Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

idler arm rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2003, 10:58 AM
Churnd

idler arm rebuild

my idler arm needs rebuilding and i'd like to do it myself but i'm kinda hesitant to try it. anybody know how hard it is to do the job? i saw the writeup on 4x4wire and it doesn't look that difficult but i'd like to hear from somebody who's had firsthand experience. one more thing... how do you remove a cotter pin? i've never done that before. thanks for any replies.

also, is it possible for the pitman arm to wear out? i've heard it's pretty indestructable but just wanted to be sure.
Old 01-16-2003, 11:09 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: idler arm rebuild

Originally posted by Churnd
one more thing... how do you remove a cotter pin? i've never done that before. thanks for any replies.
They usually pull out of the hole they are in. You may have to knock it out with a hammer (is that recommended?). I had one on a bike rack that was pretty stubborn sometimes. Hammer worked good. You could probably pry it out with a screwdriver too, if you had too. Try pulling it with your hand first though. Where is the pin located at?

I've never heard of a pitman arm going out. Then again, I'm not much of a mechanic either.

That's about as much of your questions as I think I know.
I'd like to rebuild mine too, so I am also curious on the responses you get.

Well, have fun.
DH6twinotter
Old 01-16-2003, 12:48 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just rebuilt my idler arm on my 4Runner. It wasn't all that difficult, but I would say that you need to be somewhat mechanically inclined. I used this write up here. It was very helpful.
If you decide to do your idler arm, I suggest that you use an air chisel with a fork in the end of it. My idler arm was really stuck on there and we couldn't get it off with just the fork and a hammer. After you take it apart you need to make sure that it is cleaned really well. Mine had apparently leaked and had some rust inside of it and on the shaft. Replacing the bushings and seal is the easy part.
Good Luck.