Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Improperly Installed Supercharger????

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2003, 04:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Improperly Installed Supercharger????

I just got back from a Tires Plus for a quick rotation and balance before the big trip and the tech informed me that my supercharger (which was installed by a pretty reputable dealer here in Colo - Stevinson) was set up wrong?

I have a 99' and he indicated that my throttle is on the wrong side -which causes me to be slower off the line but faster through acceleration?

Does this make sense and should I be concerned?

Makes for a real happy holiday to have this weighing on my mind! Thanks for any feedback and/or advice!
Old 12-22-2003, 04:42 PM

Is he speaking of the way the cables are run?

If so if you post or send me an email of the way the cables are attched to the throttle body I will let you know if they are correct or not.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 12-22-2003, 05:10 PM

Thanks for the speedy reply. I also emailed you. He indicated it was the whole throttle set up. It should be on the right and mine is set on the left??

I apologize - a picture would be the logical way to show you - but with a camera under the tree, I should be able to get you some pictures after the holiday. Any thoughts until then?

I guess I'm just asking someone to put my obsessive mind at ease! Thanks again
Old 12-22-2003, 05:26 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by 4runnergal
Thanks for the speedy reply. I also emailed you. He indicated it was the whole throttle set up. It should be on the right and mine is set on the left??
He said it should be on the right of the supercharger? WHERE?!?
If you are standing at the front of the truck, the T/B should be on the left of the supercharger. The throttle cable should be looped over the top of the pulley. If you have cruise control, the cable from the servo should be looped under the T/B.
Old 12-22-2003, 05:47 PM
Contributing Member

As HaveBlue said, if youre standing in front of the truck. The throttle body should be on the left.

Old 12-24-2003, 06:16 AM
Contributing Member

Doesn't seem likely (or even possible) to me that the throttle cable is installed incorrectly. There is only one way to run it and the TRD S/C install manual is very straight forward on this section.
Old 12-24-2003, 06:28 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: Improperly Installed Supercharger????

I just got back from a Tires Plus for a quick rotation and balance before the big trip and the tech informed me that my supercharger (which was installed by a pretty reputable dealer here in Colo - Stevinson) was set up wrong?

I have a 99' and he indicated that my throttle is on the wrong side -which causes me to be slower off the line but faster through acceleration?

Does this make sense and should I be concerned?

Makes for a real happy holiday to have this weighing on my mind! Thanks for any feedback and/or advice!
Perhaps this is why he is rotating and balancing tires for a living and not installing superchargers...

Old 12-24-2003, 06:37 AM

Re: Re: Improperly Installed Supercharger????

Originally posted by waskillywabbit
Perhaps this is why he is rotating and balancing tires for a living and not installing superchargers...

Haha I was just about to ask why we are taking supercharger installation advice from the tire jockey....
Old 12-24-2003, 03:42 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Home: Aurora, CO; Work: The People's Republic of Denver
Re: Improperly Installed Supercharger????

...pretty reputable dealer here in Colo - Stevinson
I'd take that with a grain of salt or the whole salt shaker! Stevinson's service has gone downhill over the past few years while the price has gone up. Have been dealing with Burt on Broadway and haven't had any problems.

As for the charger install, there is no way for the TB to be on the wrong side. If so, the tire jockey would be right in saying that it'd be a little slow off the line...it'd be dead in your driveway! He needs to stick with rotating tires and not giving engine advice.
Old 12-24-2003, 03:52 PM
Contributing Member

My question is why he had your hood up in the first place if he was rotating and balancing your tires? Doesn't make sense to me
Old 12-25-2003, 09:13 AM

Thanks guys.

The description from HaveBlue and picture really helped assure me that I didn't have anything to worry about. Identical!

As for taking advice from tire guys --I've learned my lesson. I guess I should've known better and next time I'll take the salt shaker with me!

Thanks again for all the responses and answers. I can confidently tackle my drive now and will check into going to Burt vs. Stevinson. Might be worth the drive. Thanks!