Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Idler Arm Woes/Misinformation

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2004, 09:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Idler Arm Woes/Misinformation

Yesterday I went to change my idler arm. I got everything off with no problems.
The bottome bushing was dry as well as the bottom of the arm post. It looked like muddy rust for half of the post. So I took out the bushings, steelwooled the post, took out all the old grease, cleaned the housing, repacked with tons of new grease.....and I was ready to put on the new parts from Toyota.

I reach for the first bushing and it doesn't fit!!!!

Then I compare it to the old bushing and it is like a 1/4" bigger. The other new bushing is also too large. Just for good measure I checked the dust seal...and it too is too big.

I was pissed. I followed the part numbers off of 4x4wire:

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/maintenance/idler/

Nowhere on there does it mention and difference between 86-96 Idler arm sizes. So I figured that the part numbers worked for all the years. (I have an 89)

I just want everybody to know that I think there are different size Idler arms out there.

So I continued to put the old compnents back in with the new grease, so I can at least drive around.

I'll check on monday and post with the part numbers that I get then.

Oh yeah and here are some quick hints for doing the idler arm:

1. Be sure to grease the tongs on the pickle for. It really helps to keep the seal on the end of the idler arm in tact.

2. To pop off the dust seal, wedge a pickle for between the dust cap and idler assembly. I couldn't get it to budge witha screwdriver as mentioned in the writeup, but spreading out the prying forced did the trick.
Old 08-29-2004, 10:20 AM

I learned my lesson there also, I should have known better! I recieved the wrong part also. Anymore I do my homework when it comes to part #'s, I double check over and over just to be sure!
Some part #'s change in the middle of the production year.
Old 08-29-2004, 12:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by deathrunner
...I followed the part numbers off of 4x4wire:

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/maintenance/idler/
...I forwarded your complaint to Joe and he updated the article.

I don't know when the cutoff is for the different years/bushings though.
If you go by Downey's site for the different idler arm braces, it looks like the change was between 92/93...?
Old 08-29-2004, 06:44 PM
Contributing Member

Thats wierd--I rebuilt mine about a year ago, and had no issues. I used the part #'s listed in the 4x4 wire thread.
Old 08-30-2004, 05:53 AM

Probably because you and Joe have '94 and '95 trucks that use the same (later) style bushings and Deathrunner has an '89 that uses the earlier bushings.
It would just be nice to know when the exact cutoff is though...
Old 08-30-2004, 07:21 AM

Hahaha Thats too Funny.

I rebuilt my Idler Arms Last week with the write up from 4x4 Wire. I too couldn't get the new bushings to fit. But I ruined the old ones taking them out. I ended up sanding the new plastic bushings down with a dremel and finally got them in.

No problems now.... But what a PAIN.
Old 08-30-2004, 11:13 AM

Cool, I'm glad it wasn't just me. I guess I'll get the right parts today. That's awesome that he updated it so quickly...and thanks for letting him know. Hopefully we saved some other people some grief.

-Seth
Old 08-30-2004, 11:45 AM

How many Idler arms are there ?? I was crawling under my truck this weekend after wheeling and found what looks like an Idler arm on the drivers side ?

Are there 2 ? I re-built the one on the passanger side ??

(Sorry its monday and my brain is not working)
Old 08-30-2004, 02:15 PM

Does anyone have the dimensions (ID,OD, height ....) right off hand for the plastic bushings in the idler arm or know where I can find them???
Old 08-30-2004, 02:19 PM

4Hummer, that other thing that looks like an idler arm is actually your pitman arm. The pitman is attached to the steering box. The pitman actually moves the steering assmebly, while the idler helps to keep everything suspended while the pitman directs it.

Buki- I can tell you on wednesday, that's when my parts will be in. There is definitely two styles of Idler arm for 4x4.
Old 08-30-2004, 02:41 PM

I went to mcmaster.com and they make bronze bearing flanged bushings!
I just wnated to know the dimensions to see if there was a drop in replacement.I had mine custom machined at a local machine shop for $35 ,but these were running $3/pc depending on size and made out of the same material better deal than what I did. If anyone is handy with machining tools they may want to check it out. Go to www.macmaster.com and type in *bronze bearing* follow the link to flanged bearings. Read what it says about the bronze bearing, you will never have to replace your plastic bearings again. But then again you might have to get a truss because the arm will bend...........yada yada yada and more $$$$
Old 08-30-2004, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Buki
I went to mcmaster.com and they make bronze bearing flanged bushings!
I just wnated to know the dimensions to see if there was a drop in replacement.I had mine custom machined at a local machine shop for $35 ,but these were running $3/pc depending on size and made out of the same material better deal than what I did. If anyone is handy with machining tools they may want to check it out. Go to www.macmaster.com and type in *bronze bearing* follow the link to flanged bearings. Read what it says about the bronze bearing, you will never have to replace your plastic bearings again. But then again you might have to get a truss because the arm will bend...........yada yada yada and more $$$$
Ya Calimini for one uses bronze bushings for thier IFS steering solutions.

I think your linky is wrong though www.macmaster.com is a bed and breakfast place. I think you mean't www.mcmaster.com
Old 08-30-2004, 03:38 PM

You're right sorry about the extra *A*!
Old 08-30-2004, 05:10 PM

Are there any bad side affects to a bronze bushing? I mean why wouldn't toyota have done it. Sorry, just being skeptical. -Seth
Old 08-30-2004, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by deathrunner
4Hummer, that other thing that looks like an idler arm is actually your pitman arm. The pitman is attached to the steering box. The pitman actually moves the steering assmebly, while the idler helps to keep everything suspended while the pitman directs it.
Do you need to re-build the pitman arm ?
Old 08-30-2004, 06:31 PM

I think the all mighty dollar rears it's ugly head again. What do you think costs more a piece of plastic or an oil impregnated piece of bronze? My buddy had a job for GM and just by eliminating two via/traces in their PCB over the course of the year they estimated they would save $250,000.
I got tired of replacing the factory plastic after every run so I checked into getting some bronze ones made. If your steering gets sloppy or you a clunk from the front end trying moving the idler arm it's probably that plastic bushing.
I don't think there are any negatives unless you start saying as long as I'm in there might as well put on a truss... then comes the heim joints....
No, just kidding, I really don't think there are any negatives unless someone can chime in. I don't like replacing things knowing they are going to go out again soon, if I'm gonna change something, I try to upgrade it somehow for it to last longer or improve it's performance.
Old 08-30-2004, 08:10 PM

Cool. But on the upgrade note, I thin I will just get the Total Chaos idler arm and be done with the whole mess.