Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

I notice this noise with newly installed rotors and brake pads...

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I notice this noise with newly installed rotors and brake pads...

After replacing brembo rotors and brake pads…now when I drive on a smooth road I notice this sound…it is the sound of brake pads touching the rotors…is this normal for newly installed rotors and brake pads? Will this sound go away later?

Does this happen to any of you guys?

Thanks,
Henry
Old 11-01-2006, 01:48 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HenrySacto
After replacing brembo rotors and brake pads…now when I drive on a smooth road I notice this sound…it is the sound of brake pads touching the rotors…is this normal for newly installed rotors and brake pads? Will this sound go away later?

Does this happen to any of you guys?

Thanks,
Henry
Have you "seated" your brakes yet? You're supposed to break them in before they will work optimally.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:52 PM

its normal, kinda sounds like a really light scratching sound?

everytime i have ever done a break job i always notice a slight noise, just a slight rubbing, until everything breaks in, no worries. just wait till the pads seat.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:52 PM

so I guess this sound is normal and will go away after it is broake in?

I'm just worried that w didn't install every correctly...but there isn't really a lot of incorrect when installing rotors and brake pads.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:57 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by HenrySacto
so I guess this sound is normal and will go away after it is broake in?

I'm just worried that w didn't install every correctly...but there isn't really a lot of incorrect when installing rotors and brake pads.
There should be instructions for seating the pads... it only takes a few quick stops from various speeds, being careful to keep rolling and not stop all the way or you may accidentally warp the rotor.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:59 PM

Just in case anybody wants to know where to get the rotors:

I got mind slotted from the link below for $204.96 including tax & S/H.

http://www.performancerotors.com/cat...b2853e3a106411

I spent around another $45 for performance friction brake pads from AutoZone.

I spent a total of $250 for this brake job and it works great so far...my original problem (vibration) went away now...I will drive my truck for at least another 100K.

Last edited by HenrySacto; 11-01-2006 at 02:01 PM.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:02 PM

Anybody happens to have instructions for seating the pads?
Old 11-01-2006, 02:19 PM
Banned

the best way is to get the vehicle to around 40mph and bring it to a slow gentle stop. do this a few times and they will usually seat and also heat cycle.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:20 PM
Banned

also the above is what i do and i have always had good results and never a problem. just wanted to put this disclaimer because i am sure some a$$hole will come along and totaly bash everyone elses's suggestions. (noticed this a lot on yotatech)
Old 11-01-2006, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by gapboi210
the best way is to get the vehicle to around 40mph and bring it to a slow gentle stop. do this a few times and they will usually seat and also heat cycle.
couldnt of said it better myself...just dont stomp the brakes and you will be fine, you just want the face of the rotor and the face of the pad to come to a uniform seat. some light city driving would be fine to seat the pads.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:39 PM
Contributing Member

I'm having trouble finding it, but I remember reading something... AH here it is: StopTech instructions for seating pads-

Originally Posted by StopTech

Breaking in rotors and pads is critical to the optimum performance of your new brakes. When breaking in new parts, you are not only heat cycling the pads, but depositing a layer of pad material onto the rotor face as well. If not broken in properly, an uneven layer of pad material will be deposited onto the rotor causing vibration.

Virtually every instance of a “ warped rotor" is attributed to uneven pad deposition.

Typically, a heavy braking street driver will experience approximately 1 to 1.1G’s of deceleration. At this rate, ABS will be activated on such equipped vehicles. A moderate braking effort is needed to properly break in rotors and pads. A stopping force of approximately 70-80%, just short of ABS intervention or lock-up is a general estimate of pedal effort you are trying to achieve.

Note: Plated lated rotors must be driven with gentle braking until CAD plating is worn off rotor faces BEFORE starting the break-in procedure. Do not use brakes aggressively until plating is worn off, typically several miles of driving.

FAILURE TO READ, UNDERSTAND AND AND FOLLOW THESE PROCEDURES WILL CAUSE PERMANANT DAMAGE TO YOUR BRAKE ROTORS AND KEEP THE SYSTEM FROM WORKING AT IT’S FULL CAPACITY.

Rotor and Pad Break-in (continued)

After completeing installation, make a series of 10 stops from 60 to 5-10 MPH. At the end of each stop, immediately accelerate to 60 again for the next stop. Run all stops in one cycle. During the 60 to 5-10 MPH series of stops, the exact speed is not critical. Accelerate to appoximately 60 and begin the braking cycle. As you approach 5-10 MPH, it is not necessary to watch the speedometer, keep your eyes on the road and approximate your speed at the end of each cycle. After the final stop of each cycle, drive as much as possible without using the brakes to cool off the system. Ideally, the brakes should be allowed to cool to ambient temperature before using again.

DO NOT COME TO A COMPLETE STOP, AS YOU WILL IMPRINT PAD MATERIAL ONTO THE ROTOR, CAUSING A VIBRATION.

There are several indicators to look for while breaking in the system:

On the 8th ot 9th stop, there should be a distinct smell from the brakes. Smoke may be evident after several stops as well. Also on the 8th or 9th stop, some friction materials will experience “green fade”. This is a slight fading of the brakes. The fade will stabilize, but not completely go away until the brakes have cooled.

After the break-in cycle is finished, there will be a blue tint color on the rotor with a light gray film on the rotor face. The blue tint indicates the rotor has reached the proper break in temperature and the gray film is pad material starting to transfer onto the rotor face.

If racing or higher performance pads are being used, add four stops from 80 to 5-10mph and if a full race pad, four stops from 100 to 5-10 mph.

After the first break in cycle shown above, the brakes will still not be operating at their best capacity capacity. A second or third bed-in cycle is typically necessary before the brakes really start to “come in”. A “cycle” is a series of stops with a cool down in between each cycle.

StopTech does not endorse speeding on public roads. If going above the legal speed limit, do so in a safe area, away from traffic at your own risk.
Big Brake kit for Tundra/Sequoia PDF

Last edited by mastacox; 11-01-2006 at 03:10 PM.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:11 PM
Banned

never heard of a warped rotor due to uneven pad deposits. Usually cause by the rotor overheating.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:14 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by gapboi210
never heard of a warped rotor due to uneven pad deposits. Usually cause by the rotor overheating.
Well, I only quoted what's on the StopTech website. You may do what you want with the information
Old 11-01-2006, 03:16 PM
Banned

i will not bashing them just tossing in my $.02