Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

I messed something up... stuck in park!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I messed something up... stuck in park!

green arrow at top of picture points to a connection I tried to undo then realized I didn't need to do such. Could it be loose? Pressed to reconnect to no avail.

Simply replaced a stupid piece of plastic (RNDL12) on the auto trans in my 98 2wd 4runner. I must have screwed something up in my tear down. Never had any problem like this before. Car won't shift out of park. Larger button to depress for changing position screwed up. No clue. Searched the forum, checked my fuses and my bulbs. All are fine. The manual over ride function seems fine. Don't know what to do. Thanks for any help.
Old 04-01-2015, 05:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There is an electrical connector that supplies power to a solenoid when the brake is pressed, that allows you to press the button and shift. Keep looking around, you should find it.

Your pics are very small and hard for me to try to recall anything specifically.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:57 AM

Still working on it... stuck in park

Thanks for your reply. First one on 2 different boards after almost 100 views total. Relief to have someone weigh in. I have tried everything / anything.

I will look for the connection you mention. That has got to be it. I pulled with pliers rather hard on the connector pointed out in my first picture (did not disconnect) before realizing I didn't need to touch it. I will retry to reconnect this particular one on my lunch break. I will follow-up and if needed post a better pic. Thanks again for your reply.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:55 AM

better pics I hope

I tried to make sure all connections were as secure as could be. They seem tight. Car running... I place foot on brake pedal and actually see the linkage move and function as normal. Remove foot from brake and linkage moves backwards. Over and over this occurred, again, looking as though all is normal. However, when I press the side button, I can not get it to depress, thus will not go out of Park. I am beginning to think it is something less sinister. As I said, all was working fine until I took it apart to replace a single piece of plastic (PRND12 indicator). I am thinking it is something not aligned with the button mechanism. You see, when I raise the handle up, I can wiggle the thumb button in such a way that it fits properly over the "pink peg" inside the stick.(I have not yet permanently screwed the 2 screws holding the handle in place). Once button in place, I can depress and move out of Park. With button supposedly in place, I will place vehicle in park and carefully secure grip with the screws - seems logical except... can't shift car out of park! ugh! Am I missing a sleeve of some kind? Is there something "backwards" that is keeping me from engaging the "Pink Peg"? Thanks again for any help at all.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:39 AM

Look over that button really carefully. There's a white cap thing that has a wedge shape on one side. The horizontal movement of the button slides the pin downward. That white thing is on with a spring, IIRC, and could have flown off.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:45 AM

Found this picture in a thread: I was referring to piece 33625 and the spring under it.

Taken from this thread: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/s...hifter-161958/

Last edited by vasinvictor; 04-01-2015 at 11:53 AM.
Old 04-02-2015, 03:49 AM

Solved: Thanks very much

Thanks for the thread and the picture. It was helpful in my learning the problem for sure. The image though is for the shift with the button on the top. My button is on the side. Helpful none the less because it lead me to the realization that the button itself was the problem. See the picture of the spring / button above. The area in the circle is actually supposed to be the little black tab going all the way to the right of the white piece. I did not realize it was missing a small "match head" sized piece. Evidently it was brittle and fell apart when the button came out (I thought it was made this way). So, without the little piece that fell out, the peg (see second picture) seated itself in the "hole" when I put the button into the shifter. Having seated itself there, when I depressed the button to shift - it would not move. Thus, I figured the car was stuck in park. Well, it was but, it was the button that was stuck, not the transmission / shifter. What a weird thing with so many variable problems to be the potential reason - then to have found this! Crazy. New part was $38.