Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

If you were looking to buy a 4Runner and you saw this ad...

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you were looking to buy a 4Runner and you saw this ad...

"1990 4Runner SR5, blue.

Good condition, 165,000 miles; ZERO miles on new motor.

Toyota factory refurbished motor just installed by Toyota dealership.

New timing belt, new clutch installed with motor.

Other:

Good paint, New Tires (w/in 5k miles), New Brakes (w/in 1k miles), A/C, Power Steering, Power Windows, Power Door Locks, Tilt Wheel, Cruise Control, AM/FM Stereo, Single Compact Disc, Moon Roof, Roof Rack, Privacy Glass, Towing Pkg, Premium Wheels.

$6,000"

Here's the dilemma: In my area (SF Bay Area), an early 90s Runner in good condition generally has between 120-180k miles and goes for around $4,000-5,000.

So would you say that the security of having a professionally installed, factory refurbished motor is worth the extra $1k-2k?

Or would you say that it's at best a warning sign that something else might be wrong/problematic with the truck, and that you'd rather have one with a used motor in tip top condition?

Interested in your thoughts.

Michael in CA

Last edited by msw1; 03-31-2004 at 02:56 PM.
Old 03-31-2004, 03:10 PM

i would think if they installed a rebuilt motor it shouldnt be a problem. i'd find out what kind of motor is in it first before you buy it. if its a good motor then yeah i would pay more if it had a rebuilt motor
Old 03-31-2004, 03:26 PM
Contributing Member

Odds are it was replaced because of the head gasket. If the dealership installed a brand new engine in it, I'd be buying that 4runner in a heartbeat.
Everything on the 2nd gens are pretty solid, including the engine. If it has a brand new engine, I'd say it's win win.
Old 03-31-2004, 03:42 PM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Kind of pricy for a 1990 with 165,000 miles on it even with a new motor. Remember the rest of the vehicle has 165K on it.
Old 03-31-2004, 05:01 PM

A factory motor is worth probably about 4500 (Including Labor)

If it is a Toyota Guaranteed Rebuild - Otherwise I'd check the warranty. I paid approximately that much for a 93 runner that lost it's head gasket @ 103000 - 3 wks or so after I bought it.
Old 03-31-2004, 07:06 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great responses here. Really, it's a push. It's called normal maintenance to replace the engine, or anything else for that matter, when required. Yet it raises concerns about other deferred maintenance that might become expensive down the road. The seller is looking for someone impressed with the new engine. Don't you be one of them if negotiating to buy. Let the seller know of your concerns, but by all means don't pay over KBB private party sale price for your area.

Incidentally, there's no such thing as a Toyota "factory refurbished" motor offered by Toyota. It's either a new or remanufactured engine from Toyota, or it was refurbished by an aftermarket joint. Also note that refurbished is generally considered to be a lesser quality standard than Toyota remanufactured.

There are so many more considerations when buying used than mileage. Most of those will be revealed with a Carfax report, but a careful professional inspection is best of all. Please don't skip this step.

Interestingly, I'm facing the same situation in selling my FJ-80 with a factory new engine. I'm not even advertising that part, and won't mention it until I determine whether the prospect will value it or not when they show up to inspect. Even though the new engine cost over $4K (paid by the original owner), I paid zero premium for it. You should do the same. My 2¢.

Last edited by BT17R; 03-31-2004 at 07:19 PM.
Old 04-01-2004, 08:31 AM

Excellent responses. Thanks to everyone.

Now I have to come clean and admit that I made up the ad I posted. It does not actually exist. I apologize, but I did it for the greater good of 4Runner-kind. You see, I already own that 4Runner.

Here's the long story: A while ago, when the head gasket blew, I took it to the local dealer, and they quoted me $2,800 to fix it.

It was all I could do to talk the wife into spending the dough to get it fixed. Literally. She was adamant that instead, I should spend $3,600 and buy a used Honda Accord (ugh). Luckily, her love for me and my love for the 4Runner won out.

Well, the dealership takes it apart, machines the head and gets ready to put it back together. Then I get a call. The good news is that the head is in great shape. The bad news is the block is "warped." :wtf:

I've never even heard of that happening before, but I guess it's possible.

The really bad news: $6,800 for a new short block (actually a reconditioned one from the factory).

That's it. I'm sunk. I'll be powerless against the Honda-loving wife. So I try one last-ditch effort to keep the Runner. I guilt the Toyota dealership into giving me 25% off ($5,200 for the new motor). And I pitch it to the wife this way: We spend $6,000 (an extra $800 for a new clutch assembly, timing belt and tax) and get a great truck with zero miles on a new-ish motor that was installed by a pro. (Ignoring the residual value of a dead 4Runner that we would have to unload before buying something else.)

Win-win situation, no?

No worries about the shady history of a used car. And the good lord willing, this motor will run for another 80,000 miles, and I don't have to drive around in a Honda Accord. Well, the only thing that would really sinch the deal was to show her what the market price is for the same 4Runner with 160,000+ miles on the clock.

In that case, I think $6k is a great deal. And I think you guys have just validated the decision.

I know I'm happy!

Michael in CA
1990 3.slow (resurrected from the dead!)