Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Inner CV boots have a small leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2005, 09:46 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Inner CV boots have a small leak

When I changed my oil, I noticed that my inner CV boots have a very small leak between the boot and axle. Since the leak is small, will I be ok just changing the clamp?

I did a quick search and only found "torn CV boot" questions.
Old 01-08-2005, 01:35 PM

I'd check at NAPA for the right size clamps and go that route first. But go ahead and replace them before it's too late.
You'll have to cut the old clamps off. To make things much easier, buy new clamps that will fit around the boot/axle shaft without having to remove the axles.
Old 01-08-2005, 04:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can also head to Home Depot/Lowe's and pick up some hose clamps. You can get 'em nice and tight a lot easier than the standard crimp style clamps.
Old 01-09-2005, 08:05 AM
Contributing Member

Be careful with the hose clamps, since some have experienced the "holes" in the hose clamp cutting the CV boot (just like they cut into a hose when tightened too tightly. A safer alternative is using zip ties and tightening them by pulling on the tab with a pair of pliers to get it nice and tight. I put zip ties near/on top of the OEM clamps.
Old 01-09-2005, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Mad Chemist
Be careful with the hose clamps, since some have experienced the "holes" in the hose clamp cutting the CV boot (just like they cut into a hose when tightened too tightly. A safer alternative is using zip ties and tightening them by pulling on the tab with a pair of pliers to get it nice and tight. I put zip ties near/on top of the OEM clamps.
Good thinkin!!
Old 01-09-2005, 08:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mad Chemist
Understood, but... I've got ZipTies on one of my boots and had two issues - a) the head of the tie was hitting the lower arm causing it to slip and pull; b) smeared grease on the outside of the boot caused the tie to slip out of the ridges as I tightened it.

"b" is easily taken care of with a good degreaser bath before putting the tie on. But i didn't notice it until after it had been popped off "for a while". oops.
Old 01-10-2005, 05:25 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the info guys! The thing that makes me upset is the the dealer replaced all my CV boots because they said that the inner boots were leaking.. This was a few months after I bought it, so its out of their warranty.

Anyways, I will check with some parts stores and see what options they have.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:15 PM
Contributing Member

Dealer response to leaking inner boot

I just lifted my 3rd gen and noticed some leakage on both my inner boots. I called my dealer service buddy and he said you don't have to worry about minor leakage. When I asked him if I should attach a hose clamp, it said that wouldn't be a bad idea, but now that I see the zip tie suggestion, it sounds alot better...

Cameron
Old 06-27-2005, 12:49 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Yobroe
I called my dealer service buddy and he said you don't have to worry about minor leakage.
If grease is getting out, water is getting in. The joints are designed to operate in a sealed environment. It's nice that they didn't overstate the problem and make it sound like you needed a new half-shaft, but at the same time, telling you to run around with an open boot is not doing you any favors either.