Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

I think I might sell my rig...Is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2003, 06:11 AM
JSB
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I might sell my rig...Is it worth it?

Hey, I didn't think I would get into this as much as I have, but I originally bought a super clean 2WD. Now that I've been a member here I've decided I need a 4WD. The reason is because I'm starting to do some mods, and I don't want to mod for looks alone. I found a 95 Green 4WD Limited with about 10k more miles. 112k So far it seems to be in great shape. I'll need to swap current mods, and then sell mine pretty quick because I can't afford two trucks. My question is should I mess with doing this or should I be happy with my 2WD. I don't do alot of wheeling, but that's due to me only having a 2WD. What should I do? I don't want to be stuck with my current rig for too long it I do this. Any thoughts?
Old 03-04-2003, 07:17 AM
Contributing Member

JSB,

If you really want a 4wd and you can afford it, I'd say go for it. Just keep in mind that with all the incentives that are available for both new and used cars, you might have some trouble getting a premium price for your 2wd. What kind of mods have you done so far?

If you're really worried about selling your 2wd quickly, you might want to slap a for sale sign on your truck and see if you get any responses prior to buying the 4wd. If you do, just let the buyer know that you'll be removing the mods prior to selling and see if the interest is still there.

Matt
Old 03-04-2003, 08:02 AM
JSB
Contributing Member

Well I've been holding off on mods, because I can't see buying a bunch of stuff for a 2WD. So far I've done Downey Coils, Shocks, roof rack, fixing to either get Bushwackers, or wheels and tires. I thought about maybe researching a rear locker for it, but I just feel I'm wasting my money if I don't have the other half. I guess it became an issue when we had the ice storm last week. I had to drive my wifes Burb (4wd) to work because my rig couldn't handle it as well. That's when I decide screw this I'm getting 4WD. I just thought I would get some other thoughts on it, before I went through this process of trying to buy and sell at the same time. I hate selling cars. I usually sell them to whole salers to get rid of them fast.

I think I'm kicking myself in the ars like I did when i bought my 96 a while back.

Last edited by JSB; 03-04-2003 at 08:04 AM.
Old 03-04-2003, 08:09 AM

Honestly

Honestly, I'd say keep the current one. I've seen a bunch of pictures of it and I'd say you like to keep it clean, nice, and shiny. Off-roading will definately get it dirty, but if you're willing to go for that, by all means go ahead. Thats my opinion.

Zach
Old 03-04-2003, 08:15 AM
JSB
Contributing Member

True...I like to keep it clean. I wash it pretty much as soon as the weather clears up, but I wouldn't mind the offroading. I'd just have to clean it when I got home.
Old 03-04-2003, 08:59 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
JSB, if you want to get into off roading, I say go for it.

I enjoy taking mine out in nature to get away from the city.
As far as getting dirty, that is also nature of the game.

I take great pride in my rig as seen on my detail site in my sig below, and from the way I spend time on detailing it.

But I also enjoy getting it dirty from time to time.

If that is what you want, go for it.
Old 03-04-2003, 09:21 AM
JSB
Contributing Member

I think I am....I've found two rigs so far one a 95 limited with 112k on it same color as mine, and a 95 SR5 with 93k on it same color as mine. Both are 4WD. They're asking $7995 for the limited and $8695 for the SR5. The SR5 already has springs and shocks, but I'll still swap mine out if I went with it. Hopefully, I can pull the same amount for my rig. I'm just looking to break even on the deal. So if anyone is interested I'm putting mine on the market soon. The mod itch has become something more.

Last edited by JSB; 03-04-2003 at 09:32 AM.
Old 03-04-2003, 09:29 AM
Contributing Member

Am glad you're not a bling thing. Some of that crap is a serious waste of money.
I am totally in favor of 4x4, it has saved me more trouble than I will ever know. I'm not a big off roader, nor do I want to be, but I do haul stuff and tow out stuck cars, and drive on dirt and snow. There is no substitue for 4 wheel drive.
Wether you can afford it is your business though, you could probvably skip the limited edition bling and save a grand. Shop around though, thake you time...
Attached Images  
Old 03-04-2003, 09:32 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Originally posted by JSB
The mod itch has become something more.
Tell me about it

Either rig you found sounds nice.
I'd get the one that is in the best body & mechanical shape.

Also see if either rig qualifies for the infamous head gasket issue.
If they do, let Jason know, as he is having a problem right now with his gaskets.
Some were covered that year, and some seem to not be.
I feel Toyota should replace his.
Old 03-04-2003, 09:36 AM
JSB
Contributing Member

Dang you quoted me before I fixed my typo.
I here ya though. I'm probably going to lean more towards the SR5 with 93k on it. I kind of don't want the leather with it being such a high mileage truck. But if it's in great shape who knows.
Old 03-04-2003, 09:44 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

He he, I fixed it on my quote above also.

Just take your time at looking at them.
Not sure how many are where you are, but the town of Auburn I live in seems to be the 2nd gen capitol of the USA.

I can go out to the store and see about 15 or more 4Runners within a few miles of driving.
In fact I see all 4 gens daily here.

Something freaky happened last week.
Going to my place up this steep 4 lane wide road (two lanes for each direction) there was a 2nd gen 4Runner next to me going up the hill, and at that exact same moment there were two 2nd gens side by side going down the hill and right next to us at the same moment.

Talk about a Kodak moment, and I wish I had been able to take a pic of that.
It was really weird.
Old 03-04-2003, 09:46 AM

3 little letters:

SAS!! Toss a transfer case on the back of your tranny, new shafts, get a 8" straight axle for the frt, and THEN wheel it! It'll be NICE!