Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

I'm a real member now....who needs help

Old 08-23-2002, 04:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm a real member now....who needs help

Hey gang--

Well I did it...bought a 90 4runner/v6/5sp!!!! Way cool!!! Drives very nice (especialy compared to my other vehicle)...way more than I need. Now for the help part...that's where you come in...

1.The speedo twitches/bounces 2-3 mph above 50 mph. Seems to go with the road....if I go over rough pavement it will bounce with the truck...kinda follows the suspension movement.

2.Right rear window (power) doesn't roll up very fast...I even had to reach back and help it....is that a track lubrication problem or maybe a power problem. I haven't tried it from that door controls, just the driver controls.

3.Paint. The vehicle is black, which I like, but I don't think the PO washed it for months and never waxed it. The paint is in pretty good condition considering the age and lack of attention, minor chips and a scratch here and there. The main problem is that it feels dry/oxidized. I have never had a car with nice paint before and would like to make this look better. Do these cars have a factory clear coat or sealer on them? If so does that limit the products that I could use on it? Any one have any suggestions on rubbing compound/cleaner/wax that would restore the "life" back into the paint and protect well? I have used rubbing compounds before but that was on paint that was too far gone and it didn't turn out well....this paint appears to be salvageable.

4.Tires. What size was the stock size? I have 31 on it now which I believe to be bigger than factory. Will having a different size make the speedo/odometer incorrect?

5.When driving it sounds like I can hear the speedo cable spinning. Do these cars have cables or are they run off of a sensor? If so, any ideas to what I am hearing...it is speed sensitive (sounds louder/faster the faster the car is going)

6.The E-brake doesn't seem to hold very well. Is there an adjustment cable that I can adjust or does it have to be done by the adjusting stars at each wheel, maybe I need new brakes. Any opinions/thoughts/suggestions?

So new with so many questions

Thanks

Tomstir

Last edited by tomstir; 08-23-2002 at 04:40 AM.
Old 08-23-2002, 04:58 AM
Contributing Member

Speedometer cable/twitch: Sounds like you need to lube the cable (assuming it's mechanical and not electrical). If you can get to the back of the speedo, it's not hard.

Emergency Brake: There are two adjuster nuts, one on either side of the brake inside the console (2nd gens have center console ebrakes not that t-handle from the dash, right?). Of course, your rear brake shoes may be worn. Have a mechanic check it out just in case.

Paint: My Paseo doesn't have a clearcoat and rubbing compound works wonders for severely oxidized paint.

Hope this helps,
Chris
Old 08-23-2002, 06:07 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Congrats on your purchace

#1 & 5 are directly related. The cable is in dire need of lubing.
New cable from the dealer is $70 plus labor.
You can pull it yourself if you are comfortable with taking it out from behind the dash.
That is one of the things myself I'd gladly pay to have done.
Yes, it is cable driven. I think '92 was the year they went electronic.

Mine does the same thing, and on some cold mornings it will start to squeal real loud, I mean real loud.
But it stops after a minute or so. Only does it about 5 times a year at the most.
My '90 truck did the same thing when I had it.

#2. Sounds like it needs to be lubed. Someone posted just yesterday on how to lube the window tracks with a rag & screwdriver.
Plug in the word "screwdriver" into the search engine for yesterday and it should come up.

#3. Paint, ah, so many ways to tackle this. I won't go into detail, I'll let my detail website do that for you. It's in my sig below.
Using the method described on my page I get excellent results.
CTapia has a black 4Runner too and uses the same products and method as I do, and his rig turned out nice.
Pics to his write-up can be found on the bottom of page II of my detail section.

#4. Runners came with a 31" tire package as an option. However mine did not, it came with 235s. The 31" tire will make your speedo be about 3 MPH slower than it really is, and eat a little performance too.
I'm use to it, not a big deal for me.

#6. I never mess with brakes, so I don't know, but like Chris mentioned, there are places to adjust it.
There should be a post here too from a month ago that tells how to adjust the brakes and the emergency cable.

Also, did you run the VIN # at the dealer to see if the head gaskets have been taken care of yet?
They are covered by a TSB.
Old 08-23-2002, 06:46 AM

Originally posted by mtnbkr
Emergency Brake: There are two adjuster nuts, one on either side of the brake inside the console (2nd gens have center console ebrakes not that t-handle from the dash, right?).
No, 2nd gens have the T handle. I don't think that you have to adjust it either. Mine seems to be the same way. It seems to shift after you put it on, but it does its job. It will take the weight off of the tranny.

As far as wax, I use the Meguiar's Cleaner Wax. It is a 2 in 1 cleaner and wax and does a great job! I really recommend it. There are other products out there that do basically the same thing, but I am not too familiar with them, so I don't know. :fireman:

Search this Thread