Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

I need help spending money!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2004, 01:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need help spending money!

I just recieved over 2K! I want my 86 xtra cab to have over 2k of mods, and such. Any ideas on the subject would be deeply appreciated.

One of the things I am thinking doing is getting more air from both ends. However, I think that I will have plenty of money left after that.

Kind of don't know what to get for my truck.
Old 09-05-2004, 04:05 AM
Contributing Member

its a bit early for some of the guys and gals on here, but give them time. they will surely have ideas on how to spend your new found/short lived wealth! failing any help from them, you can always send it my way, i have some mods for my rig that i have been wanting to do for a while! hope you have fun spending the cash.

lee
Old 09-05-2004, 05:14 AM
Contributing Member

What is it's current condition, stock? What do you want to use it for, crawling or mostly on road performance & some trail duty?
Old 09-05-2004, 08:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2k hmmmm

I would buy my 4" lift off of me, which would help your 2k go farther.

Then I would get tires with the left over cash. Or maybe some lockers.

Click on the link in my signature. I have a lift for your ride that is like half the cost of a new one.
Old 09-05-2004, 08:44 AM
Contributing Member

Id but this efi package
click
Old 09-05-2004, 10:52 AM
Contributing Member

How about buy some 32x11.50x15 Bridgestone Dueler Mt's (75-80% tread) from me for $300 plus shipping. I can provide pics through e-mail.
Old 09-05-2004, 08:24 PM

3" Cornfed Suspension Lift -320
2-3" Roger Brown Body Lift -200
33" Tires (I like firestone destination) -650
Rock Sliders -300
Performanec Mods (headers etc...) -600
Old 09-05-2004, 09:06 PM
Contributing Member

First off I hate you for having that mony to spend ;-) but before I can recommend anything just need to know what you want from your truck. Is it a daily driver? Off road vehicle?::shudder:: show car?
Old 09-05-2004, 10:36 PM

Location: Bend, Oregon. 4mer Teufelhund, now a DoD Contractor
If it was me I'd go prerunner with it.
get a 4" suspension lift.
Some 33" mud boggers
Some 4:88 gears front and back and a rear air locker.
One of those tube bumpers that slants up and fwd for approaches, (what the hell are those damn things called?)
Some sliders and fender flares.
then I'd start thinkin about an intake kit and snorkel, bored out throttle body, header, and complete exhaust.
any questions?
Happy wheeling.

Last edited by MODZILLA; 09-05-2004 at 10:43 PM.
Old 09-06-2004, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by MODZILLA
One of those tube bumpers that slants up and fwd for approaches, (what the hell are those damn things called?)
Prerunner bar, I believe.
Old 09-06-2004, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by MODZILLA
If it was me I'd go prerunner with it.
get a 4" suspension lift.
Some 33" mud boggers
Some 4:88 gears front and back and a rear air locker.
Some sliders and fender flares.
then I'd start thinkin about an intake kit and snorkel, bored out throttle body, header, and complete exhaust.
any questions?
Happy wheeling.

Sliders, Fender Flares, Snorkel, 4:88? How is that a prerunner?
Old 09-06-2004, 05:43 PM
Contributing Member

Man, here I go again...

If you don't have an IRA start one. If you have debt pay it. Send next months rent early and impress your landlord. If you're in college, buy the next semesters tuition. etc. etc. etc. ending with, If you have no savings for emergencies, you do now. I don't know what situation you're in but you get the idea...

If you still have money after all this kindof jazz I'd say start with the required maintenance, tune up, rust control, tires, radiator, and such.

If you STILL have money, then consider all the big stuff, but I gotta say... $2k isn't enough if you want big lift, big power, and big truck. Don't use the $2k and get stuck needing another $2k to finish.

If I had $2k-

K&N intake, header, exhaust, frame prep and por-15, steering system flush, front bumper and rear tire carrier, tube doors. That would about eat the money.
Old 09-06-2004, 05:54 PM
Contributing Member

I saw go with his advice.
Old 09-06-2004, 06:18 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Scofco

I saw go with his advice.
ya, he "saws go with his advice"! lol. (cough cough) the "Y" button is in the middle :pat: (cough cough)

Last edited by EWAYota; 09-06-2004 at 06:33 PM.
Old 09-06-2004, 06:26 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by dajabr
Man, here I go again...

If you don't have an IRA start one. If you have debt pay it. Send next months rent early and impress your landlord. If you're in college, buy the next semesters tuition. etc. etc. etc. ending with, If you have no savings for emergencies, you do now. I don't know what situation you're in but you get the idea...

