Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Injectors cleaned for $19.95 ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 11:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Injectors cleaned for $19.95 ?

OK, first let me ask that this thread not be turned into a "bash" WalMart thing and end up way off topic!
My wife's 1999 Forester has 77,000 miles on it and runs and looks like new. Or at least we thought it ran like new,Lol. She was due for an oil change and tires rotated and she was going to do some shopping at Wal mart so I suggested she get it done there. The guy at the counter said they could clean the fuel injection for $19.95 as they were running a special and it was normally $56.00. So she told them to go ahead and do it. Her Subaru Forester runs so much better it's like night and day. It will actually snap your neck back on take off and it's so quick and smooth running it's unreal.What ever they did it was great! Yes, I did run cleaner through it all the time and it ran great but not like this!
Now I'm thinking of taking my 01 , 2.7, 92,000 mile Tacoma there and let them clean my injectors for for that price. Does cleaning the injectors by pulling them make that much difference then just using Sea foam or tech-Tron in the gas tank? Mike
Old 08-19-2007, 12:21 PM

They are not pulling them off the car for that price, what they may be doing is hooking a line to the schrader valce pressure tap and then hooking up a can of concentrated cleaner. Some do it by pulling the pump fuse so it runs off the can and some may just let it run both. Either way this cleans better than puttin git in the tank.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:29 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sounds like seafoam to me...
Old 08-19-2007, 12:45 PM

It's hard to believe that they would charge $56.00 to run a container of Sea foam through the hose. I could be wrong, not the first time. Mike
Old 08-19-2007, 02:06 PM

it is some other cleaner sea foam is not that great of a cleaner dose seem to smooth out idle ect and it may loosen up carbon build up I have poured it on the inside if a intake and the inside of a valve cover and let it sit for a hour and it did absolutely nothing did not breakup the varnish on either thing.

what ever they used at wall mart must have been a stronger product that sea foam.

now dom't get me wrong I have seen sea foam correct O2 sensor problems on a Mazda bmw and a Audi as for my truck I have noticed NO real gain and I have run it in the oil for 2000 miles have run a few cans in the tank and have run it through the TB and brake booster line

the only product I did notice was from here http://www.berrymanproducts.com/Default.aspx?tabid=169
the one I used was a fuel additive that was supposed to clean the injectors
on their web site the have a injector cleaning kit and that is most likely what walmart has of some sort.

if you read what is in chem tool it is for the most part acetone at least the fuel additive that is.
Old 08-19-2007, 06:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For $56 or $19 they did NOT do the same thing as a RC Engineering ultrasonic clean...

But it sounds like in your case you got your money's worth
Old 08-19-2007, 06:47 PM

well if that price is nation wide i might just stop by walmart and see what it would do for me.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by PoleVaulter95
well if that price is nation wide i might just stop by walmart and see what it would do for me.

All I can tell you for sure is that it is good all over the state of WV. It probably is good nation wide. It only takes a phone call to find out. Let us know what they did and if you feel it helped . I'm going to have mine done next week when I have the time.
HOPE YOUR NOT IN THE FLOODS IN OK! If you are please be careful. It really looks bad out there, Mike
Old 08-20-2007, 05:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, there is such a tool that is a combination of solvents and fuel. Good service shops have been using it for years. Pull the pump fuse, use the correct adapter to feed the fuel rail, crank engine, and run the can of solvent dry. However, I have had outstanding results from Berrymans when nothing else would do the job short of removing the injectors and having them serviced. Nice thing about Berrymans is that it goes in the tank.

$0.02
Old 08-20-2007, 06:23 AM

If you had them service the vehicle they should tell you what they did to fix it. If they were working on my vehicle I would want to know exactly what they are gonna do before they do it! Just ask when you take your truck.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by chrishf12
If you had them service the vehicle they should tell you what they did to fix it. If they were working on my vehicle I would want to know exactly what they are gonna do before they do it! Just ask when you take your truck.

Good idea but I would think that if you called the Auto Serv. dept. and told them you would like to have it done but you want to know how they are going to do it or what method they use they would tell you, Mike
Old 08-20-2007, 07:27 AM

They should tell you its your vehicle they would be working on. I have worked as a part-time mechanic for my uncle for 3 years now and if a customer asked about what we did to fix their vehicles we would tell them no other thoughts bout it.

And if they added something like seafoam to your Forester there should be a record and price for the cleaner on your bill. We have to note every part, every can of paint etc. on the vehicles we work on.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:49 AM

All the bill said was injector maint. No fluids or products used were for the cleaning was listed so I called them and asked them how they did it.
They use the vacuum method using Gum-Out injector cleaner. When there done with that they ad a can of the Gum-Out cleaner to your tank. He said they get allot of calls from people saying they can't believe how much better there car runs. My wife started raving about it when she walked in the door and when I took it for a ride I could see why. It really made a big difference in her car. When I go to Charleston, WV next week I will have them do mine too. That's the closest WalMart to us and that's 55 miles,Lol. It's worth the $19.95 to let them do it. Mike
Old 08-20-2007, 09:10 AM

Yeah, many places offer this type of cleaning. It is the next best thing to taking the injectors out and sending them out. Most brands that I have seen recommend that you add one of their products to your gas tank and drive for a tankful prior to using the other cleaning attached to the fuel rail.

I thought my injectors were really dirty so i borrowed the contraption, recirced my fuel line back to the return to the tank, hooked it up, filled canister with cleaner, attached air at desired pressure (`40#), and ran it til it began to stall out. Rehook lines back up and off you go.

It did nothing for my situation but it is worth a shot if you suspect dirty injectors or for periodic maintenance.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:53 AM

gpcollen1 , My line of thinking is for that price you can't go wrong and it has to be good rather than a bad thing to do for your engine. At 90,000 + my engine may be ready for it anyway,Lol. I just know what it did for my wifes car and it was worth $20.00 just to see the smile on her face and she never yelled at me the rest of the day!!.
Don't know what a couple of bottles of Gum-out cost but I run TechTron through mine as it's the best I have ever tried and I have tried a few including Sea Foam. The price TechTron around here is $8.00 a bottle so if I deduct that from the $20.00 then I feel I'm getting a really good deal for $12.00 with cleaned injectors. Mike