Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Input on 3rz?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Input on 3rz?

New to this forum section...just traded my 91 reg cab 4x4 3vz 5 spd with 4" lift and 33's for a 96 ext. cab tacoma 4x4 4cyl. 5spd.....whats this engines reputation? Gas mileage? How will it perform with a lift and 33's?
Old 09-21-2008, 04:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Its a great engine. I enjoy mine in my 4runner and its a heavy pig. I would suggest gears while you upgrade to 33's. I am running 33's and 4.56's it does the job on the highway, but 4.88's would be a tad nicer (not worth the jump though).

I would suggest if you want to lift go with a 33x10.5 size tire.

I get 20-22mpg with my 4runner. The things that go wrong with this engine are, cracked exhaust manifold, and rear main seal can leak (mine is very slowly, I am gonna let it leak until my clutch goes out).
Old 09-21-2008, 05:19 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
It has about as much stock HP as your old 3vz, maybe even 5 0r ten more depending on how worn out the 3vz was.

The 3rz is a pretty nice motor, longevity wise i think someone on here not too long ago purchased a 96 runner with 300k miles.
With care it should go alot longer then that.

Performance wise, simply regear with the 33's and you should be ok, the lift will obviously make you a bit less areodynamic..but im sure you'll learn to live with that
Old 09-21-2008, 08:23 PM

Don't have much experience with it yet- I've had my 2000 4runner 5 spd 3RZ only about 6 weeks - but so far I am pleased. It feels as if it has similar power to my old 22RE powered 88 4runner, but a LOT more torque- not near as much need to downshift on hills.

It is worth noting that Toyota is still offering this engine - albeit with an upgraded VVTI head - in current vehicles, while the 3.4L V6 (admittedly also a good motor) has been discontinued.

I've read that this is a very durable and reliable powerplant, and a worthy successor to the 22RE, capable of 300k miles or more with good maintenance. I hope this is the case with mine, barely broken in at 92k.

Currently looking at the LCE header for this engine...
Old 09-21-2008, 08:40 PM
Contributing Member

really, really great motor, that has actually been for sale longer than the 22re at this point. I love the re in my 85, it runs great but if it ever dies i'm putting a 3rz in. Actually, most vehicles would be better with a 3rz.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:08 PM

Exhuast manifold cracking is the only problem, and ive owned 2 cars with this motor.

It has a nice powerband, responds pretty well to mods, and im my experience is indestructible. I rolled one (in a 4runner) at 45MPH a couple times, and my current one (a Taco) was running on 2 quarts of jellied oil for who knows how long when i bought it because the PO didnt know how to change it... and both of them still purr like new!

I have heard they are prone to sludge build up if neglected though, but anyone taking the time to research a motor should know how to take car of one
Old 09-21-2008, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by NwRunner
...this motor...responds pretty well to mods...
Suggest me some, please!
Old 09-21-2008, 11:03 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
so is the 3rz still in the tacos ?
id like a new single cab taco with one if so.
but you guys arent santa so who am i kidding
Old 09-22-2008, 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by scuba
so is the 3rz still in the tacos ?
id like a new single cab taco with one if so.
but you guys arent santa so who am i kidding
Its the 2tr, which is like said above it is basically a 3rz with vvti.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:01 AM

Thanks Guys...It does have an exhaust leak, but when I put my hand in there, I could feel it puffing around the connection to the down pipe. So maybe its the donut gasket in there.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:17 PM

i love mine

and its really isn't far off from my friends 3.4L
Old 09-22-2008, 06:56 PM

I have 143k on mine and she is still purring like a kitten.

I had a cracked valve cover and had to replace it...in doing so I was able to check out all the cam shafts and everything was a nice beautiful bronze color. She is running mighty fine...no rear main seal leak yet...which I don't think these 3rzs are prone for...but did have a bad manifold. An easy fix though if you know your way around a garage.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by Skrillah
I had a cracked valve cover and had to replace it...
Yeah, but its a 2rz valve cover....
Old 09-23-2008, 05:56 PM

just watch this video and need i say more the 3rz i a hiddeb power house many just dony relize it. some up to 1800hp.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:19 PM

I have heard they are prone to sludge build up if neglected though, but anyone taking the time to research a motor should know how to take car of one
Are you referring to info I passed on after you requested help with your 3RZ issues, and my request to you for more details about your Seafoam treatment? The question that you apparently couldn't be bothered to respond to?