If you still have money after all this kindof jazz I'd say start with the required maintenance, tune up, rust control, tires, radiator, and such.

If you STILL have money, then consider all the big stuff, but I gotta say... $2k isn't enough if you want big lift, big power, and big truck. Don't use the $2k and get stuck needing another $2k to finish.

If I had $2k-

K&N intake, header, exhaust, frame prep and por-15, steering system flush, front bumper and rear tire carrier, tube doors. That would about eat the money.

By far the best advice given so far.
Old 09-06-2004, 10:23 PM

Thanks, this has helped me a bunch. I want to make the 86 xtra good for both off roading and street--nothing to fancy in either direction. I know it's best to have one or the other; that's why I am going to buy an 85 straight axle Toyota to go with my 86. I liked the 86 so much I want to add an 85 to accompany it. I still have 2k to spend on the 86; I believe it is best to spend money on things that you enjoy and use daily.

As of right now the 86 truck has smitty bumpers (the kind with the hood guard). It has a KN airfilter, 32 inch tires. The engine is in good shape(to the best of my knowledge) and the car runs like champ. The man that I purchased it from showed me papers about the clutch--he explained to me that the clutch was a heavier clutch(if that's good or bad I have no clue). It has bfg tires. oh, and 2 inch pipes on the exhaust (I think).

What I would eventually like to do with it is give the engine a little more power (what ever that takes), a moderate lift, open the exhaust, any electrical devices for monitoring (engine, o2, and the like), fender guards, and any type of logical mantence that will sustain the truck life span (This doesn't mean that I ain't going to 4x4 the thing like mad). The interior is a lot better than when I got it(I had a lot of work done into); however, I would like a new interior. I think that this would allow me to survey any hidden rust that I didn't see when I looked at the thing (I hate rust). Eventually, I would get it painted, but that doesn't really matter because I plan on scrapping up the paint.

Basically, I want to spend my money rationally on things that will help my truck and make it enjoyable to 4x4.

I like playing in the water and the mud, but rocks are a great deal of fun to.

My friend is going to sell me his 85 (been sitting since 94) for $100. He's offered to give it to me, but that doesn't seem fair. The thing is in total shambles. Doesn't start; his father blew the motor out, gave him the truck when he turned sixteen, but he(the son) never did anything with it--except sell the tranny when his civic needed work. I see total potential in this truck. The bed is rusted through, the interior is skrewed in the neck (the long rainy winters and the blistering hot summers can be cleary seen). The electrical is probably shot. Basically, I will buy the thing to make a RIG (AKA money trap). This is down the road and all; accept for buying the truck next weekend (I figure it's best not to pass up a deal, and I can mantain the thing much better).

thanks
Old 09-06-2004, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by MxPx_Reaver
Sliders, Fender Flares, Snorkel, 4:88? How is that a prerunner?
Well let me see. Judging by what I suggested and comparing that to what mods you've done we seem to share a similar idea of what's worthwhile.
Ok so maybe I'm off base by calling that prerunner-ish. Perhaps you would be so kind as to enlighten me then as to what exactly a prerunner is. (in your humble opinion)

Thanks.
Old 09-12-2004, 11:48 AM

Sorry if i sounded like an arse when i said that, i didn't mean it like that at all. I just thought prerunners (being 2x4) if used for off roading are mainly used for jumping and desert racing. The mods you listed seemed to be mods that would be for trail riding etc.

again sorry if i was an arse
Old 09-13-2004, 06:22 PM

Maybe u could swicth all the 86 stuff over to the 85 then u'd have a solid axle rig. I'm in the process of converting a 85 4runner to efi. I got a blown up 87 4runner for $135 bucks. So i'm taking the 87 stuff and switching it over. I just bought a new engine for it. I'm just making mine a daily driver/camping vechile. I have a ealy bronco for modifying for 4 wheeling.
Old 09-15-2004, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by MxPx_Reaver
Sorry if i sounded like an arse when i said that, i didn't mean it like that at all. I just thought prerunners (being 2x4) if used for off roading are mainly used for jumping and desert racing. The mods you listed seemed to be mods that would be for trail riding etc.

again sorry if i was an arse
Not at all!..... I'm here to learn as well as share my own experiences, and so you are correct. Pre runner being a 4x2 was what I needed to hear. So for that I thank you. I was having some difficulty believing that was all there was to it. Yes what I was indicating when then lend itself to being better suited for trail running. It sounds as though our frind with the newfound wealth is of similar intentions as us. I look fwd to following the progress. Thanks again for your input and clarification.

Quick Reply: I need help spending money!