Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

ifs diff question

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 11:51 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ifs diff question

i'm just sitting killing time at my girlfriend's place so i took off the ifs skid to see how it would look. as soon as i got it off something looked wrong. sorry if i'm a little naive when it comes to explaining but i'm not to knowledgeable on ifs. anyways, the mounting arm on the left is completely dry, the one on the right has what looks like layers and layers of grease and gunk. last time i went into to jiffy lube for the synth oil swap he mentioned i had a little oil leak. just got off the phone with blake and he said it's possibly cv boot grease. anyways, we both thought posting this up would merit some results so if you have any speculation please shoot it at me, thanks guys

left

right

middle
Old 09-03-2007, 11:55 AM

this happened to me.

its just a small oil leak and then dirt gets up under the skid and sticks to it.

check your cv boots to make sure they arnt leaking.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RooRRunner
last time i went into to jiffy lube
Jiffy Lube is the root of your problem. You pull into jiffy lube, they spin off your filter which is on the side of your engine block, the oil spills down the engine block onto the oil pan, drips on the front diff, and drips onto the skid plate. This happens every time they change your oil, and eventually turns into a thick greasy sludged up mess. I used to work at Toyota and we would pressure wash every vehicle that came in the shop to avoid this mess. They also probably don't replace the one time use metal gasket on the drain plug (heck, your lucky if they even remember to tighten the drain plug)

Go buy 2 cans of FLAMMABLE brake cleaner (the non flammable stuff sucks) and head to the car wash (NOT your driveway) Have your skid plate off before you arrive. Spray all around the diff, suspension, and oil pan. Get a 14mm socket or wrench and tighten the drain plug and inspect the plug to make sure you don't have a split drain plug gasket. Spray down the entire area really good. I bet that you have no oil leak at all, and that the next time you go to jiffy lube your "oil leak" will return.

My advice, skip jiffy lube all together. They hire any pimple face kid off the streets to change your oil, and rush them to get it done in 10 minutes and half the time they forget to do simple stuff like tighten drain plug or fill the truck with oil. You can get an oil change at the dealer for like $25, or less if you can find a coupon.

Last edited by Adam F; 09-03-2007 at 12:40 PM.
Old 09-03-2007, 03:25 PM

or you can do it yourself for 15. ^_^
Old 09-03-2007, 04:15 PM
Contributing Member

yeah but i'm in college and i don't really have a place to set up shop anymore. i'm definitely not placing my ace on the hot blacktop to change some oil, i'll pay someone to do it

had some fun today though, this is one of the reasons i don't enjoy climbing underneath my baby at times

Old 09-03-2007, 05:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Simple Green works
Purple Stuff too - but its a bit caustic.

Simple Green and ELBOW grease gets it very clean.
But IMHO - it keeps the rust away