If so, real cool attitude pal. Also demonstrates a poor understanding of logic- people research things to learn more about them when they lack knowledge. I lack mechanical knowledge so I ask questions. When people ask me questions about matters on which I am knowledgeable, I'm generally patient with responding, especially if they demonstrate some efforts in trying to learn on their own.

I've searched quite a bit on different boards about the 3RZ before asking questions- there is not much info available aside from highly modded motors over on customtacos, not applicable to me. Looks like you are type of guy who has no problem asking for help here, but little time to respond to others.

...responds pretty well to mods...
Asked you about this too but got no response. To reiterate, I've done plenty of searching and found very little regarding mods to this motor, and most of what I found was contradictory, which is why I asked. But don't worry, after this I won't waste my time with you anymore.

I rolled one (in a 4runner) at 45MPH a couple times, and my current one (a Taco)...
I guess you learned the hard way that 4runners are tippier than cars and potentially could roll in the hands of an inexperienced driver. Maybe the Taco will be better suited to your driving skills...
Old 09-23-2008, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by crolison
Yeah, but its a 2rz valve cover....
This is true...I should have mentioned...this fine gentleman was kind enough to get me one for 100 dollars less than what the dealer wanted for the part....!!! I should mention...still leak free!!

Tell me about your rear main seal leak...? Thats odd on these engines...or so I thought....
Old 09-23-2008, 08:42 PM

Well riverrat, im sorry you are so offended that i could not respond to you as fast as you had liked. I work fulltime and attend school during the nights, your frustration is rather petty.

When i said the 3RZ responds well to mods i meant cheap DIY mods like intake, header, exhuast. Those are the 3 basics when it comes to import motors. More out of the ordinary things like heat wrapping, throttle body spacing, and upgraded cams also improve performance. But after Intake, Header, Exhuast it becomes rather pricey if you lack the mechanical knowledge to tear into your engine.

I have noticed that on both my Taco and 4runner, the injectors started getting clogged around 120,000 miles (i run mid grade). That is usually the first culprit for a rough idle, after basic matinence of course.

And my driving skills are none of your business. In the future, if you have a problem with someone, take it up with them personally, like i would expect someone to do in day to day life. Or play internet tough guy, your choice.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:17 PM

...I have heard they are prone to sludge build up if neglected though, but anyone taking the time to research a motor should know how to take car of one
NW, this seemed aimed at me, given that I mentioned the oil buildup issue to you in another thread, then asked you how you went about the Seafoam treatment. It sounded to me like you were basically saying "figure it out yourself" which I did not appreciate.

But if I misconstrued this, my apologies.

In any case, thank you for sharing your 3RZ knowledge, it is helpful. Good luck with school, sounds like you are a busy guy.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by Skrillah
This is true...I should have mentioned...this fine gentleman was kind enough to get me one for 100 dollars less than what the dealer wanted for the part....!!! I should mention...still leak free!!

Tell me about your rear main seal leak...? Thats odd on these engines...or so I thought....
Well it leaks very slowly, and I know a few local 3rz's that have done this. Not a big deal, it may leak a 1/4 (or less) of a quart in 5000miles. Basically the outside of my tranny and steering rack are covered in light film of oil. So it can definitely wait for the clutch to go out.

Now I am just waiting for marlin to have 2.7 crawlers in
Old 09-24-2008, 01:58 PM

Riverrat, basically what i heard here was one of my buddys with a 95 Taco had some crazy amount of sludge buildup in his because of lack of oil changes. So basically, if you neglect basic matinence, the engine will get gummed up and preform poorly

Quick Reply: Input on 3rz?