Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Important recovery question!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 07:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Important recovery question!!!

Hey, whats up guys?.... Just had a thought last night bout my 4x4'n trip. Considering the fact that I'll be bymyself recovery is a big thing on my mind. I know what I can do and better yet I know what my truck can do. But the question is.... I f Iam stuck, high centered or just can move the vehicle, can I ....( this is where it get technical..lol) Use my newly bought hi-lift, jack up the front or rear end and attach my 10,000 lb come-along to the same end on the left or right ( ie jack up front >>> come-along on right frnt) and winch it to the left or right. making it slide off the hi-lift? I know that this would be a last ditch effort as it is very, well, some would say stupid, but if it's the only thing left to do, well ya see where Iam headin? Also, seeing the fact that I'll be only on the trail when this happens, I'll ( probably) be aired down, Now the 2nd ques. is with having the truck drop sidways on aired down tires dy'a think the possibility of bustin a bead is high? 3rd ques. Iam think if I was to do the evasive manouver it would be best to let the rear slide cuz of the less mechanical piviots and such compaired to the front end. (ie. jack up rear and pull the rear to the l or r.) So yeah what do you all think? cheers!!! Lee.
Old 05-20-2004, 07:55 AM
Contributing Member

Well first off I can tell you already that everyone is going to tell you not to go out wheeling alone it's dangerous...but we all know that sometimes the only way to go is to just go by yourself. I've walked back to town many a times but that mostly because of and being dumb.

For your highlift question I've seen guys jack up their rig and then kick it off the jack sideways to get out of a rut. It's not to pretty but would work in a pinch. You can also use a chain and a highlift as a winch. As far as blowing a bead I would just not air down below like 20 PSI and it shouldn't be a problem. Everytime I've aired down I ended up having to have my rims taken off the bead and scrubbed though because they wouldn't hold air after airing back up because of dirt and crap that got jammed in between the rim and the tire. Good luck on your trip and stay safe.
Old 05-20-2004, 08:15 AM

The Hi-Lift is one of the best off-road tools you can carry! Saved my butt plenty of times.

When you use your Hi-lift as a winch you don't always have to pull your rig all the way out. Straps stretch, so some times you may move the jack the entire length and the rig only moves a few inches. There may be enuff tension on the strap to drive yourself out so, you don't have to continue to adjust the strap and winch 4 inches at a time.

Just my experienc with Flori-duh mud holes and no proper winch or friends yank.

Good luck!
Old 05-20-2004, 08:26 AM
Contributing Member

I would like to add a shovel and a pry bar to the list of must haves. Why a pry bar? Well here in AZ we have a rock problem. And there are times when a pry bar can move a rock enough to get it under a tire for some traction. They are just an all-around good tool to have.

I always let someone know where I am going and what time they should send a search party, should I not return. I also keep the numbers of a local recovery team(Toyota mind you ) so I can hike it out and call them.
Old 05-20-2004, 09:03 AM

Pry bar... Good idea!! Shovel got that too. And yeah, any of the extra curricular activities I might be doing will NOT be going on as I drive. Responsibility man... gots ta have it. And fer sure the hi-lift will always be near me... cheers, Lee
Old 05-20-2004, 09:08 AM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Yep, do that all the time. Just be sure the jack can't get you if it "kicks." Budget for a winch, though, you'll be much happier...
Old 05-20-2004, 09:18 AM

Hey Flamedx4... sweet paint job!!! got any more pics?
Old 05-21-2004, 09:21 AM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Thanks!
There's some pics at www.pcez.com/~pcollins