Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

I want a Tacoma. Help me figure out what kind...

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2003, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want a Tacoma. Help me figure out what kind...

I work at a Toyota Dealership and have grown to like the Tacoma pickups a lot. I drive a lot of pickups Tacoma, Tundra, and whatever the ones that don't really have names are. I have decided for my next vehicle I want one of these. I want a Tacoma or a small pickup since the Tundra costs a lot and I don't like the T100 much, too big for my needs.

My basic wants for this are it must be a 4x4 and an Xtra cab since I may need to drive with more than 2 people sometimes. I'd like a V6 but the I4s are ok to. So I want your guys help to know what years would have these features and how much it would cost. I rather get used of course since its cheaper which means less debt for me. Help me out if you can.

Also what is the deal with the old pickups? Do they not even have names? All our books just call it Pickup. Then I assume T100 was sort of a Pre-Tundra type thing.

Also what does Pre-Runner and all that stuff mean.

Also I helped replace an engine in an old 4Runner, it was the 3.0. Everyone at work sort of agrees that engine sucks and the 3.4 was a lot better. What years were these engines available. The 3.0 used a lot of vacuum lines and stuff and is not friendly to work on. I would be doing all my own repairs so easier to work on is a plus for me.

Last edited by FourthGenHatch; 11-19-2003 at 04:02 PM.
Old 11-19-2003, 04:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Just kinda curious why you're asking all these Q's if you work at a yota dealership. Wouldn't you need to know these things? A price range would help us more than anything at pointing you in the right direction.
Old 11-19-2003, 04:10 PM
Contributing Member

what will you use it for? my 3g hatch has more interior room around the driver then my extra cab taco....

95.5 the tacos came out along with the 3.4, i think you could get the 3.4 in t-100's in 95 too.
Old 11-19-2003, 04:11 PM

I'm not a mechanic, I just change oil. I go to a Toyota sponsored school called T-TEN and I am interning at the dealership. For now I just change oil until I learn how to do more stuff in school. I've only worked there for 3 weeks so I am just starting to learn. I'm a Honda guy at heart so I never paid much attention to Toyotas until I started work. So thats why I really don't know anything.
Old 11-19-2003, 04:15 PM

Originally posted by its2slo
what will you use it for? my 3g hatch has more interior room around the driver then my extra cab taco....

95.5 the tacos came out along with the 3.4, i think you could get the 3.4 in t-100's in 95 too.
It would be my daily driver. Something that is good in snow and perhaps for some off-roading fun. My current car (which I'm not selling or anything) is a Honda Civic but its completely stripped down with a roll bar, race seats and harnesses, battery in the trunk, and is a pretty useless daily driver since it can only carry 2 people and has no real trunk anymore since I took all that crap out of it. So the truck would allow me to carry stuff and is a very functional vehicle.

Oh yeah I'm looking to spend under $20,000. If I spent that much I would be getting a loan and making monthly payments. If it was cheaper like $5000 or something I would just save up. So really $20k and under. I don't mind if it is sort of old or high mileage, these things last forever.
Old 11-19-2003, 04:20 PM

If you're discounting the 4Runner, then I'd say get a 4door taco. My dad has one. I really like his (although i'd have to have a 4wd) and you can find a 4wd for around 15-16K... I think 2001 was the first year they came out. You can actually carry passengers somewhat comfortably for sizable distances in the 4 door, unlike the ext. cabs.
Old 11-19-2003, 04:31 PM

I hardly ever have anyone besides myself and maybe my girlfriend at times in my car. So I don't want a 4 door and never use it. Thats why I want the Xtra cab, cuz there are seats there if I need them. Plus the 4 door costs a lot.

I don't want a 4Runner because they seems too expensive and too luxurious which I have no need for. Something basic is fine for me.
Old 11-19-2003, 04:33 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by FourthGenHatch

Oh yeah I'm looking to spend under $20,000. If I spent that much I would be getting a loan and making monthly payments. If it was cheaper like $5000 or something I would just save up. So really $20k and under. I don't mind if it is sort of old or high mileage, these things last forever.
if you have 20,000 get a tundra!!

id stay away from the early tacomas that had the hg recall (95.5, 96, not sure if 97's too) they arent the most reliable, although swapping in a newer engine is cheap imo (doing the labor yourself).
Old 11-19-2003, 04:37 PM

I don't have $20,000. I said if I needed that much I would need a loan. I rather save up than get a loan. And a Tundra is a lot bigger than a need in a vehicle.

