Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

If you were to buy a 96-02 4Runner

Old 03-30-2005, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you were to buy a 96-02 4Runner

That would be used for off-roading (lift, bigger tires, sliders, etc)

What year would you get?

Manual or Auto?

Color?
Old 03-30-2005, 02:05 PM
Contributing Member

I would get a 99 limited because of the locker, push button mode awd/4wd, upgraded interior. The only down side is the two-tone(even though i own one) I can't stand the green and oak limited color is your preference. Darker colors show all dirt and dents.

I believe the 2000 limited also had the same options. They are all Auto.
If you have to have stick, then get a Highlander w/a rear locker, but no leather. You can do a KAtzkin leather swap.
See where I am going?
do you want AT or manual?
Leather or cloth?
Two tone and fender flares?
You will aslo pay a few more thousand for the limited, but they hold their value. Plus I love my digital climate control.

damn that was long
Old 03-30-2005, 02:07 PM
Contributing Member

Filthy is right...I wish mine was white or dune. Stays 'cleaner' longer if you get my drift Oh you gotta get at least a 99...they have better cup holders

Last edited by ugadawg95; 03-30-2005 at 02:55 PM.
Old 03-30-2005, 02:43 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most definitely a 1999 or 2000 limited 4WD in Sunfire Red (but hey, i guess you could say that i'm a little biased)

my second choice would be a 2000 limited 4WD in Millenium Silver.

I would build it like mine will be in about a month...

2" suspension lift, 1" body lift, 4.56 gears, front and rear ARB lockers, front ARB Sahara Bar, warn M8000 winch.

About the only thing that I'm going to add is an electric fan (in progress) and a steel rear bumper w/ tire carrier...

Oh, and I would HIGHLY suggest painting a two-tone limited all one color. I did. Filthyrich didn't and now wished he had gone all red instead of two-tone...

Last edited by bamachem; 03-30-2005 at 02:45 PM.
Old 03-30-2005, 02:53 PM
Contributing Member

Cheapest one you can find. Beat up or not. As few of options as possible. What's the point of finding 4.30's when you're going to put 4.56 gears in it? Why pay for anything when its just going to get beat to a pulp or replaced with something larger or stronger?. As a guess I'd wager:

Stick
tan to hide dirt or red to hide rust.
Old 03-30-2005, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Bennito
Cheapest one you can find. Beat up or not. As few of options as possible. What's the point of finding 4.30's when you're going to put 4.56 gears in it? Why pay for anything when its just going to get beat to a pulp or replaced with something larger or stronger?. As a guess I'd wager:

Stick
tan to hide dirt or red to hide rust.

Amen.....if you're going to hard-core trash it off road, why do you need leather? Myself, I like as few options as possible because I get tired of dealing with crap that breaks when I'm 180 miles from the nearest town..... Keep it simple, and built it as you need it to perform. The money you save by not buying a limited can go right into good tires, lockers, etc. As far as a manual vs. auto.....you could ask 100 people and get 100 different answers as to which one, and why. Myself, I'm a u-shift-em kind of guy...... but then again, I might own the only '99 in the world with crank windows.......

As to color.....I like white, it hides dings, and doesn't get 300° in the Nevada summer

Last edited by Ontos; 03-30-2005 at 03:53 PM.
Old 03-30-2005, 04:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
i thought we had a FAQ'd thread about "which 4runner to buy?" anyone remember where it is?

bob
Old 03-30-2005, 04:58 PM
Contributing Member

02 sport edition. yeah, that's it.

if i had to buy another 3rd gen runner, i'd go for a 99 probably, cause it has the nicer dash i think (96-98 have the old version), and could still get an e-locker. the headlights in the (i think it's) 01+ are better, but those can easily be swapped in. also, i like the sr5 flares better than the sport/limited ones.
Old 03-30-2005, 05:09 PM

Do you wheel? If so lots of rockclimbing? Then it is probably easier with a A/T (at least with my manual I fight more on climbs).
Old 03-30-2005, 05:16 PM

DO NOT GET THE 96

There's so many things better with the 99+ models:

1) 96 is missing a body mount
2) Cup holder is on dash (stoopid)
3) uhh.....other crap

Other than that, I like the lever 4wd, i don't like the feeling of, oh I need 4wd! lemme push a button...... I guess shifting feels cooler
Old 03-30-2005, 05:19 PM

i like my 99 SR5 Steller Blue Pearl with factory locker. i dont like the inside of the limited.
Old 03-30-2005, 05:31 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5
i thought we had a FAQ'd thread about "which 4runner to buy?" anyone remember where it is?

