard line before I can put on the extended brake line. Oh well, I can still drive it.

The coils were suprisingly easy to get in. We jacked up the opposite side of the axle which made things flex much easier. Once we unbolted the sway bar, someone stood on the drum and another person turned the coils while putting them in. They went right in without hitch.

I used Downey's instructions and UKMyers' write-up. Could have gone a little smoother but I'm not complaining.

Here's my initial review. These coils are great! My truck looks and rides so much better now. I didn't realize how poorly my truck rode until I put the coils in. I can't wait to load up a trailer and not see my truck squat.

After doing the install, I found myself doing a little offroading and ended up driving through a river. It was only 1.5-2 ft deep so I wasn't too worried. I wasn't in the water too long but decided to check my rear diff fluid because my breather is right on top of my pumkin. I guess the extended breather diff mod is next in line.

Well, that's it. Sorry there isn't any pics. I got my bug deflector this weekend. Once I put that on and go home again, I will take some pics.

Later

Old 05-27-2003, 08:05 PM
Contributing Member

How much lift did you actually get out of it?
Old 05-27-2003, 08:20 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by tomus1000
How much lift did you actually get out of it?
That's a good question. I kinda forget to measure before I started taking stuff apart. I was ready to get started and it just slipped my mind. I'm guessing I probably got about 2" out of it, maybe a little more.
Old 05-27-2003, 10:55 PM
Contributing Member

Congrats on the new coils. I just installed mine last Friday. I had the same problem with the brake line you did. I sprayed everything with PB Blaster the night before, but missed the top brake line fitting. I rounded the nut when I tried to loosen it. I sprayed it with PB and used a flare nut wrench (same as lineman's wrench?) to remove it. I don't know if it was the blaster or the wrench, but it sure came off easy after that.

I started out with 12" of clearance from top of rim to bottom of wheel well, and measured 14" when I finished. Did you crank up the torsion bars in front to level things out? I wasn't going to but the more I look at it, the more convinced I get that it needs to be done.

I'm headed back to the shop tomorrow to replace front spindle bearings and I'll do the torsion bars then. If you cranked your t-bars, how far did you go?
Old 05-28-2003, 08:49 AM
Contributing Member

I too noticed that my back end looked slightly higher than the front. I haven't cranked the t-bars. I'm not sure how much room I have left to crank. I've read that you aren't supposed to go over 14.5" with the ADD hubs. Since I don't have the ADD hubs, I'm kind of reluctant about cranking on the t-bars.

I used WD-40 when doing the install. After I order the new line, I will try the PB Blaster. I'm sure I will completely destroy the old nut trying to get it off, but oh well.

Old 05-28-2003, 06:39 PM
Contributing Member

If you have manual hubs, you can actually go a little higher with the torsion bars. From what I've read, you should stop at 14.5" with ADD, but can go to 14.75" or 15" with manual hubs. The increased CV angle is the problem. With manual hubs, it's not such a big deal, since the front axles only turn when you lock in the hubs.

I'm ordering a set from the Toyota Parts Dude here on Yotatech. He's sending a pair of Aisins for $50 plus $12 shipping.
Old 05-28-2003, 07:48 PM

15" would level me out but I'm at 14.75. The ride is much smoother now with the Downey HD. Make sure you get an alignment once you've cranked up the torsion bars.
Old 05-28-2003, 07:57 PM

Coils

OK guys you have convinced me - even my wife says to get something to fix that sag (at least I think she was talking about the 4Runner)
I've seen enough to say the Downey HD are the ones for me - has anyone had both these and then change to the OMEs?
Old 05-28-2003, 08:03 PM

FYI I got mine from Mike at Xtreme Offroad. I believe the OME's get very favorable reviews from their users. There are a lot of us who have the Downey HD's and are happy with them. Try to find a few different OME users.