Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Idle crash when brakes are applied ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2003, 05:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Idle crash when brakes are applied ??

Has anyone ever experienced a problem with their 22re when comming to a stop, the brakes are applied, truck in neutral (5 spd trans) the idle is not holding? It will crash then recover, crash then recover, over and over again. If I let all the way off the brake pedal, the idle will then hold steady as a rock, but if I press on the brake pedal the slightest bit the "crash cycle" starts again. This happens when the motor is hot & cold, no accessories & all accessories, winter ~> summer. I tried to adjust the idle and it still does it no matter how I adjust it.

Sorry to be so long winded but I'm new to the board and wanted to give as much detail as possible.

Any help would be great.
Old 01-29-2003, 06:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like your brake booster might have a vacuum leak. When you apply the brakes the booster uses vacuum from the engine to increase the stopping force, but if it's leaking it may be letting too much vacuum out causing an idle problem. Although if it was leaking vacuum I would expect it to idle higher. The only way I would know how to test it is to get a brake booster from a junkyard and replace it.

Also take a look at the dashpot on the throttle body (it looks like a round cylinder with a vacuum hose going to it) if it's sticking that may cause your idle problem.

Let us know how you fix it.
Old 01-29-2003, 08:04 AM

Found the answer here

A guy on another board gave me this link that describes my problem so well, I almost thought I wrote the decription. Any way here is the link if you are interested.
Brad

http://www.geocities.com/toyotashawn/bizzareidle.html

Old 01-29-2003, 08:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
try this

Believe it or not, a guy at my office had the same problem. I can't remember if it was a 22re or not, but it was an older Toy P/U.

The problem was his radiator was low/ empty on water... who's laughing?!

Really! I couldn't believe it either... until it happened again a couple of years later. I can't remember why, but the shop had seen this before and knew exactly what it was.

Take a look!

Mike
Old 01-29-2003, 08:36 AM

Mine was doing that exact thing for a while. I had one of the EGR hoses plugged but when I unplugged it, the problem went away. That feller with that post about it did mention something about the EGR, even though none of his fixes involve it. I haven't had it happen in a while so I'll leave it be. But if it ever happens again, I'm glad I know more about it now.

Eric
Old 01-29-2003, 08:54 AM

Re: try this

Originally posted by mhawker
Believe it or not, a guy at my office had the same problem. I can't remember if it was a 22re or not, but it was an older Toy P/U.

The problem was his radiator was low/ empty on water... who's laughing?!

Really! I couldn't believe it either... until it happened again a couple of years later. I can't remember why, but the shop had seen this before and knew exactly what it was.

Take a look!

Mike
Replaced the oil pump seals, and then checked all of the other fluids and they are all full so that isn't it. It had not happened for 5 months and reappeared after the oil seals were replaced. Wierd.
Although we did notice what looked like a small coolant leak around the CTS (coolant temp sensor) mabey the CTS is going bad and that is causing it (eventhough the temp gauge still reads fine). I'll look at that and some other things and let you know what I find.
Brad

Last edited by PirateFins; 01-29-2003 at 08:59 AM.