Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

If you were to paint your rig...

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2004, 03:41 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you were to paint your rig...

I'm having some body work done in the next week or two (see my post called Rust ) and I got to thinking...once that's finished some paint work will have to take place, obviously.

That also got me to thinking about painting the whole truck. Since I'm almost done dechroming it (having the bumpers powdercoated next week and that'll be it!), I thought having an all black rig would be cool as hell. Stealthy, like a brick flying through the air. Then I was out drinking Guinness all afternoon with my best friend and he thinks white, even though he thinks black would be cool too. White with no chrome would be cool, too...

I don't want a stock color...not that there's anything wrong with them, but I want something different. The Garnet Pearl on my 92 is actually in quite good shape, but there are loads of scratches that I'd like to see go away. Plus I had it detailed a couple of weeks ago and the wax really shows the scratches up much more. Argh...

So, what do you think? I'm not married to painting it black...but I think a COMPLETELY black Runner would be sweet looking.

Were you to paint, what would you do?

Old 11-05-2004, 04:20 PM

I really like black too. However if I were to ever paint my truck I would make the roof white. Just to help keep temps.cooler inside.
Old 11-05-2004, 04:20 PM

If I were to paint my truck, I'd stick fairly close to the facory color. Nothing looks more ridiculous than opening the hood on a white vehicle and finding green in the engine bay. Go brighter or darker, but only change colors if money is no object and you can afford to do it completely. I work in autobody and painted my MR2 this year. It was originally green, and I went to a dark, dark, DARK green. Ok, it's black unless in direct sun, but the point is, the underhood green does not sharply contrast with the exterior color I chose. Red is tough though, because you can't change it alot without making it too pink or purple. I paint Toyota reds all the time, and I don't like a single one of them... Good luck.
Old 11-05-2004, 04:23 PM
Banned

Get a flat black. Stealthy... If I ever had the money, Id paint my truck black and degloss everything...
Old 11-05-2004, 04:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm getting my truck repainted soon (installing the new 'glass panels now actually) and i'm going hondapearl blue from the black i have now.
Everything you see will be painted except under the hood, it's ok, i'll repaint under the hood if i ever do a 3.4 swap
Old 11-05-2004, 04:30 PM
Contributing Member

Yea, that's one thing that does bug me...opening the hood and seeing red, if I go with another color. I don't think I want to do 'all out' though, but I don't plan on selling the truck, so it's not THAT big of a deal. I'll have the under hood stuff done as thoroughly as possible, but I'm not going all out. I'd just like to have the visible parts done right...but not ignoring the 'hidden' stuff at the same time. It's sort of a middle ground, I'd say...

I'm really digging the idea of a completely black truck, esp. with new paint. I'm definitely leaning towards all black, but since I'm probably going to do it, I thought I'd see what other ideas are out there...so I'm definitely open to them!
Old 11-05-2004, 04:30 PM

i have seen an all black runner before. it looks awesome. however it was completly black. The windows were tinted a dark black and the wheels were black outs.
Old 11-05-2004, 04:37 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by special k
i have seen an all black runner before. it looks awesome. however it was completly black. The windows were tinted a dark black and the wheels were black outs.
Yea, that's what I have...limo tint on the backs and as dark as possible on the front. I've also painted the stocker wheels black...which actually look good, believe it or not (good results are in the preparation before painting).

But I too like the idea of it ALL black. I have already de-chromed the front window trim, both side mirrors, front grill (all look factory perfect)...the only chrome left is the running boards (which I'm not sure if I'll leave them on or powdercoat them) and the F/R bumpers (powdercoating them next week). So that's why I was thinking all black would look kickass...tinted, black wheels, no chrome. Should be kewl, I'm thinking...!

I kind of like the idea of it being flat black...I hadn't really thought of that before. I was thinking a lacquer to give it some reflectivity/shine. Hmmm...
Old 11-05-2004, 05:06 PM
Banned

Line-X the entire truck......

Or the stealth flat black....It looks kinda dull, but boy is it HOTT!
Old 11-05-2004, 05:14 PM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Now why would ANYbody want to repaint their Yota?
I say: Go for it!

Mine was completely painted, except under the hood and underneath the truck, and I mean completely - the interior was removed and so were the windows - no masked edges anywhere. Not doing under the hood is not a problem, when you're showing off your paint just don't open the hood! Mine is bone stock in there anyway so what's to see?

As for scratches - have it clearcoated. Better yet use a basecoat/clearcoat system. My 85 still looked great after 15 years, every other year or so I'd compound out the accumulated scratches. Would not have held up like that if it wasn't clearcoated. There's enough clear on my '90 that you could probably go after it with a grinder and not hurt it....

Last edited by Flamedx4; 11-05-2004 at 05:37 PM.
Old 11-05-2004, 06:30 PM
Contributing Member

Paint it black with a pearl red clear coat. Have the fenders , doors, and hood removed
so they can get cut in. Have the door jams painted. Engine bay is left red. So what!!
$$$$$$$$$$$
Old 11-05-2004, 06:32 PM
Contributing Member

Always been a fan of green myself...

Old 11-05-2004, 06:38 PM
Banned

i wouldnt do gloss black becasue black shows all the little imperfections.... flat black, or white, or some wierd camo color
Contributing Member

I'm with Gangus...flats and primers are very skunk works...military. every see a VW Kammanduerwagen? Tuff!
Contributing Member

Green...wow, there's a color I've never even considered! Not sure if it suits my style though. Hmmmm

Line-X...another hmmmm....has anyone actually covered their whole vehicle with this stuff? I kinda like the idea, in a way...it'd be like a military issue Runner...impervious to all sorts of radar...how cool would that be!

Scofco, when I get the bumpers powdercoated, I'll need to get clear turn signals...where did you get yours? I'll need 'em, so let me know!

Still....lots of hmmmm's...keep the ideas coming!

Old 11-05-2004, 06:44 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by GregStevens
Scofco, when I get the bumpers powdercoated, I'll need to get clear turn signals...where did you get yours? I'll need 'em, so let me know!
I got mine through photoshop

Hit up Burtman Industries for the clears, I've been meaning to do it myself one day.

http://www.burtmanindustries.com/index.php
Old 11-05-2004, 06:53 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Scofco
I got mine through photoshop

Hit up Burtman Industries for the clears, I've been meaning to do it myself one day.

http://www.burtmanindustries.com/index.php
I was checking out that green paint job. Thought to myself, Photo shop.
Wish all Mods could come that cheap! I would have the truck of my dreams.
Old 11-05-2004, 06:58 PM
Contributing Member

hahaha....ok, I was kinda thinking the same thing, too....Mr. Chopper!

I know Jason from S2000 ventures, so I'll hit him up for the clears. I normally wouldn't care, but on a black rig, the yellow stands out like a sore thumb.

But wait...am I going to go black!

Can you 'chop this pic to make it black?

Old 11-05-2004, 07:00 PM

Go factory red. It's a nice color. Why change it? Red and black would be a sweet combo. Black does get hot too. And definitely get some clear corner and bumper lenses. Look on eBay for them. I got mine from Central 4Wheel Drive, but they were pretty expensive there. They definitely make a truck look good.
Old 11-05-2004, 07:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i'd probably paint mine some kind of flat olive green or khaki tan like flecker's truck. i love the yellow, but those other colors would make it look more like a fishing truck

Quick Reply: If you were to paint your rig...