Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Injector cleaning (Is it a scam?)

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2003, 02:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Injector cleaning (Is it a scam?)

Do we really need to have our fuel injectors professionally cleaned? I use thr regular cleaner every 3k put in my gas tank.
Old 04-10-2003, 03:21 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You probably don't.

But then again....

My '95 was surging on cruisecontrol so I treated it with a couple of tanks of premium and the large bottles ($10) of fuel system cleaner (Techron) it seemed to help a little. I haven't been as dutiful as you with the treatments.

So I had the dealer do it ($70). It cured all my problems. Started getting 19+ mpg just like when I bought the 4Runner (used) about a hundred thousand miles ago.

No, I don't believe it's a scam. But not every vehicle will benefit from a cleaning.
Old 04-10-2003, 04:44 AM
CTB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I talked to a fuel injector/injection service guy one time, and he told me that unless you were having serious problems, that it wasn't worth the cost and time to have your injectors pulled and ultrasonically cleaned. I didn't ask him about the cleaning machines that hook up to the fuel rail, or even the little bottles of stuff you buy at the auto store, so I can't really comment on whether those work or not.
Old 04-10-2003, 05:22 AM
Contributing Member

Like gwhayduke said, I did it to my '86 as a last resort but my hesitation went away and MPG went up. A great alternative that has been working out well for my '98 is the Redline Fuel injector cleaner.
Old 04-10-2003, 05:45 AM
Banned

Corey had his cleaned with some ultrasound technique and has a chart showing how much the flow improved afterwords. It probably is worth it since your 'lifetime' fuel filter probably dosen't catch as much debris as it should and that debris ends up in the injectors.
Old 04-10-2003, 07:11 AM
Contributing Member

I change my "lifetime" fuel filters once a year (about 30K miles)
Old 04-10-2003, 07:18 AM

I just replaced my filter and saw more power and better throttle response. Because of this, I plan to shortly either replace the injectors or have them professionally cleaned. I'm a believer!!!
Old 04-10-2003, 07:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
my "lifetime" fuel filter has lasted 219000 Ill be replacing it this next week. The hi flow cat is supposed to be here today. The things I go to to get my 20mpg average back from the current 12....lol
Old 04-10-2003, 05:33 PM
Contributing Member

I was discussing injector cleaning with some guys at an automotive vocational school, and they strongly do not recommend using the add-to-tank injector cleaners, because this will clean the tarnish from the fuel tank and entire system, and run it through your injectors, which can cause more harm than good. IMO, the cheap way is to have them cleaned via the pressurized can at the fuel rail, (I pard $55 at the dealer) or have a cleaned/balanced set installed, which would be the best way.
Old 04-11-2003, 09:37 AM

Damn, this turned out to be a pretty good posting with all the great responces.

So, basically, the cleaning is good to have but only if your ride is just not performing the way it used to, or should. Otherwords, not a once a year job.

To 95 4x4Runner, I agree with you but isn't that what the fliter is for?
Old 04-11-2003, 10:59 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
If you search for some of my old posts here, you will see I had to shell out almost $500 to get mine cleaned.

http://www.pnw4runners.net/tech/flowtest.jpg

I had no choice but to have them yanked out, ultrasound cleansed, then reinstalled.

Took the dealer one day, and the rig ran so much better.
By looking at my chart, you will see two injectors were not flowing good.

When that happens, if you take your foot off the gas to slow down in traffic, your rig can start bucking like a bronco which mine did at part throttle.

As soon as I applied more throttle, it would stop.
This is caused by a faulty spray pattern from being clogged.

The next best method to having them yanked is to find a shop that uses the Snap On! Motor Vac system, or a machine that is similar to it.

Your engine runs on the solution from the machine for 30 minutes or so and cleans the fuel rail, injectors, and helps rid the upper combustion chamber of carbon deposits.
Ask Gadget about this method, as I believe he uses it.

This will be the way I get mine cleaned next time.
Runs around the $100 mark to get it done
Old 04-11-2003, 01:34 PM
Contributing Member

Here's some more info I found @

http://www.cleaninjectors.com/whytestandclean.html

Why should injectors be ultrasonically cleaned and flow tested?

Over years of use, hundreds of warm-up and cool-down cycles, and thousands of gallons of gasoline, injectors can become restricted by deposits.

Deposits cause uneven flow between injectors and incorrect injector spray patterns resulting in insufficient atomization and incomplete combustion.

Off-car ultrasonic cleaning does what no on-car chemical cleaner can do. Ultrasonic cleaning uses sound waves, in a special cleaning solution, to break up deposits – this is the same method used by jewelers, dentists, and other professionals.

On-car chemical cleaners can do more harm than good. Several major auto manufacturers now warn against using chemical cleaners in their vehicles. Use of such cleaners may void the factory warranty.

Most on-car chemical cleaners have not been tested for compatibility with fuel tanks, lines, filters, injector alloys, oxygen sensors, or catalytic converters. Damage to all of these expensive components can result from using untested products.

On-car chemical cleaners loosen dirt and contamination from the tank, lines, fuel rail, etc., and move it into the injector where the tiny filter screens and pintle opening trap the contamination. Most automotive technicians have seen a car with a minor problem instantly transformed into a car that will barely run because of using an on-car chemical cleaning solution.

On-car cleaning provides no way to identify injectors with problems such as broken springs and damaged or leaking pintles. Off-car testing allows us to cycle the injector under an entire range of operating conditions to identify problems.

Cleaning injectors will result in fewer emissions (may help borderline cars pass inspection), better fuel economy, and smoother engine operation.
Old 04-12-2003, 09:14 AM

Okay, on-car cleaning is the stuff we put in our gas tanks, right? Off-car is removing the injectors off of the car. But what is considered the method of :
Snap On! Motor Vac system, or a machine that is similar to it.
Old 04-12-2003, 12:09 PM

I sucked a bottle of carbon cleaner from Toyota through mine. Dunno what it does for the injectors but it sure runs a ton better. Smokes like hell though while you are doing it. Get with surlynkid, he has a line on a whole kit to do this from Toyota.