And I think the ones with headgasket problems were those 3.0s I spoke of. Thats why I want the 3.4 preferably.
Old 11-19-2003, 04:42 PM
Contributing Member

Re: I want a Tacoma. Help me figure out what kind...

Also what does Pre-Runner and all that stuff mean.
Before every desert race, a man named Ivan Stewart would map out the terrain in a seperate truck, which was rightfully dubbed the "prerunner". Toyota took to this, and (I believe) colloborated with him to design the Tacoma Prerunner back in 1998.

Go here for some more history/reviews-
http://www.nctd.com/printversion-rev...m?ReviewID=567

I have a used 1999 Prerunner and love it to death....they're awesome trucks. (I do recommend the V6....the kick it has is incredible)
Old 11-19-2003, 04:46 PM

So a Prerunner is just a RWD that looks like the 4x4 basically.
Old 11-19-2003, 04:55 PM

Yup. I think you should go drive the rigs before you decide you don't want them. I thought 4door trucks were stupid too at first, but then I drove one around a bit and really started liking them. Would have bought one perhaps if I didn't need to use my rig to double as a trip-vehicle as well for ski season. The 4runner is just more refined than a pickup obviously, and the passengers appreciate it more.
Old 11-19-2003, 04:58 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by My99
...and the passengers appreciate it more.
hehe...cant argue with you on that one. My friends get violent over who gets shotgun and who has to sit in the back (xtra cab). More than once they've just laid in the bed
Old 11-19-2003, 05:00 PM
Contributing Member

And I think the ones with headgasket problems were those 3.0s I spoke of. Thats why I want the 3.4 preferably.
you think wrong, the early 3.4's had hg problems, trust me.
Old 11-19-2003, 05:15 PM
Contributing Member

So a Prerunner is just a RWD that looks like the 4x4 basically.

yes, but it has the added offroad features like a better suspension system, and a locking rear diff. that's a big deal.
Old 11-19-2003, 05:16 PM

Well then they all must have HG problems.

As for driving a 4 door I drove a 4 door Tacoma SR5 today, it was silver with 8000 some miles on the odo. Drives just like the other Tacomas so I don't really see your point. If I don't need it I don't need it.
Old 11-19-2003, 05:30 PM
Contributing Member

Ok ok....first off, we need to have a big group hug.
There....now then, its all a matter of preference. If you dont want the 4 door, thats fine. Personally I dont really like the looks of the 4 door, but thats my opinion. I know for a fact that many people think otherwise. Just get what suits you best, its all a matter of preference and opinion.
Unless proven otherwise by fact.
I think I just contradicted myself.
I give up.
Old 11-19-2003, 05:36 PM

Well I want Xtra cab because I know if I got the standard cab I would need to drive someone around and than I would regret not being able to do that. So its wishful thinking. Also gives me some room to put some junk back there if I need to.

What years was the Xtra cab available? From what I see I don't see any older looking Tacomas in anything except standard cab.
Old 11-19-2003, 05:44 PM
Contributing Member

Ummm...as far as I know, the xtra cab Tacoma has been around ever since the Tacoma was designed back in 95 or 96. It just seems that the standard is more popular. Same goes for Prerunners, to my knowledge. (though they came out in 98).
But yeah, you want the xtra cab for the same reasons I did...plus, I knew that if I got the 4 door, I'd end up having to drive my friends everywhere. Noone wants to be crammed in my backseat. This way we get to take my other friends' cars on long trips....saves me gas
Old 11-19-2003, 06:01 PM
Contributing Member

Well then they all must have HG problems.

just the ones i told you to watch out for.

http://home.4x4wire.com/erik/t100/3.4v6_headgasket.htm

seems like you have a good idea what you want

Quick Reply: I want a Tacoma. Help me figure out what kind...