bob

Yeah I know, this is sort of getting really old and redundant. But here goes... I've said this before and I will say it again. I have a '98 SR5, it's ok but if I had to do it all over again I would have gotten the '99 or later for the cupholders and factory fog lights. Also be on the lookout for the e-locker options, it's a nice one to have and I wished I had known about it before looking. Maybe also look for ones with rear heat/AC (I am not sure what year models had them or if they have both heat and AC).
Old 03-30-2005, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Ironmike4x4
Yeah I know, this is sort of getting really old and redundant. But here goes... I've said this before and I will say it again. I have a '98 SR5, it's ok but if I had to do it all over again I would have gotten the '99 or later for the cupholders and factory fog lights. Also be on the lookout for the e-locker options, it's a nice one to have and I wished I had known about it before looking. Maybe also look for ones with rear heat/AC (I am not sure what year models had them or if they have both heat and AC).
mine has rear heat.. so maybe they started that in 99 then?
Old 03-30-2005, 06:11 PM

I have the '99 and love it. I got lucky and got one with a rear diff. locker and I am stoked it does.

ALSO, no one has mentioned that the 1999's have a 1" higher clearance than any of the other 3rd generation 4runners either before or after 1999. For some reason the 99's are heigher. Darren (from this forum) did a study on this and the results can be found here:

http://www.mycolorado.org/ground_clearance.html

I'm happy I stumbled into a 1999 and I'd do it again in a heartbeat! And yeah, like everyone else has said. . . simple little things like the cup holders were made better in 1999. Better headlights in 99, larger front bumper, and a few other small things I am blanking out on right now.

Last edited by switchback; 03-31-2005 at 06:44 AM.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by AznSky
DO NOT GET THE 96

There's so many things better with the 99+ models:

1) 96 is missing a body mount
2) Cup holder is on dash (stoopid)
3) uhh.....other crap

Other than that, I like the lever 4wd, i don't like the feeling of, oh I need 4wd! lemme push a button...... I guess shifting feels cooler

Missing a body mount??? Please explain....
Old 03-30-2005, 07:37 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by switchback
ALSO, no one has mentioned that the 1999's have a 1" higher clearance than any of the other 3rd generation 4runners either before or after 1999. For some reason the 99's are heigher. Darren (from this forum) did a study on this and the results can be found here:
Hope I'm not offending, but the question is not which is best in stock form. If you're going to lift the rig, it doesn't matter what your stock springs give. Does your e-locker work after regearing? (I really don't know that answer) Do you worry about where the cupholders are when you're inclined at 30degrees?

now that I think about it, the correct answer is probably the lowest mileage rig you can find (be it 3rd gen, 2nd gen or even 1st gen).
Old 03-30-2005, 07:39 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by NorCalVP
Missing a body mount??? Please explain....
check the body lift faqs and threads. 96 has less mounts. PM Christian, 96 runner

edit: that's <96 runner>

Last edited by Bennito; 03-30-2005 at 07:43 PM.
Old 03-31-2005, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by Bennito
Hope I'm not offending, but the question is not which is best in stock form. If you're going to lift the rig, it doesn't matter what your stock springs give. Does your e-locker work after regearing? (I really don't know that answer) Do you worry about where the cupholders are when you're inclined at 30degrees?

now that I think about it, the correct answer is probably the lowest mileage rig you can find (be it 3rd gen, 2nd gen or even 1st gen).
No offense taken and I agree when it comes right down to it, lower mileage is all that really matters. Then color and a few bells and whistles are secondary. Once its all modded out you can't even really tell what year it is anyway. However, I think you would agree that not everyone can afford to do all the mods at once. So, I was merely stating what would be best in stock form. . . I mean, you may as well have the best you can get prior to all the mods, right? "There's nothin' stock about a stock-car" and the same could apply to a trail rig. . . EVENTUALLY. How long did it take you to get your truck modded out? It will take me probably about 2 years or so.

SO, I stand behind what I said. . . The 1999's have a 1" higher clearance than all other 3rd generations as well as a few other nice things that began that year (and followed on all later models) like nicer headlights, and a different front bumber design. Also, I believe that the standard remote keyless entry began in that model year. Alot of us in here use our rigs as our daily drivers as well. . . so it is nice to have some of the luxuries like nicer cup holders, power windows (etc.), and remote keyless entry.

On a side note: if it has more than about 100k, try to find one that has had the timing belt and water pump replaced so you don't have to worry about it.

Last edited by switchback; 03-31-2005 at 08:32 AM.
Old 03-31-2005, 06:44 AM
Banned

or get what you can find that fits your needs and then spend the $250 to get the TB/WP replaced at the dealer...
Old 03-31-2005, 07:35 AM
Contributing Member

I didn't want to swap all the upgraded goodies to my '97 so I just bought a '99 and it has the rear locker plus the Highlander model gets the Limited's wheels and the fake hood scoop.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: If you were to buy a 96-02 4Runner